Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Whats the most stable engine right now?

Belmont

hey guys been awhile since I posted here, but I have some free time now and im gonna start up another game, im guessing eclipse stable is the obvious choice, right? I just remember there being evolution, and one other being available, eclipse I think when I was making games using this engine

Everyone in the topic is going to say: Origins, which I personally disagree.

My opinion on this: If you take some of the best functions of origins, edit them so that they'll fit stable and put it in it, that's going to make the best engine. Both of those engines are missing stuff that each one of them have. Only thing that origins best at is stability.

Before you guys start flaming, I haven't been around origins so much, it's a strange engine for me, but, from what i heard it's pretty well done, not good enough though.

inb4robin

Origins is more stable, and has great features. I'm not sure, but I think the reason people still use Stable or EE 2.7 is for the scripting system or some other existing features like guilds, which Origins is missing. Using Stable is for if you're focused more on features with scripts, but you're going for stability, you should go with Origins.

@Belmont:

> so, origins has more features but less stable, but eclipse stable has less features but is less buggy?

No. Origins has less bugs, more stability, much more memory friendly. Probably has less features.

The only reason people still use Stable or EE is because they're afraid of change.

@☺☻☺:

> Everyone in the topic is going to say: Origins, which I personally disagree.
>
> My opinion on this: If you take some of the best functions of origins, edit them so that they'll fit stable and put it in it, that's going to make the best engine. Both of those engines are missing stuff that each one of them have. Only thing that origins best at is stability.
>
> Before you guys start flaming, I haven't been around origins so much, it's a strange engine for me, but, from what I heard it's pretty well done, not good enough though.

Let the people who've used both engines decide.

Eclipse Evolution - Old, buggy, unstable engine. I wouldn't even touch this as it's probably going to be deprecated soon.
Eclipse Stable - Fixes some Eclipse Evolution bugs buPt still lacks Stability, contrary to the name. Some steps have been taken towards fixing this but it still lacks it.
Eclipse Origins - Most current, working order of Eclipse. It's a complete no-nonsense rewrite. It has stability, as well as some features other version lacked, such as NPC vs. NPC combat. You'll need Visual Basic 6 to unlock the full potential of this version, although it is a viable option either way.

Source: I've used all three.

That would be Project Vertigo, which MrMiguu programmed from EE. It is a side scroller and it's source wasn't released because he wanted to preserve his physics code.

But yeah, obviously Origins. It was basically built on a clean slate and is extremely fast. The bugs are minimal (way less than the other versions) and are being fixed. Soon it will be (virtually) bug free.

Project Vertigo –> If you want to make a sidescroller and dont want to do too much by yourself or you are not good enough at programming to do physics by yourself it's the way to go since he released a version made in origins and fixed errors
Eclipse Evolution --> Old
Eclipse Stable --> almost the same thing as evolution and has many bugs. It lacks stability and i wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Only lazy people or people who started their game before EO should use it I think...
Eclipse Origins --> Way to go. More Efficient. More Professional. Made by the forums best programmer (Atleast the one who seems most professional. Even if he likes to code stoned or drunk )

-seal

> Made by the forums best programmer (Atleast the one who seems most professional. Even if he likes to code stoned or drunk )
>
> -seal

Biased. The best programmers are hidden, or dont comment as much. Not that Robin isn't one of the best on the forum, i just meant that there are other better programmers here too. But other then that, i think you're right.

@Zonova:

> > Made by the forums best programmer (Atleast the one who seems most professional. Even if he likes to code stoned or drunk )
> >
> > -seal
>
> Biased. The best programmers are hidden, or dont comment as much. Not that Robin isn't one of the best on the forum, I just meant that there are other better programmers here too. But other then that, I think you're right.

Stephan outclasses most of us

@Zonova:

> Biased. The best programmers are hidden, or dont comment as much. Not that Robin isn't one of the best on the forum, I just meant that there are other better programmers here too. But other then that, I think you're right.

I know plenty of them. Hell, both Emily and Jake are much better than me. I'm probably one of the only active programmers on the forum, though.

@Zetta:

> Stephan outclasses most of us

That's true, he is classier then you lot ;D.
@Robin:

> I know plenty of them. Hell, both Emily and Jake are much better than me. I'm probably one of the only active programmers on the forum, though.

Also true. So, really Robin, you bring the the spams of messages on your self. If you just weren't so damn nice, then you wouldn't get so many noobs in your inbox. Which reminds me of my first message i sent to you. I happened to save that one, and im glad i did because it brings back old memories.

> do u think u could maybe kinda tutor me. just teach me how to get really good at this stuff. really bad at this even though ive been doing it for a while. ure pretty good so I was wonerin if u could teach me.
> I dont have any thing to pay u with so maybe I could do a service, like maybe work on your game or advertise for u.anything. just teach me. like a mentor or a sensai. plz
> thanx

Thank god Robin never replied to that one…