Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[EO] Raids?

Justn

@Soul:

> Actually Keebler, he could mean monsters randomly spawn in a town and people kill it. A verb is very ambiguous without it's noun.

thank you soul =p sorry was just looking for some ideas of how to do it. should it be a button on the server or just random ect?

Yes, but I was making a point. This is a game development site, and people just assume they know what something means. You can not use a game mechanic concept properly if you do not know what it really is. If you break everything down and understand all the basic components, you can properly create such a feature.

For a "raid system" you need to determine what that means. Will it require coordinated NPC AI actions? Will it require synchronization of player goals? What are the risks and rewards? How should it be implemented in the scope of the entire game design?

I was asking all of these questions in my very simplistic question. You cannot just add things to an engine willy-nilly, especially for MMO development. EVERYTHING is inter-connected in an MMO, and what may seem like a small detail or independent fun feature will infact drastically affect your entire game model, from a gameplay and abstract standpoint, to a technical and performance standpoint.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with Zecora. This is a game development site. In order to develop a game feature properly, it must be thought out and dissected to its fullest extent.

One person's concept of a "Raid System" could be entirely different from another's.

From a general stand point, generically, a Raid might be essentially just a group of players, getting together in a "party" and setting off to go _raid_ some dungeon style area. Generally this would be instanced so that each party has a fair chance at the loot.

On the other hand, something a bit more interesting might be a group of NPC barbarians randomly attacking a village. In this case, all players who group up with the town guards to repel them could get some sort of reward after-words. Else the city will be doomed to continuous plundering.

Food for thought.

@Helladen:

> About the whole meaning part, not about the concept of how the mechanic works. A raid can mean many different things, it's how you design it in your game which gives it its true meaning.

If you don't look in to the meaning of a system then you can't balance out a game. Conversely you can't ask for someone to design a system for you without being able to articulate what the system must do.

This was just meant to be a discussion to hear some ideas not really looking for a hand out… My friend is working on this little idea right now... Basic concept so far is in a town, main road, ect. that normally doesnt have any npcs on it (or so it seems) but after a push of a button on the server control a message is sent to all players saying something  depending on what town or npcs are setup like "Pirates have taken over the docks defend the village=O" at that time some lower class "pirates" appear on that map. Then after 2-5 mins another message comes across "Pirates are over runnning the town defend it at all cost" then a second wave of stronger npcs spawns (or however u set it up) we have also made the npcs carry rare items that can only be received threw the npcs during these "raids". This is generally atleast for this project going to be for higher level players and to keep noobs in hiding until all the npcs are dead. Its coming along pretty good I will def post some screen shots and add this to the site once we get it alittle closer to being finished... sorry if i pissed anyone off for my first post on this topic  i was just wanting to talk! =p

yes as Pbcrazy said one person "raid" is different from another as WoW's raids are massiving killing untill u get to a box one a Conquer online Pserver i play a "raid" is when a [PM] types a command and monsters (Titans) spawn in EVERY map and when u kill it get get a certain amount of CP's (conquer points) so when asking about "raids" and how to add it i agree you should be more specific on how you want it and what it will be.