Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upgrading my Computer

antho3000

OK so I need help on upgrading the performance of my computer so i can play games such as Fallout New Vegas, Far Cry 2 and so.
here is my actual Computer performance:

O.S.: Win Vista 32bits
Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60Ghz 1.60GHz
RAM: 895 MB

Tell me what you recommend me to do or buy (please don't tell me to buy another computer because that is the last thing I want to do)

@Robin:

> @Antho3000:
>
> > If I buy a graphic card what it will improve in specific?
>
> The graphics…

I lol'd

A video card, will improve the rate at which Graphics/video's are processed by your computer.

Also.. seeing the amount of ram you have (running Vista..) You might wanna just start from scratch, and buy an all out new computer. (using your case and such still, but upgrade CPU/RAM/Mobo/GC.. Possibly PSU depending on how much of an upgrade your going for, and the current ones specs.

IF so.. there are a lot of computer nerds here that would be more than happy to help you build a nice cheap rig.

It will improve how fast things requiring graphics run, e.g. Games. In general, your graphics card, RAM, and Harddrive, and CPU are what determine how fast your computer runs. And i suppose your Motherboard… which leaves.... nothing being unimportant. So, you basically have to post all of your computer Specifications that you can find.

@Zonova:

> It will improve how fast things requiring graphics run, e.g. Games. In general, your graphics card, RAM, and Harddrive, and CPU are what determine how fast your computer runs. And I suppose your Motherboard… which leaves.... nothing being unimportant. So, you basically have to post all of your computer Specifications that you can find.

Do you know what a HDD is?

Cause from the looks of that post it doesn't appear, I have computers that I run off of USB Flash Drives..  (AKA.. No Harddrive.) Motherboard is one of the main thing that determines the speed of your computer, having a shitty motherboard, and good other components will just bottleneck and not use any of the full potential of the rest of the computer.

My tower is an example.. my good mobo fried.. and I couldn't afford to fix.. so I used my older board, and my computer lacks VASTLY because of it.
@Antho3000:

> ok so I want to buy only the tower, which specifications do you recommend me?

Are you looking to just buy one (overpriced) or build it? (can you follow an instruction manual? It's not difficult)

@Zetta:

> just get a new computer. Intel Pentium D sucks. I have a 3.2ghz Intel Pentium D and my 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo out performs it.

I ran a Pentium D 3.2GHz in my last build. Worst. Processor. Ever.

My 2.6GHz Core2Duo is 100x better.

@Antho3000:

> ok so I want to buy only the tower, which specifications do you recommend me?

You mean you want to buy a pre-made machine or want to build your own?

@[Pie:

> ICT link=topic=66387.msg715208#msg715208 date=1290562520]
> Do you know what a HDD is?
>
> Cause from the looks of that post it doesn't appear, I have computers that I run off of USB Flash Drives..  (AKA.. No Harddrive.) Motherboard is one of the main thing that determines the speed of your computer, having a shitty motherboard, and good other components will just bottleneck and not use any of the full potential of the rest of the computer.

The hard-disk drive is actually a contributing factor to game performance. Faster HDD I/O means faster data loading. It won't change your FPS, but will reduce stuttering when moving between zones, for example, and will shorten loading times.

EDIT:
@Antho3000:

> well I want to build one if it will be cheaper and it will fit my needs

In that case go make a thread about building a new computer.

@[Pie:

> ICT link=topic=66387.msg715208#msg715208 date=1290562520]
> @Zonova:
>
> > It will improve how fast things requiring graphics run, e.g. Games. In general, your graphics card, RAM, and Harddrive, and CPU are what determine how fast your computer runs. And I suppose your Motherboard… which leaves.... nothing being unimportant. So, you basically have to post all of your computer Specifications that you can find.
>
> Do you know what a HDD is?
>
> Cause from the looks of that post it doesn't appear, I have computers that I run off of USB Flash Drives..  (AKA.. No Harddrive.) Motherboard is one of the main thing that determines the speed of your computer, having a shitty motherboard, and good other components will just bottleneck and not use any of the full potential of the rest of the computer.
>
> My tower is an example.. my good mobo fried.. and I couldn't afford to fix.. so I used my older board, and my computer lacks VASTLY because of it.
> @Antho3000:
>
> > ok so I want to buy only the tower, which specifications do you recommend me?
>
> Are you looking to just buy one (overpriced) or build it? (can you follow an instruction manual? It's not difficult)

That goes for anything. Including the hard drive. If you have a shitty hard drive then it's going to bottleneck to. He wants to play games, and you want a good hard drive with a large Cache and good RPM.

I work at extreme-pc… We build custom rigs, gaming or otherwise. Anyways, as previously stated the hard drive would definitely cut down the initial load time for a rig with high capacities of memory (yours with 800mbs would definitely be included in this) Currently if you have a 5400 rpm drive, consider upgrading to a 7200rpm drive, very noticeable improvements.

You didnt specify a graphics card, so I'll assume you are either using onboard, and/or with some PCI/PCI-E adapter for VGA/DVI
If your wanting to play at high resolution, with a smooth frame-rate, and you have a PCI-E slot on your current mobo, I recommend a Radeon HD4000 series (about 1-2 years old, but for the money to performance ratio, its great!) You can probably one on Kijiji used for an even more decent price.

My last recommendation for this would be to upgrade to a 4GB dual channel kit of RAM... depending on your motherboard however: If you are on DDR3 slots, go right ahead, if not however your going into out-of date technology, and it just won't be worth your while, DDR2 is more expensive and degrading in performance)

Anyways, i'll stop typing now, and let you decide where you want to go with this. What's your budget anyways?