Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jungle's *new* Electronic Music

SawQuart

>! The last thread was outdated, old, and needed a revamp since most of the posts were from old songs… Anyways Mods, feel free to delete that topic or lock it since I made this new one.
>! So many of you know I made Electronic Music. I've been working a lot on my music lately now that Ive settled into High School. My songs have gotten 80+ downloads so far, and over 10,000 plays globally. Lately, my genre of interest has been Dubstep, ElectroHouse, and Fidget House. Many of you remember my old songs, and they were crappy. Well, since I was banned from Eclipse for a few months, I really focused in, spending weeks making songs compared to the hours I put in before.
>! So it is with great pleasure that I announce the new self-produced album I'm putting together, titled "Hello World" (familiar to programmers I assume haha). I'm not trying to sound too professional though, and I need feedback. The songs on my soundcloud are being updated frequently, so I need you to help me make them better.

>! All of my songs can be found at:
http://soundcloud.com/jungletoe
>! That same website made Robin's mom famous or something lol

>! **FAQ**
>! What do you use to make your music?
_A computer, a MIDI Keyboard, a BlueSnowball HD Microphone, FL Studio, and a few other things_
>! How long have you been making music?
_1 and a half years I guess…_
>! What musical background do you have?
_Piano lessons for 3 years when I was really young, and Bass Clarinet Lessons for 5 years._
>! What Electro groups/producers inspire you?
_Afrojack, Deadmau5, Skrillex, The Bloody Beetroots, Daft Punk, Bassnectar, and Sweedish House Mafia all come to mind._

Dunno about this one… but i've made a remix of you're No Harm, it has potential that piece...
PM me if you want to listen, and release as a featuring...

I want to release as a featuring not remix because it is somewhat improved.

No problem. All my songs are open for remixes, as long as you give credit.

Please let me know if you're doing a remix though, as I'd love to see what you guys did with it. I know my songs aren't anywhere near perfection, so I love it when they're improved.

Contact me for .flp files if you use FL. If you use another DAW, and want individual samples/loops, then I can arrange for that too.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't listen to the first songs (on the soundcloud). The YouTube one could use a bit of work, because some of the sounds are omfgLOUD, and the song sounds rather empty and repetitive. But keep it up and you'll get the hang of it. Essentially musick theory can be learned; Its not something you have to be born with. XD

Not the worst thing I've heard for someone making musick, that's for darn sure.

@Jungletoe:

> Its not necesarely dubstep. It has the dubstep beat, but it's not dubstep.
>
> Haters gonna hate.

You can rationalise your failings as a musician any way you want, that doesn't change the fact that you lack basic musical structure. Just sounds like you've set up a music sequencer and slapped your dick against your keyboard for a few minutes.

Way to much repeating  of the same simple sound. You need crazier more awesome sounding tones and way less repeating. Whenever you get to a new part of the song it sounds decent but then you release its just going to be in a loop like this for awhile. Some songs can pull that off but your music doesnt have enough energy. Doesnt get me pumped or sound awesome like most dubstep/whateveryouwanttocall this. Also you are mixing bass heavy beats with random high pitched electric sounds. Again it can work but it just seems like a different song.

Well, I listened to ArcAde first. I nearly killed myself. It sounded like pure noise, and the switching between L and R stereo tracks was a horrible idea. I don't even know what to say to it in terms of improvement besides scrap it.

I also listened to "Grindstep", and that too, got a little more on the annoying side. It sounded like a mash-up of 8-bit and a some old PC game. Then it just got repeative. As if you made a 20 second song, and looped it. You should really listen to some other people's music, get an idea of what people actually like, then attempt to create a song. As Robin said, you're missing a taste for music.

I have an idea of music, thats not the problem. Most of you who don't understand music will keep telling me to decrease repetitiveness. This is harder than you expect, and most popular musicians struggle with this today. Reducing repetitiveness is the hardest thing for a musician to do.

After posting this on actual music forums, they've told me to work on my mixing skills. This doesn't mean that my loops are bad, it just means that I'm bad at putting them together. Transitions are key here, and Ive been learning new ones.

Overall, those of you telling me to give up because I have no taste in music are wrong. I have the taste, it's just that I have a hard time switching loops.

I've been looking for somebody to help me mix (since others are _really_ good at it), so I can find a person like that, my music will improve. Either that, or I need to work on my transitions myself.

And Robin, stop trying to be offensive. I know my music isnt great, and Ive been working on it. Every time I do something you dont like, you always have told me to quit. I'm not quitting this time and I will improve. I'm sure you were the best programmer when you started learning, and I deserve the same respect others gave you when you started out. Since you say I need to mature, I would like it if you could be mature too instead of being an ass.

Everyone else: Thank you and I will try to improve. I don't think I'll post music here anymore since most of you don't understand the techniques enough to post the feedback I need (no offense, I know you're trying to help and I thank you dearly for the support and feedback you've given me thus far), and Ill post here only when my music forum tells me a song is okay.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll be sure to improve.

@Varethien:

> It's terrible and should be flagged for Harmful Dangerous Acts.
>
> Seriously give up trying to make "dubstep" type music, or music in general.  And if you plan on selling your album, expect no one to do such, no one would.

You are the type of person that makes me want to make music more. I will prove you wrong.

Yeah if you didn't notice by now, alot of these little kids here have no idea about musick theory, and are mostly trolls who are not successful at anything, even life. :P They just try to get at you by provking you because they feel dumb themselves and lashing out over the internet is the only way they know of going around it.

Keep it up. You have my crit (mostly about the loud sounds in there). And like I said, my musicians will gladly provide tutorials or help if you just ask!

<3

@Jungletoe:

> And Robin, stop trying to be offensive. I know my music isnt great, and Ive been working on it. Every time I do something you dont like, you always have told me to quit. I'm not quitting this time and I will improve. I'm sure you were the best programmer when you started learning, and I deserve the same respect others gave you when you started out. Since you say I need to mature, I would like it if you could be mature too instead of being an ass.

I don't tell you to quit because I don't like your music. I'm telling you to quit because you've been posting songs for 2 years now and you haven't improved. At all.

You seem to believe that adding new sounds to a sequencer is making music. Every time I tell you to work on your melody you just come straight back out with a new song with absolutely no semblance to music at all. This isn't me being harsh, or being mean for the sake of being mean. This is me telling you the truth. I tried taking the casual approach with you, I tried to let you down easily, but apparently you can't take a point - if you can't tell whether your song sounds good or not then you lack the basic musical talent required to make good music.

I gave you advice. I gave you a _lot_ of advice. Instead of paying attention you just kept doing what you were doing so all I'm left with is telling you to give up.

@NnsNightshade:

> Yeah if you didn't notice by now, alot of these little kids here have no idea about musick theory, and are mostly trolls who are not successful at anything, even life. :P They just try to get at you by provking you because they feel dumb themselves and lashing out over the internet is the only way they know of going around it.

Being a realist doesn't make me immature. If you want to blindly encourage everyone to do something they've shown absolutely no sign of possessing any talent in then go for it, but don't talk down to me just because I'm actually honest with my opinions. I get enough "All children are special" bullshit from our education system and Government. It's because of people like you that we're working towards the lowest common denominator in our schools. Because of that the children who actually show a sign of being intelligent or having a talent are kept back just so the parents of Drooly McRetard get to feel like he isn't being left behind.

Get your head out of the clouds and start living in the real world.

I havent showed progress? Do you want to compare my old songs with this? Ive improved dramatically. The music forum has been helping me greatly, just I haven't received any proper lessons in real life, which is the easiest way for me to learn.

> I gave you advice. I gave you a lot of advice.

You _dont_ post advice Robin, you post bullshit like this:

@Robin:

> Just sounds like you've set up a music sequencer and slapped your dick against your keyboard for a few minutes.

I honestly have NEVER gotten any legit advice from you. It's always insults.

> I get enough "All children are special" bullshit from our education system and Government.

Im not special. No one is special. Its just the amount of work you put into something that determines how good you are. It's not genetics, it's hard work. If you think otherwise, then you are just the same as the government yourself.

I have nothing against you Robin, it's just that the "feedback" you give me is always nothing I can improve with. You dont get good at something by having the genetics, you get good at something by putting in work, and I am willing to do it.

When someone tells me that I'll never be good at something, I take it personally. You are challenging me, and I accept it. I will put forth work, I am willing, and I will eventually succeed. The argument you presented telling me that Ive been trying for 2 years is bullshit. I've been at it for a year (and not actively making music for all of that year). Mozart didn't become a legend pianist in year. Olympians don't pick up a sport and win a gold metal in it in a year. The Wright Brothers didn't start thinking about planes and then fly one within a year. Improvement takes practice and dedication, and no matter what you want to tell me about how bad I suck, I will improve.

If the real world were like poor, misinformed Robin mentioned, nobody would be a musician or anything at all xD because all would give up when they are told they sucked.

And to the misguided person who told you to research "musick people liked", don't listen to them either, because everyone is different. Songs that utterly suck to others are golden to someone else. If everyone liked the same kind o musick we'd not have all the great genres there are today!

here's a list of things I think you could add to your music.
- effects (change the effect on the loops to make it less repetitive)
- breaks (let your tracks breath a little more often)
- build up (building up and breaking down your tracks at the beginning and end will make your songs easier to work with by djs)

@NnsNightshade:

> If the real world were like poor, misinformed Robin mentioned, nobody would be a musician or anything at all xD because all would give up when they are told they sucked.
>
> And to the misguided person who told you to research "musick people liked", don't listen to them either, because everyone is different. Songs that utterly suck to others are golden to someone else. If everyone liked the same kind o musick we'd not have all the great genres there are today!

Stop spelling music like that. It doesn't look cool, it just looks stupid.

As for your little quip at how misinformed I am, I'm not really partial from taking that kind of lip from a girl who wants to move to my country to mother 10 children and sponge of my tax payments for 30 years. I'm afraid the real world _does_ work like that. If you don't have talent in an area then you either don't pursue that interest or you fake it. You obviously didn't read my post. Brady has consistently proven over the last 2 years that he has no concept of musical structure, rhythm or pacing. He takes a few stock effects in his sequencer and repeats them for 3 minutes. He has _always_ done this. He has never improved. He has never taken someone's advice.

There is no build up, there is no crescendo and there is no pay off. It's just noise.

Will he find someone in this world who might be able to salvage some sort of basic enjoyment from such a thing? Yes. But the world is full of idiots.

I'm not a talented musician but I know enough to recognise when someone is making music and when someone is just dicking around with their computer. The only reason he's even able to class this stuff as techno/dubstep is because both genres have got a reputation for being 'easy' music to create by all the Classic Rock elitists.

You pointed out that everyone's tastes are different - that's true. However, that doesn't mean you can't respect a genre of music you don't personally enjoy. I'm one of those people who has songs in every genre and subgenre of music which I can enjoy. Even those I don't enjoy I can respect what has been created and can understand why people would enjoy it.

So once again I assert my point which you so blindly ignored - Talent isn't something you can gain, it's something you have. You can certainly work hard to polish that spark of talent you have, but if you're like Brady and have proven time and again than you don't possess a single shred of promise then you're never going to be able to push yourself to create anything of any value. Of course, there will always be someone like you with their head in the clouds who will blindly encourage everyone to do everything. The person doing the most damage here is you for giving him such false hope.

If he wants to continue making music that's fine, he doesn't need to take my advice. I'm not telling him to quit because I just like pushing people around, I'm telling him to quit because he simply can't do it.

Robin, Ive been at it for a year. I've barely been on the forum for 2 years. In the past year which I've been making music, I've only been able to practice fooling around with my DAW every other weekend. I'm not arguing that some people don't have talent, I'm saying that I haven't had decent time to practice making it and showcase what I'm capable of.

Anyways, new song. I made it progressive house for lolz:

http://soundcloud.com/jungletoe/unknown-flavor-jungletoe-free