Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crystalshire:Developer's Edition-For Dummies

Rob Janes

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those wanting to try it out as it currently stands, you can download the tech-demo 'tentatively called Aloria Online' as it was a name I had for a game a long time ago and still had the domain ;) I'm cheap that way.

Bare in mind this is the build as it stands today.  There is no story, no maps, this is merely to show the engine progress so far.

You can create an account (UI still in the works) and create your character (Still in the process of taking the heads and bodies apart from the old sprites).  You can log in and enjoy map #1, a poor forest with an NPC offering a quest ;)

This includes a patcher so any updates can be installed as I release them, unless I make a change to the installer.

http://www.splatteredgame.com/Setup.zip

A few minor changes i'm working on right now.
1\. The Register Account window now displaying proper information as well as asking for
Account name
Password
Confirm Password
Full Name
Email Address
2.  After you've ran the patcher and launched the game, the game will look for a patcher update and install it incase I made a change to the patcher as well

For those who installed and tested it before, I put out a new patch, your patcher will automatically pick it up.
I just put the Register Account and Update Patcher changes live! :)

For those who haven't downloaded it yet, http://www.splatteredgame.com/Setup.zip

Looking for volunteers to join the team!

Priority of Members:
1\. Pixel Artists
2\. Mappers
3\. Sound Artists
4\. Game Designers (to design items, spells, quests, and make sure it's all balanced)

Those interested, PM me or reply here ;)

So in a way, the patcher can patch itself.

That's cool. Almost the same as Robin's. The only difference now is how you get the updates. I think Robin's new updater compare files for differences then download if there is a different. It's better than downloading like 50s version.rar

Sincerely,
Rithy

The player only downloads the patches between their current version and what's hosted on the server.  It doesnt compare file sizes, like Robin's does.

@Hammer, what do you mean make features? Did you check out the quest system, hotkey j or the who's online list hotkey o, the head/body selector, the weather system plus whatever else varies from
A stock CSDE

Can you screenshot the error so I see when you are receiving it?

Are you running it from the shortcut installed to your program files or desktop during installation?

What happens with the patcher is once it's done loading and you hit next it loads dontrun.exe and then destroys the patcher process.  If it's dieing during that phase, it's not finding dontrun.exe so it's not installed properly, or it is getting to the client and missing a file.

Take a screenshot and link it so I can better understand the issue

@Rob:

> Can you screenshot the error so I see when you are receiving it?
>
> Are you running it from the shortcut installed to your program files or desktop during installation?
>
> What happens with the patcher is once it's done loading and you hit next it loads dontrun.exe and then destroys the patcher process.  If it's dieing during that phase, it's not finding dontrun.exe so it's not installed properly, or it is getting to the client and missing a file.
>
> Take a screenshot and link it so I can better understand the issue

This is the error I get when I run the updater.

>! ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/7fd5f0d3785de90c675a2b5edea33ba6.png)

And if I try to just run the dontrun.exe after trying to update and won't let me continue, I get this.

>! ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/029ab4a4889ea570d9fad1a251c2229c.png)
So obviously it isn't updating all the way, I don't know why. (yes I do have the runtimes).

sure thats good i mean a todo list… my english is not to good i plain move my project to this source...
the wheater effect dont cause lag?
btw i have some experience at maping and item balance but i dont really like the sistem... i prephers the ee items mode.
weapon damage  base not add strg
armor defence not add end
and this is more versatile (in my opinion)... :)
sorry my english again...

check my work here
http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,69611.msg748964.html#msg748964

@HammeR:

> sure thats good i mean a todo list… my english is not to good i plain move my project to this source...
> the wheater effect dont cause lag?
> btw i have some experience at maping and item balance but i dont really like the sistem... i prephers the ee items mode.
> weapon damage  base not add strg
> armor defence not add end
> and this is more versatile (in my opinion)... :)
> sorry my english again...
>
> check my work here
> http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,69611.msg748964.html#msg748964

He already did alot of though, and your not suppose to show off your work in others forums.

Do you get the invalid procedure call when you hit the next button?  Try running game.exe as an administrator and see if you get the same issue, the only thing I can think is that insufficient permissions when the patcher calls the kill command.

I know the cause of the version outdated error, that's a screw up on my end on the server when it records a new entry into the player file, I'll have it fixed shortly.

@Rob:

> Do you get the invalid procedure call when you hit the next button?  Try running game.exe as an administrator and see if you get the same issue, the only thing I can think is that insufficient permissions when the patcher calls the kill command.
>
> I know the cause of the version outdated error, that's a screw up on my end on the server when it records a new entry into the player file, I'll have it fixed shortly.

It still didn't work, though it may just be this computer. I will try on my other pc in a short while. Thanks for everything though.

@Schnurman:

> It still didn't work, though it may just be this computer. I will try on my other pc in a short while. Thanks for everything though.

I just updated the server, you can run DontRun.exe now and play the game and make your account.  Thanks for catching that bug Schnurman.

As for the patcher, did you try running as an Admin?  If you slide the patcher out of the way when you get the error message, what files are in the folder?  is there a tmpUpdate.ini and a Game_New.exe ?

@Rob:

> I just updated the server, you can run DontRun.exe now and play the game and make your account.  Thanks for catching that bug Schnurman.
>
> As for the patcher, did you try running as an Admin?  If you slide the patcher out of the way when you get the error message, what files are in the folder?  is there a tmpUpdate.ini and a Game_New.exe ?

No problem, and yes I have tmpUpdate.ini, but I do not have Game_New.exe but I also tried to run as admin and it didnt work.

@Rob:

> For those who installed and tested it before, I put out a new patch, your patcher will automatically pick it up.
> I just put the Register Account and Update Patcher changes live! :)
>
> For those who haven't downloaded it yet, http://www.splatteredgame.com/Setup.zip
>
> Looking for volunteers to join the team!
>
> Priority of Members:
> 1\. Pixel Artists
> 2\. Mappers
> 3\. Sound Artists
> 4\. Game Designers (to design items, spells, quests, and make sure it's all balanced)
>
> Those interested, PM me or reply here ;)

Also I would love to join the team, me and my father a great musicians and I am an pretty good spriter I say so myself. I also could map if you wont or just anything else! I am just week at coding though.. But anything else is great, I don't have a "bed time" either.

A big thanks to everyone who came out and tested the game in the last few days.

Over the coming days, there's a lot in store for 'Aloria'.
1\. Additional Layers (Hair, Shirt, Pants) for complete character customization.  These layers will change depending on what you equip.
2\. Barbershops to change your hair style.
3\. Improved character creation window to select Gender, Facial Feature, and default body (yes you'll start in your underwear!!)

I'm very pleased to bring aboard many volunteers to the development team.

Schnurman - Lead Artist - creating our many sprites and layers as well as assisting in tilesets and keeping the overall artistic feel of the game on track.
Bean / Alatar - Mapping
Mbs (Not from the forums, but from Samu Games) - Community Lead

Together, I think this has a lot of potential!  I will continue posting updates as we go, and yes, the engine mods will still be available ;)

@Rob:

> A big thanks to everyone who came out and tested the game in the last few days.
>
> Over the coming days, there's a lot in store for 'Aloria'.
> 1\. Additional Layers (Hair, Shirt, Pants) for complete character customization.  These layers will change depending on what you equip.
> 2\. Barbershops to change your hair style.
> 3\. Improved character creation window to select Gender, Facial Feature, and default body (yes you'll start in your underwear!!)
>
> I'm very pleased to bring aboard many volunteers to the development team.
>
> Schnurman - Lead Artist - creating our many sprites and layers as well as assisting in tilesets and keeping the overall artistic feel of the game on track.
> Bean / Alatar - Mapping
> Mbs (Not from the forums, but from Samu Games) - Community Lead
>
> Together, I think this has a lot of potential!  I will continue posting updates as we go, and yes, the engine mods will still be available ;)

You forget, I worked on that Logo :P