Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Seeking Interface Artist

Helladen

I am looking for a talented artist that is able to make a complete interface set for my engine Eclipse Worlds. You will both be doing the community a service and yourself, since I am paying money for you to do it. I will not do a professional rate, but I expect that your work to be fair and to meet me somewhere in the middle.

* Art must be created by you.
* Must be a complete set and not partially completed.
* You agree that this commission jobs gives me rights to your art 100%, you may still use it in your portfolio, but you cannot resell the set or use it.

I need a menu and game interface, this will be talked about in Skype, add me via Helladen.

Take note, I will not pay unless I am satisfied with it. I will not pay upfront unless you are very creditable such as Rory.

> Edit: Wait… looks like VB6... not interested.

You don't have to do any work involving the engine. I am making it transparent like Nin Online.

> Umm, a bit off topic… Why are you wanting a new interface? I thought you moved onto bigger and better things?

I am trying to make a platform for developers to start with now rather than waiting 6 months or longer for the better engine to come along.

> It's not that, it's that I don't want to support archaic technology. Not worth the time/effort.

I am going to reuse it for a different engine. This technology is still valid for 10 years. If it works, what's the problem? A lot of people still use it in business life. I am a hipster myself with tech, but I see value in sustaining this awhile longer to transition the community to a new engine. This is step one of that plan. I need to also make converters for the other versions of Eclipse.

> VB6 valid for ten more years? it's not even a valid use-case today.

Maybe not to start from scratch with, but businesses that have applications made with it are not going to upgrade to .NET anytime soon. Remember that .NET is Microsoft's attempt at cloning Java into their own language. This is the main mistake Microsoft made 10 years ago, because they never officially had VB.NET a transition for old programs properly. They made it OO when VB.NET should never have been an OO language.

> I agree, so why are you making your engine in VB6?

It is much less work. This Eclipse Worlds engine was just picked up from an unfinished product that only took a few months to complete. Over the span of a year, I have put in a lot of work to it, but doing an engine from scratch is something I am not talented enough to do. I am not a great programmer, I am a great developer that is able to take an engine and iterate on it. This is why I am working with a different programmer. This engine is a stepping stone to attract developers then convert their games to a new engine. That's my end game plan. That's why I have been branching this out to get ready for the future.

> I know this is so off topic, so I do apologise, but what do you mean by, "This engine is a stepping stone to attract developers then convert their games to a new engine". Can you expand on that?
>
> I am getting people to make their games now and to convert them with the new engine I am working on. Basically, building a group of people using the engine so that when the new one comes out people will already have games in the works.

Dunno if you got anyone to do it, but I'd be willing to take a shot. We can discuss the payment stuff over skype, but for now there are some things that I have to say that won't change, so I'll leave them here.

1\. I don't have TONS of time. I have an hour here, a few more there, a couple on the weekend, so if I take the job I'll need some basic info and then about a week or so. (Tomorrow would be the best time for me to start)

2\. I'll be available afterwards to do any tweaking you might need, but if it becomes too much for my schedule, then I'll have to stop.

I'll also send you a pdf, and xcf file of the finished product. You can have 100% rights and do whatever you need with it. I'll pm my skype name right now, but I probably won't answer until tomorrow, so I hope this is all good, and we can get started.

> I am getting people to make their games now and to convert them with the new engine I am working on. Basically, building a group of people using the engine so that when the new one comes out people will already have games in the works.

T

So, you're "tweaking" a current vb6 engine while you work with another programmer to build a new engine? In what language? (this is all relevant in my decision making process)

> T
> So, you're "tweaking" a current vb6 engine while you work with another programmer to build a new engine? In what language? (this is all relevant in my decision making process)

It's fine, I already got someone. :P

I got a GUI already for my own games, this was for Eclipse not myself and if it is good, of course people will use it, and being paid you had no reason to deny it in the first place. I will work for money on any engine. I am not picky. Picky people typically make excuses not to do work.

Anyway, the engine is in C# using HTML5 and TypeScript.