Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

An UnPopular suggestion

UnGod

As someone who has administrated forums(with shoutboxes) I think the shoutbox should be removed.

I have logical reasons why and id appriciate the concideration of this idea and any comments you all might have.

The ShoutBox is a great way to communicate with other members quickly and its a fun element of the website. but what is the cost?

a conversation in the shoutbox could be compared to a thread in the forum. there is a topic, and multiple users contribute their own thoughts. the difference between this conversation happening on the shoutbox instead of in the forums is the speed of the conversation. convenient yes but unfortunate for anyone who might of been interested in talking about the same topic a few hours/days later.

Without the shoutbox, the active community would still want to talk with their friends, and would do so in a better, semiperminant public forum that others could join in on and more people would have reason to actually check the forums for the topics that are being posted.

removing the shoutbox would greatly expand the window of oportunity for communication between a broader number of users on a multitude of inevitibly generated topics from the active community and help aleaviate the "dead" feeling of the forum with the lack of posts.

as a note, a "view unread topics" button would be nice and i think its already a part of invision forums software.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to make threads about how I need to head to the shop or how hungry I am. I see your point, however, the discussions in the shoutbox doesn't really fill enough purpose for threads, so a possible side effect is that the shoutbox disappears, and no new threads are made as compensation because there's really nothing worth making them for, and in the end it will just seem like an even deader place.

Edit: I just realised how biased I look.

The shoutbox is the part of the forum where others can talk without having to actually participate in discussion. It's the thing a lot of members look forward too.

There's no need to have it removed because _you_ want to have the community participate more in the forum. The site's had no shoutbox before, and the community was more dead than it would think to be and that was only for a day or two.

It would be cool if we could set subjects on the shoutbox and a user can type a command to participate in that subject where the discussion or debate is later moved on to a post. As long as the subjects are kept to a moderate level of debate, (which probably won't happen) I don't see a problem with something like this. It would get a good discussion going as well as increase board counts.

> Then you guys need an Irc. 
>
>  
>
>  
>
>  
>
> Only been here for 3 days. No, I don't. Continue teaching me.

I've been pitching the idea of an IRC channel, I'm discussing if we can have an experimental run with it. Of course we'd still have the shoutbox but we might be able to have better access with an IRC Channel linked to forum accounts. I think IRC would be a great idea, I really want it so I can have desktop notifications of the eclipse chat. Though, a lot of people come here just for the shoutbox and having an IRC client would lower site traffic of returning members deducting the value eclipse is worth over all, you have to keep factors like that in mind as well.

Edit: Also, welcome to the forums!

Johnson, don't you spam the forum posts anyway? Lol.

As I said in the shoutbox when this debate was actually carried on there.

OP has a point, but on the contrary, not having the shoutbox kills the reason why we're even here.

The forums are mainly dedicated to game development, (mainly)… So, apart from QA, Off Topic, and some threads...

There's no point in being around for those who are currently not doing anything game related.

The shoutbox allows fast interaction amongst people who like (or dislike) each other, but the intention is community interactions.

The forum does it, to an extent. The shoutbox just seems to fulfill it, even though there's always disagreements and debates.

> Johnson, don't you spam the forum posts anyway? Lol.
>
> As I said in the shoutbox when this debate was actually carried on there.
>
> OP has a point, but on the contrary, not having the shoutbox kills the reason why we're even here.
>
> The forums are mainly dedicated to game development, (mainly)… So, apart from QA, Off Topic, and some threads...
>
> There's no point in being around for those who are currently not doing anything game related.
>
>  
>
> The shoutbox allows fast interaction amongst people who like (or dislike) each other, but the intention is community interactions.
>
> The forum does it, to an extent. The shoutbox just seems to fulfill it, even though there's always disagreements and debates.

I concur with Richy's point. I might still be doing programming and development, but honestly outside of the off topic and debate section I really haven't posted anything as a real post for a while.