Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Been dying to try out portal 2…

I have been aching to buy portal 2\. My problem is that I have not played any of the half-life games, nor the first portal. I want to get 2 because of the co-op feature. However, I also want to be able to play the game and understand what is going on. Will I be ok with just playing portal 2, or will I need to atleast read up on the first one to understand what is happening? Also, I know the portal series is supposed to be a spin off of half-life, but do i need any true understanding to be able to better understand portal?

Let me know your thoughts if you have played a good amount/ beaten the game. Or let me know if this is one to skip…

Thanks!

@Robin:

> Portal 1 is better.

In terms of gameplay/mechanics?
In terms of storyline/ overall wow factor?
or
Is this one of those games where it doesn't need the sequel to be perfected?

Portal 1 is the perfect product. It's tight. Nothing is wasted. The rooms are fun, the humour is sharp and the puzzles are rewarding.

Portal 2 has long periods of just running around, the humour is more dull and the puzzles are easy. It's still a fun game but you need to play the original first to get the second.

Both fantastic games but Portal 1 is the winner by far.

@Robin:

> ~~Portal 1 is the perfect product. It's tight. Nothing is wasted. The rooms are fun, the humour is sharp and the puzzles are rewarding.
>
> Portal 2 has long periods of just running around, the humour is more dull and the puzzles are easy. It's still a fun game but you need to play the original first to get the second.
>
> Both fantastic games but Portal 1 is the winner by far.~~
>
> **Because I'm gay and can't tell a good game for shit.**

Fixed it for great justice Robin ;3

Portal 2 is an incredible product while the first one can't even be considered a standalone game.
I finished both single player campaing and the multiplayer one few times, and if I had money at that time I would probobly have got it legit. I didn't but if you are considering - do.

@Kusy:

> Fixed it for great justice Robin ;3
>
> Portal 2 is an incredible product while the first one can't even be considered a standalone game.
> I finished both single player campaing and the multiplayer one few times, and if I had money at that time I would probobly have got it legit. I didn't but if you are considering - do.

Don't get me wrong, Portal 2 is good. Better than pretty much all mainstream games I come across. It's just not as good as Portal 1\. The humour wasn't as sharp and the puzzles were much simpler.

I'd rate both of them in my top 10 games of all time. Portal 1 would just be further up the list.

To like portal, (in general) you don't even have to know what half life is, or that it exists! You don't need portal to get portal 2\. Portal 2 is awesome and I havn't played the original (though I'd like to, but won't because it's not long enough for me to spend money on even if it's 10$) I still think that Portal 2s Single Player (not only longer, but more story based, because in co-op valve wanted players to talk with each other instead of listen to GLaDOS talk and therefore ruining the coop experience that Portal 2s coop was ment to be) and Coop mode are awesome. Plus if you get the PC version (PS3 version comes with PC version) than you can create your own Portal maps :D

@Kusy:

> I kind of get what youre saying, but don't agree. Portal 1 nostalgia much. But the credits song was better in the first one.

It's not really nostalgia. I'd still prefer to play Portal 1 over Portal 2\. It was simply much cleaner. In the original it was actually surprising when you finally left the testing rooms and started making your way through the disused laboratories to GlaDOS. In Portal 2 you spend half the game walking through these connecting chambers. There's only so many times we can play 'Spot the only patch of portal wall in this big underground mine' before it starts getting boring, too.

The pacing was spot on and the humour was so much sharper. And seriously, how can you even begin to compare Stephen Merchant to the companion cube? I've never cared that much about destroying an inanimate object in real life. Why did I care so much in the video game? Because of the writing.

???
I didn't edit my post!? I created the post, and than I saw you post after that one (about the spoiler, which seemed to happen right after I finished posting…) and I left the topic to go do something, therefore closing my IE window.

I don't know why your giving me warnings about this.

I agree with robin. Both games are excellent, but I like portal 1 much better. The puzzles seemed much tighter and I was so disappointed that wheatly was talking to you way more than glados. She felt like a side character to me. Cave Johnson was awesome tho.

I would say buy both even tho portal 1 is short it is totally worth it, and as anyone that knows my gaming habit knows… if I'm tellin you to buy something that means something

@Gwen:

> I would say buy both even tho portal 1 is short it is totally worth it, and as anyone that knows my gaming habit knows… if I'm tellin you to buy something that means something

Same here. If I suggest you buy a game then it means it's a good game. To this date I've only bought half a dozen or so games since I got the internet.

@Gwen:

> I agree with robin. Both games are excellent, but I like portal 1 much better. The puzzles seemed much tighter and I was so disappointed that wheatly was talking to you way more than glados. She felt like a side character to me. Cave Johnson was awesome tho.
>
> I would say buy both even tho portal 1 is short it is totally worth it, and as anyone that knows my gaming habit knows… if I'm tellin you to buy something that means something

I will take your word for it then!

@Robin:

> Same here. If I suggest you buy a game then it means it's a good game. To this date I've only bought half a dozen or so games since I got the internet.

That is exactly how I feel. I am attempting to fine tune my collection of video games. Not really a big console gamer, but its nice to have a good collection on a rainy day or when entertaining friends. Thanks dude. I will probably end up getting both. I read some reviews and most people seem to like 1 better. I was interested in 2 because of co-op. However, I am sold on both. Thanks guys!