Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Users Read.

kender the great

For a while now, I keep seeing the same threads over and over, and spam in the shout box asking about things, and then being told the same thing. So today is your lucky day for people who want to learn the basics of Eclipse.

~~~For Starters~~~

If you want to start a project, learn some of the basics first. Learn how the engine works, figure out what you are capable of, and find an idea that is suitable to your abilities. You don't have to be a good programmer to make a game using Eclipse. But learning some things in the language will save you time and possibly cash.

Searching for things that have already been posted such as tutorials, scripts, or graphics will save you loads of your time. Most people tend to ignore this part and start topics, flooding the boards with the same generic questions.

When posting about a problem, you should always search for a similar problem that has been posted before, I cannot stress this enough. Countless members have already came up with the solution to them.

The shout box is NOT a tool for you to spam your links for your topics. If people know how to help you, they will get to you eventually. Broadcasting it hardly helps, and usually ends with people flaming one another.

~~~Finding a Team~~~
Not everyone wants to work for you. So don't think that. People are usually prone to helping others, as long as they appeal to them with unique ideas, or have something in common following their interests.

You can post a topic in the Recruitment Thread that is located further down on the index. Be sure to give a complete examples of what you need, and who you would want.

Bad Example: I'm makin' a game, I need some help with the maps and makin' items such as swords, and daggers and things.

Good Example: I'm beginning a project, and I would like someone who is experienced in mapping, and can also help maintain other aspects of the game. I would like to see some screen shots of your past work, and a range of how active you are. Please direct any other questions or concerns to my email at [email protected].

See the difference? People like others when they don't sound like a beggar looking for change.

I highly recommend that you don't allow just any old person to work for you. Always ask for previous work and capabilities.

~~~Yours, Mine, and Ours~~~

I could beat around the bush, but I'll say it straight up, DON'T STEAL GRAPHICS.
If someone makes graphics,MIDI's, dogs, cats, whatever. If they say don't rip, Don't. You will only make other users angry at you, and quite possibly be warned and/or banned depending on the severity.

Just be careful of what you choose to use.

~~~Posting and Yourself~~~

You should always attempt to stay on topic in a thread. Derailing it can lead to a warn. (Chit Chat is a different story.)

Don't flame bait, or flame in anyway. It always leads to problems that we have to resolve.

Necroposting is not welcomed. What that is, is when a post is so old, it should just die. Don't revive them.

Don't double, triple, or if you have the guts to, quad post.

No explicit images. There are children on here. It's why Renzo is here.

~~~Random things to add~~~

Don't ask for Visual Basics 6.0\. Sharing software is illegal, and we take no part in it.

Watch who you pick fights with. Eclipse is bad for cliques. It's just like high school around these parts.

Chit Chat is never on topic. And I mean NEVER.

Marsh is the owner.

I'm a boy. End of story.

Remember. Everyone at some point in their life, was a complete noob. But someone has to teach you.

Well that's pretty much all I have for right now. I'll update this when more problems arise that I need to address, but for the laziest admin, I sure just impressed myself. If you have any questions, you are more than welcome to send me a Personal Message, or even contact me on MSN Messenger.

@Captain:

> @Batman:
>
> > this is all great information, but no new users will read this. -.-
>
> How can you say that. We could just get marsh to make it so when you sign up it will send a message with exactly what this says. Nice topic though man

I still doubt most of 'em would read it.

Thanks. I've just seen countless things that irked me for a while now. Decided to throw it into a getting to know eclipse thread. Once I find a better recording software, I'm going to start making more videos to help out. I'm trying to be less lazy and more productive.

@Batman:

> @Captain:
>
> > @Batman:
> >
> > > this is all great information, but no new users will read this. -.-
> >
> > How can you say that. We could just get marsh to make it so when you sign up it will send a message with exactly what this says. Nice topic though man
>
> I still doubt most of 'em would read it.

Batman, I placed it here for a reason. People who glance over it, will read it and get a heads up. If not, then that's their problem. Quit posting here.

@SoiWilliamSoi:

> Batman, I placed it here for a reason. People who glance over it, will read it and get a heads up. If not, then that's their problem. Quit posting here.

I'm not judging you or anything… I'm just saying... people tend to not read stickies. =/
I was simply expressing my sorrow about this. (I admit, not very well, but still.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...