Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Isometric tests

Godlord

I am currently working on tiles for an isometric projection. Not focusing on making grass, water, dirt, etc. neither do I care about a light source atm. Generally I am making the tiles so that they perfectly fit. The lines are there to aid in my tests.

A sample so far:
![](http://www.imgftw.net/img//324712439.png)

Regards,
  Stephan.

@Anna:

> Looks good except what's with the wierd lip on the backside tiles?
>
> Also are those steep slopes the equivalent of 2 rises? Will there be multiple levels and terracing?

Not sure what you mean exactly with "lip", but if you meant the lines that form the grid, that's only there for testing if the tiles fit properly. They will be removed once I make actual tiles.

As for the steep slopes, they are the equivalent of two rises. I am actually aiming to have multiple levels and perhaps terracing in the actual game, but at the moment I am only working on the graphical part since the programming part is a different cup of tea (have to write an algorithm for rendering those tiles specifically).

Then I also have to work on the perpendicular slopes (that will make it look like cliffs). I guess I'll do that after I finish my other steep slopes.

Regards,
  Stephan.

Hmm yeah I was always wondering how to do that; obviously there would have to be a position offset for "higher" positions, but I'm not a coder so that design architecture I was never sure about.

Looking closer, never mind about my comment about the "lip", since to take out that lip the grids wouldn't line up properly. Basically I'm referring to the 2-4 pixels at the end of the top line that break the straight-edge on that perspective. It's most likely just obvious because of the thick gridlines for referential purposes, and it wouldn't be noticeable with a textured tile anyway.

@Kreator:

> Try making the grass a tad less cyan. Play with it's hue a bit. Also, some variety could be good, some grass bits could be a little darker then others or such. (:
> Nice going though. (:

Thank you for the response! That's some very useful advice you got there. The grass I made actually reminded me of the tiberium in Command & Conquer Tiberian Dawn/Tiberium Sun.

**Addendum**: made a new palette and recoloured the grass. Seems to be more lively now.
![](http://imgf.tw/120166312.png)

Regards,
  Stephan.

@Stephan:

> I just woke up and decided to layer the grass over the dirt and check the looks of it.

DUDE, I love it; it looks perfect, even without transitions!
@Stephan:

> Dirt hills!

And that looks even more 3D!

@Raiko:

> The grass looks better now.Are you gona make a game whit those tiles and also nice work.

For the veterans of Eclipse, the name "World of Glory" may ring a bell to some.