Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Whats the best/fastest way to back up your game?

lel

Ok so I'll build parts of my game, and then I'll copy the whole file ( that has all of the client and server  and everything else in it.) I'll then paste it on to my USB Flash drive and replace the old file.
With it being a 200 MB+ file…. It takes a while.
Lets pretend that I don't add any more graphics, sound, or music or anything like that. I just make a few maps,NPC's,Items, ect... with all the old data (already on the Back up.)
I imagine I don't need to copy all the files over again... In that case which files do I need to back up?

If I add some new graphics, music, sounds, or ect......... Do I only need to add those small additions as well as a small amount of other files?  Or is backing up every single file just the best way to go?

Unless you want to purchase something that can scan the modified dates and updated just what you changed then the fasted way would be to select your game folder and hit shift+del… JK. every file seperately and overwrite the backup.

Or be anal like myself and always make a new backup zip named the date.
Then every month put those backups in a folder with the month/year as the name.
then every year put those folders in a folder with the year as the name.
Then every decade... jk...

OMG Shadowwulf! Help me! I was doing everything you said as I was reading it and after the "shift+del" part my game disappeared, and I have no idea where it went! Where does "shift+del" send your files? Is there a web address or something?

Just Kidding >.>

Okay, thanks for the advice.

Make a giant backup folder and hope your harddrive doesn't fail. Never had a problem with losing work in the last 7 years.

Invest in quality harddrives. I use a 10,000 RPM high-end black Caviar 1tB for my Windows drive and a power-saving 7,500 RPM green Caviar 2tB of non-critical file storage.

![](http://i.imgur.com/o4sSs.png)

Keep an up-to-date copy of your game on a webhost or trust some friends with it just in case of emergencies. Or just keep using your little stick and stop caring about transfer times.

There are two types of backups.

One which you can revert to when you computer blows up and one which you can revert to when you fuck up your source code.

For the former you just need an up-to-date copy and for the latter you should keep a copy of every major version so you can look back as far as you need.

For the former you should keep a few external copies flying around and for the latter you should keep a big folder.

Simples.

Robin's way is the simplest way I can think of. It's easy and it work so I would suggest that.

However, there are software that do it for you. I'm not sure what my school use but it back up the files everytime we save it(harsh changed). It keep 10 of the most recent back up and 10 custom back up. It look like an addon for Visual Studios 2010 but I believe it can work as a standalone.. I tried google for it and this is what I found:
http://www.ghacks.net/2011/03/11/protect-your-source-code-with-source-backup/
http://www.snapbackup.org/

Sincerely,
Rithy