Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First Person Shooters

Techno 5.0

for those of you who have an ipod or a mobile device that has an FPS game on it well i think i feel your pain here.

as these games are good for their handhelds i think they could be even better. i was playing some ipod FPS games and was like man this is so limited.
as i was saying this i was considering making an ipod FPS. i wasnt at all sure where to start but i knew this would be a new found goal i would have to acomplish.

so that brings  me to this question:

What do you like in an FPS Game.
RPG elements? Multiplayer? what ever it is just name a few things and explain what they are and why you like them.
i need to know specifics so i can implent them into the game if i can.

Good level design and fun are the two biggest issues, really. For me, the most fun I had with any multiplayer FPS was with Goldeneye for the N64, and this was largely due to how the levels were designed. These days, games tend to focus more on leveling and getting achievements, but I think that just bogs a game down with unneeded complexity. You should play a game to have fun, not to unlock a ton of stuff. I admit, it's fun to unlock things, but having to grind out level after level just to unlock an option that you'll use to grind some more gets rather dull. Especially given that this would be developed for a phone, the goal is to just have a game that you can pick up for 5 minutes and have fun with - no commitment to grinding out levels, no worrying about people outclassing you if you're gone for a day or two. Just pure fun.

I look for two things:

1\. Customization. I.e. Not having the same set of weapons. Being able change them. Kinda like MW2.
2\. A bunch of bad guys to kill. Not having 4 guys in one map. Having 4 dozen. And not having a bunch of easy opponents. I want it like the MW2 Xbox Special Ops type of missions. A bunch of good people to kill.

Thanks,
Aero/EBrown

I'm not much of a console FPS fan, but I play A LOT of Garry's Mod and Counter-Strike: Source. My favorite part of CounterStrike is the ENORMOUS amount of maps,  the variety of gameplay on them and the lack of ranked guns. I'm sick of all the, "I'm level 70 Tenth Prestige!! I'm better than you!", Bullshit. I like the ability to buy weapons at the start of a round like Counter-Strike. This makes it more even, because anyone can buy a scout in Counter-Strike instead of 'leveling up' to use a sniper. That's ridiculous, then you have idiots running around saying, "Haha Noob! You have a score of 3-15!" Well maybe if you didn't have a fucking shotgun, and i didn't have this piece of shit starter gun, I'd be able to play the damn game.

Bottom line, a good FPS shouldn't be about who bought the game first and got all the guns unlocked. A person just starting should be able to kick just as much ass as a person who bought the game the day it came out. That's just my crack at the Call of Duty series though.

Second, I like the ability that many games are now adding (but Goldeneye 007 was the original) is the cover ability. It makes a game more realistic to cover behind a wall and shoot than to just run like an idiot towards them or crouch behind what little cover is above you.

Lastly, Creativity is my number one. I'm sick of playing the same maps, over, and over, and over again. Steam has a very nice map creation system, but even a simple one like Time Splitters map creator would be great. Also from Time Splitters, I like wide varieties of characters. I don't want to be a Marine every single time I play. I want to be a Monkey one day, then a cowboy the next, and maybe a couple zombies thrown in there XD

That's my take on FPS games, again I don't play many as I am not a fan, but if done correct they can be quite entertaining.

I think S4 has a good take on the Experience/Leveling system. Their levels just allow you to buy new clothes and such with money you earn. The actual gameplay is about fun and skill, and the levels and money is just to customize. So, it offers customization for those that work hard, but to those that just want to pick up the game for a match or two don't have to grind levels to be on par with everyone else.

@Ballie:

> Good level design

I'm glad you said that.
As all level designs on mobile platforms are small with no detail I plan to change that.
I'm trying to use the iPhones full capability an since a new iPhone is coming out I will defenetly try to make decent maps.

I'm trying to figure out a good intereting story for an fps. When I figure that out I'll start sketching map designs and ideas.

@Aero/EBrown:

> 2\. A bunch of bad guys to kill.

trust men, I know how u feel!
There will be atleast 7-10 enemies on the screen at once. If only I could get someone to make a controler where u plug it into the phone hole or the charger hole lol. Because the screen is rarely small. Idk how I'll make it for ipad users tho.
@Aero/EBrown:

> 1\. Customization. .

I will offer possible custom character options such as hairstyle, skin color etc.
Along with clothing combinations
you can edit your weapon with multiple colors and things like that
it's all planned :)

Anyways from what you all have said (or some of u)
u don't like leveling system
well I'll take that out
you can buy weapons and clothes
some will cost more and to make your gun or clothings look cool you have to work for the money.

Money can be achieved by spending time playing online games and getting kills.
( normal kill =$25 etc.)
or by playing missions ( special ops in mw2)

there will be a ranking system
and some sort of leveling where you go from private to commander and stuff like that but that only effects your
possibly clothing style and will possibly help unlock some hidden things aswell.

Anything else?

My quota in a FPS is the STORY!!  You need to have a good story behind the game itself…  Of course it has to be fun but here needs to be a hint of unknown?!?!  Think about Fable 2...  If you've played it then you know it has an excellent story...  Levels aren't grinding and the maps are fabulous!  The only issue is with the fact that there are more "bad guys" in the first Fable...  If you don't have a good story, then it's not worth playing more than a few seconds...  Even if it's small it has to be enough to make you want to know whats meant to happen!!  My thoughts anyway...

Nah, that actually sounds like it will be fun/good.

@escfoe2:

> My quota in a FPS is the STORY!!  You need to have a good story behind the game itself…  Of course it has to be fun but here needs to be a hint of unknown?!?!  Think about Fable 2...  If you've played it then you know it has an excellent story...  Levels aren't grinding and the maps are fabulous!  The only issue is with the fact that there are more "bad guys" in the first Fable...  If you don't have a good story, then it's not worth playing more than a few seconds...  Even if it's small it has to be enough to make you want to know whats meant to happen!!  My thoughts anyway...

Ah yes, story's are good too. I like MW/MW2's story. And how they fold together pretty well.

Thanks,
Aero/EBrown