Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Robins Crystal Engine Autotiles

AbeGaiL

hello anyone knows how to use the autotiles? i download the bundle Crystalshire edition and explore the game, but when iam already in the making of maps i dont know how use the autotiles. anyone knows how? because mine was a mess..

Thanks

as Aeri said, if you don't know how EO works and don't have a high programming level in VB6, keep using EO.
What you should do is read the autotile system at the "CS:DE" and "WN"(the project on the "Robin's Amazing Package") and try to learn how the system works. So you can try to code it yourself.

Beanie's right, that's the Wind's Nocturne engine. The one from CS:DE has a horizontal scroll bar from which you can select normal, autotile, animation, fake (?), cliff and waterfall. I have no idea what the fake one is and also no clues at all as to how the cliff one works. Whenever I try to use it it ducks up the corners. I really don't know…

Augh, never mind disregard my last post.

RPGVX's tiles are 64x96 instead of XP's 96x128 for one. I believe there are some settings you can modify to change that in the source, if I recall.

But for static tiles it works like this:
![](http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/img/autotile.jpg)

Autotiles are nice, but they will slow down your game and cause lag if you heavily use them, which is why there is an option to turn them off.

I would recommend you only use autotiles for ground tiles, not necessarily buildings and mountains. Just a tip.

@Aeri:

> Also no clues at all as to how the cliff one works. Whenever I try to use it it ducks up the corners. I really don't know…

The cliff one is for walls for indoors, and well…cliffs. Only use it for that purpose.

@DJMaxus:

> The cliff one is for walls for indoors, and well…cliffs. Only use it for that purpose.

![](http://unmotivationalposters.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/captain_obvious.jpg)

-__-
Because it ducks up the corners when I use it for cliffs… What else would I use a cliff attribute for..?

@DJMaxus:

> Autotiles are nice, but they will slow down your game and cause lag if you heavily use them, which is why there is an option to turn them off.

To a point. It requires the renderer to render 4 tiles instead of 1, but apart from that everything is cached so no cycles are wasted.

If you simply optimise the graphics engine like I have done in later releases then you'll only need to turn off autotiles on shitty netbooks.

The reason you can turn them off is because Ertzel, one of our players, only has access to a shitty netbook which struggles running EO.

@Aeri:

> -__-
> Because it ducks up the corners when I use it for cliffs… What else would I use a cliff attribute for..?

Easy there man, I misunderstood what you meant. I guess I should've said that all cliff auto-tiles should be the same "height" all the way across without touching a different cliff. Basically, you can only build cliffs/walls by not having separate sections touching each other, unless you're switching in between regular tiles and auto-tiling. Of course, like everything else, it can be modified in the source.

The WN version is bugged to high hell, not to mention running as fast as your average American jogger.

It was just me screwing around trying to get a working system. What I learnt programming that system was put in to practise when I developed the Crystalshire engine, allowing me to make a completely cached and, more importantly, working system in an hour.