Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's this?

Rob Janes

@Robin:

> It's solid advice for anything you do. Being a perfectionist and trying to get everything done before releasing it is plain stupid. Look at all the idiots in the projects section not letting shit get released before they think it's "finished".
>
> The reason I get stuff done properly is because I get it released as soon as it can be released. If something needs to be fixed I can fix it on the fly. If something needs to be changed I can change it. You need something out there as soon as possible so people can start screwing around with it and testing the things you simply don't have time to test as a single person.
>
> That's why companies have entire departments dedicated to testing shit over and over again. You can't do that by yourself so you use your players for it.

Well, yeah. I've always taken testing in mind, but never in your point of view. I just realized that what you just said should be taken by everyone developing a game as an advice. Thank you very much, and keep up the good work.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using VB6, DX8 (with Robin's Tile Engine) and the packet system, this has come really far in a short period of time.  I took the source I needed from CS and my own CS:DE edits for things such as rendering the UI, and I took my modified sprite system from Aloria so that sprites render on various layers allowing you to fully change the look of your character depending on the camo you are wearing.

Currently you can connect to the server, you are placed in the lobby, can chat in various chat channels, view your stats, change your inventory, and toggle your ready status for the next match.  Matches start every 30 seconds (if one isn't running).  So far I've only coded 'Survival' which spawns a random number of NPCs on the playing field, and once they are all dead the match ends, or if all players die, the match ends.  It properly tracks the following stats:
    PlayerKills
    NPCKills
    Deaths
    Ratio
    MinutesPlayed
    HoursPlayed
    Wins
    Losses
    GamesPlayed
    CashEarned

I'm in the process of writing a Cash Flow / Store System, will update once it's done ;)  The great thing about this style of game is the lack of having to write story or design large maps.  It's as simple as getting the mechanics down, and then launching it for players ;)

After shops, I want to add a 'Perk' system, allowing you to have 1 Active Perk on at a time, (unlocking more perks as you level up)

Perks
1\. Runners Shoes - Increases movement by +1
2\. Fanny Pack - Allows you to increase your maximum cash on hand by $1000
3\. Nameless - Hides your name above your head, letting you hide behind objects.
4\. Extra Padding - Increases your a paintball will bounce off you by 20%
5\. Gold Rush - Increases cash earned per splat.
7\. Hacker - IncreasesXP earned per splat.
8\. Bush Faced - Ability to fade into the shadows while standing still (15 second cool down)

So, something's I'd like your thoughts on…

Ammo? Unlimited ammo or have to refill your gun?  If reloading, should we allow reloading while playing a match or only in the Lobby?

Melee games? Having a hand to Hand combat match, where you can only do melee hits (melee is disabled in regular matches, but you can shoot someone standing next to you.  Should I add this style of match?

Foot step sounds? Yay or nay?

@Rob:

> Ammo? Unlimited ammo or have to refill your gun?  If reloading, should we allow reloading while playing a match or only in the Lobby?

I say have limited ammo, but have pickups in game to refill in small amounts. Adds more strategy than button mashing all day you know?

Option 2: If you had other guns to toggle through, you would have 1 unlimited gun that did minimum damage in the case that special guns ran out. You would purchase new special ammo from the shop between matches. (I prefer this idea)

@Rob:

> Melee games? Having a hand to Hand combat match, where you can only do melee hits (melee is disabled in regular matches, but you can shoot someone standing next to you.  Should I add this style of match?
>
> Foot step sounds? Yay or nay?

I don't think the melee match sounds very fun. Melee could be enabled in the normal games so that incase you run out of ammo on an ammo system, you can do a sort of all or nothing run and hit kind of move. Ads to the level of player helplessness, and it feels more realistic.  ;)

Footsteps? I could see that working if the camera followed the player on a close scope. But if you can see a full map, nah wouldn't fit.

@Rob:

> Ammo? Unlimited ammo or have to refill your gun?  If reloading, should we allow reloading while playing a match or only in the Lobby?

Yes, reloading while playing a match is better.

> Melee games? Having a hand to Hand combat match, where you can only do melee hits (melee is disabled in regular matches, but you can shoot someone standing next to you.  Should I add this style of match?

Melee matches? Ew. Instant dislike. And melee combat in a 2d Online shooter sounds pretty much.

> Foot step sounds? Yay or nay?

Yes, but make 'em listenable outside of the player view. And, if running is available, be sure to make steps more loud when running, and almost silent when walking.

Alright , I'll have limited ammo, with a reload option within the match incase you run out of ammo. 

I'll not include melee matches.

Jury is out on foot steps yet.

So ammo? Should it be an inventory object or should paintballs be a currency item and not chew up inventory space, as all guns use the same ammo, by design.

Ammo will be a limited item but won't take up 'Space' in your inventory, it will appear under your 'Cash' value as 'Paintballs'.  These items do not appear in your inventory and will not take up a slot that can be used for other purposes.  Weapons have a 'Max' ammo size that is how many paintballs it can carry before needing to be reloaded from your Paintball Reserves.

On a development note.  Stores are now done and working as intended, you can now log into the lobby, visit the shops, select the category you want to browse from and start shopping ;)

@Rob:

> Ammo will be a limited item but won't take up 'Space' in your inventory, it will appear under your 'Cash' value as 'Paintballs'.  These items do not appear in your inventory and will not take up a slot that can be used for other purposes.  Weapons have a 'Max' ammo size that is how many paintballs it can carry before needing to be reloaded from your Paintball Reserves.

And by that you mean that we're going to have to buy ammo?

> On a development note.  Stores are now done and working as intended, you can now log into the lobby, visit the shops, select the category you want to browse from and start shopping ;)

Sounds really amazing!

Yes, in the Upgrade Shop in the Paintball category you can choose to buy, Single Paintballs (If you're strapped for cash), Tubes of 10, 20, and 50 Paintballs, and Boxes of 100,200,500 Paintballs.  These get automatically put into your Paintball Reserves when purchased so you will buy it and then hit "Reload" to reload your weapon ;)

I'm working on a 'spectator' mode right now so you can walk around the map as a 'Ghost' (no visible player) while a match is already going on.

@Rob:

> I finished Spectator mode this morning, if you are in the lobby you can Spectate the current match, viewing the map by using the arrow keys.  You do not see your own character when Spectating.

Sounds amazing! Can't wait to play it! What else has to be done before I taste this awesome piece of awesomeness?

I need to tackle the following tonight and tomorrow before people can start testing

1\. Perk system
2\. Different match types (FFA, Team Death Match)
~~3\. Additional chat system functionality~~
~~4\. The who's online list and an award system - Completed~~
~~5\. Ability to view another players stats~~
6\. The top 100 lists
7\. A handful of custom sprites and tiles
8\. Update NPC AI to have different degrees of difficulty
9\. 8 Way Movement and 8 Way Firing!!!! - Completed!

I should get most of this done tonight once the missus and I are sick of Zelda tonight and she falls asleep.

@Rob:

> I need to tackle the following tonight and tomorrow before people can start testing
>
> 1\. Perk system
> 2\. Different match types (FFA, Team Death Match)
> 3\. Additional chat system functionality
> ~~4\. The who's online list and an award system - Completed~~
> 5\. Ability to view another players stats
> 6\. The top 100 lists
> 7\. A handful of custom sprites and tiles
> 8\. Update NPC AI to have different degrees of difficulty
>
> I should get most of this done tonight once the missus and I are sick of Zelda tonight and she falls asleep.

Sounds like a bunch of work, but also sounds really amazing. Good luck on that!

It's really not too much work, the viewing scores is simple as it already stores the data and is sent to the clients, it just needs to be displayed.  Same goes or the top 100 list.  The NPC AI will simply be making new types that move faster, reload faster and see you farther away.  The match types won't be too hard either.  It'll be 3-4 hours of solid coding with a beer and pizza.  Something to do when the boss goes to bed and I can sneak downstairs to get some work done.

@Rob:

> It's really not too much work, the viewing scores is simple as it already stores the data and is sent to the clients, it just needs to be displayed.  Same goes or the top 100 list.  The NPC AI will simply be making new types that move faster, reload faster and see you farther away.  The match types won't be too hard either.  **It'll be 3-4 hours of solid coding with a beer and pizza.**  Something to do when the boss goes to bed and I can sneak downstairs to get some work done.

Aah, Programmers. Transforming beer and pizza to a game since both were invented. I really admire you.

I think one thing I'd like to do is have 8 way movement and 8 way shooting, that'd really add a whole different dimension to the game, not sure if I'll include that during beta phases or not, it's a bit tricky to program as I'd need to add it for players, NPCs and projectiles

1\. Perk system
2\. Different match types (FFA, Team Death Match)
~~3\. Additional chat system functionality~~
~~4\. The who's online list and an award system - Completed~~
~~5\. Ability to view another players stats~~
6\. The top 100 lists
7\. A handful of custom sprites and tiles
~~8\. Update NPC AI to have different degrees of difficulty~~
~~9\. 8 Way Movement and 8 Way Firing!!!! - Completed!~~

Just the latest strike out list, getting through all the systems fairly quickly.  8 way movement and 8 way firing was pretty fun to do, it certainly adds a whole new layer of suspense to the game!

@Rob:

> 1\. Perk system
> 2\. Different match types (FFA, Team Death Match)
> ~~3\. Additional chat system functionality~~
> ~~4\. The who's online list and an award system - Completed~~
> ~~5\. Ability to view another players stats~~
> 6\. The top 100 lists
> 7\. A handful of custom sprites and tiles
> ~~8\. Update NPC AI to have different degrees of difficulty~~
> ~~9\. 8 Way Movement and 8 Way Firing!!!! - Completed!~~
>
> Just the latest strike out list, getting through all the systems fairly quickly.  8 way movement and 8 way firing was pretty fun to do, it certainly adds a whole new layer of suspense to the game!

That was pretty fast, lol. Are the graphics being done as well, so we can get to play sooner?

Video of 8 Way Movement, with 8 Way Shooting and Aggressive NPC AI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ZZkyeX-N0
If it looks like Aloria, it's because I haven't done any new sprites or tiles for this yet, and haven't ported in the ones from the other build ;)  You get the idea of how fast paced this can become though.