Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

EO - WASD Movement

Rob Janes

@Fabio:

> you do know that the purpose of wads movement is for games when you require one hand on the mouse. For most mmorpgs, the keyboard is the more important component. Tha's why it isn't supported by default

There is no purpose to it, it's all personal preference.
I personally hate using my right hand on the keyboard for games.. I have less control over it.
There's no harm in opening up the available control methods to the user in order to support many play styles, I'm going to later add custom controls to the options so the user can define their preference.

And to be honest, it's not very good in the design idea if you limit the user to using just one control method.
This is deffinately a concern you should think about in game design, recent story on this:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/07/visceral-games-hears-disabled-gamer-adding-customizable-control/

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Aydan:

> Ok tested it, works fine. Nice one pal :) Just need to make it so players can't move when typing now.

OP explained that in his code so I didn't bother.. but it's easy.
In the client go to **modInput** and find **Public Sub CheckInputKeys()**
Move your **GetKeyState(vbKeyReturn)** if statement above all the other keys in this sub.

Wrap the following around all other key presses which you don't want to be able to press while chatting:
```
If ChatFocus = False Then
        'All controls here
End If
```
If you want every key like me, just place that **End If** just before the **End Sub** of **CheckInputKeys()**

Just make sure you don't include GetKeyState(vbKeyReturn) else you'll be incapable of using the return key to input the text and release the focus.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
@Païn:

> Use space to pick-up items :P

~~I do have that…. I mean when you right click to drop an Item from the inventory screen or equip an item on the inventory screen the focus gets set on chat for some odd reason.

Not sure if it has to deal with mousedown? I deleted Call SetChatFocus..hmmm..~~

Nevermind, I fixed it. Finally.

If i type then click on theg game screen, it doesnt show im typing, but if i press enter it sends the message i wouldve typed

ie if i type hello, then click the game screen without pressing enter, it will let me move, then when i press enter to type again it will post my message saying hellowasdsafasdassadsa

• 1 month later...
I have went through and added all of the source and edited it with ease, but since I have to use Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate to edit it, I can't access a menu to Click, that I know of, so would it be possible for someone to post the actual coding they have used so I can copy and paste it?

If this isn't possible! Does anyone know how to access the menu from VS 2010 Ultimate?

@failcookie:

> I have went through and added all of the source and edited it with ease, but since I have to use Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate to edit it, I can't access a menu to Click, that I know of, so would it be possible for someone to post the actual coding they have used so I can copy and paste it?
>
> If this isn't possible! Does anyone know how to access the menu from VS 2010 Ultimate?

You can't, only VB6 will work. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Step 1\. In modGeneral, Sub SetFocusOnChat, comment out the part where it sets focus on txtMyChat.
Code: [Select]
'frmMain.txtMyChat.SetFocus

What do you mean by comment out ? I can't make it to work it say Method or data something . Can somebody help me ?