Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My GUI edits (more will be coming till i get it perfect)

Chukillz

i am creating a game that is based towards the psychopathic juggalo people out there. the game look and feel even has to fit the name of the game. its called… The Wicked Realms, its going to be a theme that is set to a juggalo story line. based on the dark carnival and the wicked shit, killer clowns and freak shows.

Ok so ive been working on The Wicked Realms for a while now and i want show them off.

i will edit this post everytime i want to show something new.

The old images will go into spoilers so that they dont take up too much screen space, but here you go guys.

My first GUI attempt was really shitty, there was just alot of things wrong with it and it was ugly. Anyways, Here it is from 09/23/2011

>! ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/1417b249bbebd958f6b0965fc5b62086.png)

My second attempt (another shitty edit)

>! ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/0220f7ed49eafdd9b955df94ba3517e4.png)

***10/20/2011 Edit***
ok here is a pic of a simple edit i did to the main menu. In this one you will see a hatchetman somewhere on the background. can you find it? :P

>! ![](http://i53.tinypic.com/27xfaq8.png)

***10/21/2011 Edit***
Small edit on the menu UI, added the boarder to make it look better, moved the news section so that its not out of place.

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/54c77c00ab4b085876c2e9ba97ebd7dd.png)

Thanks again

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it has alot of style, one thing to keep in mind is don't get to caught up in how it looks, because it matters if the person can simply read it or not. Make it clear first, cool second.
I guess you already know that the words look like they are comming off the buttons eh? Yea you gotta work on that. (Do the letters then apply the shading, or whatever filters you are using.)
Alright man keep at it. Awesome stuff.

Buttons look uninteresting, font is hideous, black is generally a bad decision in UI making.
Don't write things like you did because you're asking to be laughed at… I'm sure Kreator didn't said anything about that bubble because he didn't even bother to read it.

> Try and make it reflect what your game is about.

You have no idea what my game is about. If you do then please let me know what it is about.

as for everyone elses comment (because i am ignoring Kreators comments because obviously he thinks he knows what the game is about with out even knowing the name):

I understand the fonts are hard to read…it was a font that i used just to get me started so i can see where it all needs to go...if you would all read fully then it would say that i am still working on this...still doing alot of trial and error and like i said...you can talk all the shit in the world that you want...this was my first edit and i think that with the time that i spent with it then i did a great job for my first time.

> The GUI looks like it has been made for a zombie survival or vampire game or something along them lines.

Its not.

> You're in denial.

I may be but not about this. It is still being worked on.

> Buttons look uninteresting, font is hideous, black is generally a bad decision in UI making.

I like the buttons…the font is a test font, as stated above, to see where i am wanting to take it...i like black and it is a great color for my GUI because that is the colors that the game will be based upon.

> Don't write things like you did because you're asking to be laughed at…

Laugh all you want. i dont care. but atleast i am still trying to make things work.

> I think it has alot of style, one thing to keep in mind is don't get to caught up in how it looks, because it matters if the person can simply read it or not. Make it clear first, cool second.
> I guess you already know that the words look like they are comming off the buttons eh? Yea you gotta work on that. (Do the letters then apply the shading, or whatever filters you are using.)
> Alright man keep at it. Awesome stuff.

Thank You. Atleast one person gets what i mean when i say I AM STILL WORKING ON THIS…when i put the fonts in the buttons it actually looks a bit better with that font to be hanging a bit out of the button as long as it doesnt just hang out there and completely over size the buttons, but the font will be getting changed. because, as everyone pointed out the obvious just to try to be part of everyone else, you can barely read that font. it is something that i did take in to consideration when i put this together. I wanted to see how it would look finished and such. but i am changing the font.  but yeah thank you for understanding that i am still working on this.

as far as future posts go, if you have anything bad to say about this...go ahead i dont care because it is a work in progress

Atleast i am trying and atleast i can say "hey i fixed it up that way to make it work for me"

> font is terrible as that color, maybe try it a diffrent color something brighter.
>
> a dark hard to read font on a dark back ground makes it even harder to read.

I agree with you there i am actually trying to find my idea that i had in my head from last night at 330am…

Im actually starting to wonder...What would happen if it was just words...instead of the buttons with words on them...if it would look better with just the words...

But then i get to thinking...it would take alot of the pop out of it maybe? (dont say anything bad about this comment please..i know it doesnt POP the way everyone thinks it should due to the font)

I am going to be adding a back ground image to the box that has all of the buttons on it...make it less...(ummm...im not sure of the right word)....make it so that its not over powered by the darkness of the black, i guess you could say?...it would help bring everything out more because it wont be so dark.

> Start you'r GUI from 0…. and use colors who woun't scare players away from you'r game...
> Make new buttons theese are too hard to understand.

I like the colors. if red and black scare you then, well, that sounds like a personal problem. As far as making new buttons…i am actually working on that. i just have to figure out the best way to do it. It is just a matter of finding the wicked cool fonts that would go perfect with the buttons and the game. some times the coolest fonts are not the best for the job.

Now just to put it through your brains. My game is not some happy, nice, "oh you saved me, MY HERO" type game. It is going to be a wicked, dark realm of pure evil. atleast that is what you guys will take it as. BUT there are certain people out there, who appreciate the wicked shit to the fullest and will understand the exact concept of the game. I have my target of people that i am trying to reach. I am not trying to get everyone in the world to play it and be able to enjoy it because some would be offended by it.

That is why i chose the colors that i am using. If you want to use different colors do it on your own game...

I can not explain this enough....the colors are not the issue it is the fonts and buttons.

Chukillz, stop acting like the whole world's victim.
You showed us your work, we said it's terrible and you get angry on everyone and praise someone who has a) no aesthetic sense b) tried hard to be nice.

Your work is bad, you have to start over, because working on this will get you nowhere and is just more of your time entirely wasted. The font you chosen is horrible, the fact that you like tags doesn't mean anyone want to read that… if they can read that, because I'm fairly sure half of the internet can't - because apart from it looking bad, it's impossible to read, because that's how human eyes work, they are not adapted to read black font on black background with shitloads of red glow.

Seriously man, read a comic or two, watch a cartoon on TV, look on a billboard down the road - I don't expect you to be a ducking Michael Angelo, I just tell you to acknowledge that even in Ancient Egypt people realized it's a bad idea. And being a work in progress has nothing do with it - if you want to draw a hand but instead you ended up drawing an ass you don't say "I'm gonna work on it so it looks like a hand", you scratch that and start over.

What you need to learn is not to ignore people who insult you while giving you criticism, you need to learn how to get over the insults and bad attitude of others and dig out the actual point of the message. And not because insults and bad attitude is fine and you should take it from others - because insults and bad attitude is something you get from life more often than praise and pleasantries.

And if you write ".Im sorry to pop your balloon but i think i did a damn great job for my first GUI edit" and people do make fun of you - you are catching exactly the fish you were baiting for.

And you don't have to explain yourself because people think what you did looks bad. We don't care if it was 3:30 am, I personally might start to care if you show some progress.

You've taken my GUI, re-coloured parts of it, drawn some text in a fucking awful font and scribbled all over it with an orange crayon.

I honestly don't understand how you an think this is acceptable.

Stop assuming that the kids who're saying your work is good actually think it's good. When you're in high school being liked by the other kids is insanely important. You need to pretend to think certain things are good so people will like you. Once you grow up in to an adult you stop giving a shit what some little twat thinks of you.

That's why people who aren't 12 years old and socially retarded will give you the truth. Right now you're acting like a class A idiot in your handling of this situation.

ok i have been working on a NEW GUI… i changed the buttons (but not much because i like how i did them) changed the font, moved things around the buttons. i am still working on this to get it right. I know that it might look a bit shitty but it looks better then the last one.

I dont see how this one could be any worse then the last one but i know that some of you will not like it due to the colors. I just want to say that i am still working on this and more will be added. I just havent figured out what all i am wanting to do with it yet which is why i have yet to add a map.

I am thinking about adding a News section above the inventory/party/skills images. I want to use the news part that is in frmMenu but i am not 100% sure on how i would do that yet on the frmMain.

well here it is

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/0220f7ed49eafdd9b955df94ba3517e4.png)

> Stop using that font.

Its a different font that is able to be read easily. If you cant read what the words says then im not sure what to tell you

> Red font on red HP bar… seriously?

Point taken. im not sure what color to put that with out making it look weird.

> Change little bit font of buttons… and background like cloudy style or smtn like that.

Im not totally sure what you mean by this. could you explain a bit more please?

Looking better already. I noticed you changed the gold to cash eh? So is this like a gangster type game? Just wondering. Anyway keep up the good work and don't listen to all the negativity. It does nothing but drain your energy to let someone crap all over you like that. Take it from me as I am one of the few actual professional artist on this board…there is a clear difference between constructive criticism, and unnecessary rudeness.
  Ironic that someone tried to discredit my advice by saying I have no aesthetic sense. I have the exact artistic personality that does. (That's why I have to do my projects one complete piece at a time, as I cannot stand "under construction", ugly, disfigured messes.) I recommend you do the same. Like don't stop working on that G.U.I. you are working on until it is completely finished and polished. That way it will serve as positive reinforcement every time you work on your project. If you leave it as a half way finished mess, it will do the opposite and drain your creative energies.
Yea I hear what you said about getting that you are not finished. As an artist, I know how these things are sculpted out in layers. I understand the concept of "work in progress". That's the reason I don't make ignorant comments that would only make sense if you were attempting to display your work as the finished version. Alright well keep at it man, later...

@Shaunfroggydog:

> Ironic that someone tried to discredit my advice by saying I have no aesthetic sense. I have the exact artistic personality that does.

How is that ironic at all? Might want to read up on the definition of the word.

As for your claims that this is a WIP, I'll point out that it's my GUI with a couple of colour changes.

It's the same as someone taking the Mona Lisa and drawing a moustache on. It doesn't add anything to the picture, it shows the guy to understand very little about art as well as lacking the basic ability to understand when his/her own work looks disgusting.

It's insulting when people who _do_ understand art come along and explain to him why drawing a moustache on the picture is _not_ acceptable and he kicks up a huge fuss trying to make out that he's a modern day renaissance man who's the victim of everyone in this thread.

If you've ever worked with artists and designers in the past (especially in school) then you'll know that there are some things you just can't teach. Aesthetics and colour. They might be able to get proficient by copying other people, they might even be able to blag their way out of most situations if they've absorbed enough creativity from people who naturally have it.

That doesn't mean they have the natural eye for detail which you need to actually be a good artist.

Stop pretending that someone who takes a fully formed design piece and scribbles over it in an orange crayon has graphical skills any more developed than my 3 year old brother. Hell, my baby brother can colour in the lines and won't suddenly decide to take what I'm drawing and scribble all over it trying to pass it off as art.

robin…why are you complaining about me editing your shit to make it usable to MY target base? the original look was ugly...which is why i changed it...show me where the hell i scribbled all over it with an orange crayon (and if you show me where i added the lines and numbers...that is to point out the changes i did in the first post and right after that i posted one with out the "orange crayon") every one who has used EO has edited the GUI to fit their needs...

yeah it may seem like they changed every thing on their GUI to make it look like they didnt but think about it...they edited YOUR GUI!!!why do you keep bringing this up? if you let other people use your source code then of course they are going to edit it to their needs...

dont get me wrong...thanks for the source man your way more educated then me at the coding and shit...but you need to learn not to bully people over the internet...i am honestly trying my best just to try to get a little bit of respect from you.

Now i know that your just going to say..."if you want my respect then build your own program"...yeah well if i knew how to do that myself then i would but i dont so your helping me out...

i dont disrespect any one here on these forums and i try to learn as much as i can with out being totally brought down to my knees by people who edit YOUR GUI. and then they have room to talk about me and how bad my images suck...

(not pointed at robin)The thing i want to know is how many are willing to post a pic of your GUI and then we will see what mistakes you have on your GUI or how many of you use robins GUI??

Are you willing to take that challenge?

You completely missed the point. If you made your GUI then I'd be able to help you improve it. Instead you're trying to take something which was a completed product and change it in to something it's not. This just makes it look like a schizophrenic mess.

I have no problem with people being shit at what they do. It's my job to help them through it and improve themselves. When people are more interested in saving face and arguing the points of the people who gave them feedback I just throw my cards up in the air and say, "Fuck it."

Beau is a very, very talented guy. He does better graphics than most people here. He told you the problems with your GUI and you responded with this;

> You have no idea what my game is about. If you do then please let me know what it is about.
>
> as for everyone elses comment (because i am ignoring Kreators comments because obviously he thinks he knows what the game is about with out even knowing the name)

Giving that kind of attitude to someone who has proven time and again that he's good at what he does and has gone well out of his way to improve so many people's work will turn everyone against you. That's what happened in this thread. When Kusy, Beau and I say something is beyond redemption then we're telling the truth. Just because we're not sugar coating our words like a lot of the kids around here doesn't mean our feedback isn't important.

As for your challenge, I accept it.

>! ![](http://i.imgur.com/DHAY5.jpg)
![](http://i.imgur.com/5NzOf.jpg)
![](http://i.imgur.com/xi19X.jpg)
![](http://i.imgur.com/DgSKh.jpg)
![](http://i.imgur.com/5avLm.png)
![](http://i.imgur.com/pvV1e.png)
![](http://i.imgur.com/oHjLF.png)
![](http://i.imgur.com/trKNa.png)
![](http://i.imgur.com/8absW.png)
![](http://i.imgur.com/Y8Gff.png)
![](http://i.imgur.com/yysQV.png)