Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Forum Conversion

Lycrios

Hello fellow Eclipsians,

Within the next 24-48 hours we will be switching over to a new forum software that offers an extreme performance boost. Please keep in mind that means any posts from here forward will not be transferred. Including this one.

There will be a new shoutbox as well. The whole reason some members still come around. If you have any questions/comments or concerns just leave a post here while you still can.

Regards,

Web Management Lead

Lycrios

> Actually we'll be going over to MyBB to allow for a hell of a lot more customization. The community will dislike it at first because new things are always terrible BUT I promise it will be a great thing!

I think it's a good move, would have a lot more freedom in developing the forum and won't be paying ridiculous prices of IP.Board. Those expenses could go towards hosting instead.

> Why won't posts be moved though?….

We're only going to lose the posts which are created from this point on, all the other posts will be transferred. I thought that too, the thread wording is a bit misleading.

> We're only going to lose the posts which are created from this point on, all the other posts will be transferred. I thought that too, the thread wording is a bit misleading.

He said it much more clearly. Thank you @[member="Lenton"]

> Is this still going ahead?

Yes. We are currently splitting focus between the future java engine and the forums. We don't want to do a conversion just yet as we had planned previously without having more aspect of the new forum ready. In short, the conversion will happen but not as early as we previously planned. News on the engine will be released alongside forum conversion so you get two new things to enjoy.

> I'll believe the Java engine is a thing when it's actually got a version that is at the level of Eclipse Origins 2.0.

I don't think an Engine would need to be at that level to be useful, as honestly even 2.0 has stuff that's not really nessecary to use it as a base engine. So long as the basics are in (maps, enemies, combat and items) people can do the rest themselves if they want, and the engine can grow from there. I would much rather see a well designed barebone engine than a stuffed rushed piece of crap because people demanded features.

I believe(do not quote me on this) we are doing a barebone engine, from what I have caught by lurking around the chats with the developers and admins, we are still aiming for a barebone engine with plugins of some sort, which is in my opinion one of the better solutions to most problems with the endless discussion of the engine.