Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pixel Movement?

mrmiguu

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you didn't want me to tell you how to do things you shouldn't have asked me to explain how to do pixel-based movement. If you want to do it your way, it's no skin off my back, but don't bother asking me in the future. It's a waste of both of our time.

@Robin:

> If you didn't want me to tell you how to do things you shouldn't have asked me to explain how to do pixel-based movement. If you want to do it your way, it's no skin off my back, but don't bother asking me in the future. It's a waste of both of our time.

I asked you about pixel-movement packet configuration. I didn't ask you how the idea worked conceptually. I already did that, and dynamically. I appreciate your help, but you questioned my already-made, already-working system which proved to be successful. I guess we're not seeing eye to eye because I changed the player's collision from the typical 32x32 tile to 1 pixel (16 pixels in, 32 pixels down).

Client-side checks are used to make the movement smooth. If you didn't check and simply allowed the player to send the packets regardless, you'd see constant vibrating when trying to walk onto a blocked tile. Or you could have no client-side handling of movement at all and wait for the server verification, but that'd cause lag.

All systems should be handled server-side. Client-side systems should be there to compliment the server-side systems, not replace them.

@Robin:

> Client-side checks are used to make the movement smooth. If you didn't check and simply allowed the player to send the packets regardless, you'd see constant vibrating when trying to walk onto a blocked tile. Or you could have no client-side handling of movement at all and wait for the server verification, but that'd cause lag.
>
> All systems should be handled server-side. Client-side systems should be there to compliment the server-side systems, not replace them.

Oh. I knew that. Collision checks are **always** server sided. I was just curious at why they aren't client sided too. But, in fact, they are.

• 4 weeks later...
They should be on both sides. Really, the main reason stuff is doing client-side as well is for two reasons:

1) To prevent latency or lag
2) To perform a sanity check; which will allow you to save bandwidth and CPU on the server

You should simply be moving the player client-side on everyones screen, and then when the packet to 'stop' is received, a location should also be enclosed. This will indicate where the player 'should' be. You can now interpolate them towards that position slowly on clients that are off. So, if I was off 4X on my client-side, I would just move for an extra update-tick/second and my copy of your avatar will now be in sync. You could just 'snap' them into place, but that's going to look jerky. :/

@Vaughan:

> They should be on both sides. Really, the main reason stuff is doing client-side as well is for two reasons:
>
> 1) To prevent latency or lag
> 2) To perform a sanity check; which will allow you to save bandwidth and CPU on the server
>
> You should simply be moving the player client-side on everyones screen, and then when the packet to 'stop' is received, a location should also be enclosed. This will indicate where the player 'should' be. You can now interpolate them towards that position slowly on clients that are off. So, if I was off 4X on my client-side, I would just move for an extra update-tick/second and my copy of your avatar will now be in sync. You could just 'snap' them into place, but that's going to look jerky. :/

Ok.