Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mmorpgs differences

gobbez

What do you think is better to see in a mmorpg ?

An high level cap , quite easy level up , and low stat per level ?
I think it's quite common in mmorpgs …

Or

A low-middle level cap , hard level up and high stats per level ?
So that player can choose to "try to level up" or "try to drop" , with 2 different maps (1 for grind and 1 for drops) .
So if you are lazy to hunt for level up , you can be paid too with your items you find :P

What do you think it's the better one ? Let me know ! :P

A high-ish level cap and easy levels.

If you push your game into the mainstream then people are most likely going to get bored trying to level up and quit.

Games with difficult levels and low level caps rarely provide good combat and if you have someone that trains 24/7 then they'll get bored after reaching your low limit.

Depends.

Leveling up makes a player feel good, but if you don't have new content for them at each level. Its a worthless number and a grind fest.

Levels normally go in-hand with giving the player new content, new quests and armor, new maps to explore. If you can whip out content for every level, and leave little to none as worthless level ups, you'll be constantly rewarding the player with this "feel good" boost.

> An high level cap , quite easy level up , and low stat per level ?
> I think it's quite common in mmorpgs .

This. One thing I liked about some MMOs, was that they gave you multiple mobs that are around the same level groups. So you don't have to grind the same monster for 5-10 levels. And it'll give you different drops and stuff.

@Rory:

> If you can whip out content for every level, and leave little to none as worthless level ups, you'll be constantly rewarding the player with this "feel good" boost.

This. ^

Anything that requires effort and proves to be rewarding, in a universal sense, make the player happy.

Another important aspect of success is how social the MMO can be. I found Maple Story to be very addictive just for the fact that I had so much control over my player's reactions with facial expressions, making him into a more real-like replica of me by translating my reactions in real life onto him. Even though those reactions in the game were exaggerated, I felt it added a lot of positive social feel to the game's general atmosphere.

well .. for the moment , the idea of my game is : a middle level cap (from 120 to 150) quite easy leveling till level 100 , with from 5 to 9 stat per level (example: 1-30=5 / 30-50=6 and so on) , and from level 100 + , it gets harder and harder till level cap , but you gain more stat points (ex: level 101 = 30 , level 105 = 31 , and so on ).

I'm going to use this idea for my game .. :D

@gobbez:

> a middle level cap (from 120 to 150)

That's your idea of a mid-point? What do you think is a high level cap?

The general formula for levelling sounds good, but I think 150 might be too far, especially when you think RuneScape is 126 and that's when people are super-obsessed with it.

@Bonk:

> That's your idea of a mid-point? What do you think is a high level cap?
>
> The general formula for levelling sounds good, but I think 150 might be too far, especially when you think RuneScape is 126 and that's when people are super-obsessed with it.

I've said middle cause i was thinking that the most mmorpg has from 100 to 150 (many has reborn system,etc ,etc) as level cap … by the way .. if 150 is too much .. i'll try with 120 or 130 .

Or .. do you think it's going to be unfair if i put 150 as level cap , but from 140 it gets really hard for a common person (i may add a few stats for 140-150s , so the difference isn't too strong) ? XD . In other terms , you don't really need to reach that level , but if you want some more stats you can try .. and if you really reach 150 , you won't be overpowered ..

You need an incentive for players to want to reach 150\. For Runescape it's all the arselicking that other players do, but maybe you could have a class that's only available to people at level 150, or a set of armour or show-offy things?

No-one's gonna grind that much without a reason.

They should make an MMO without main har levels, and instead focus on leveling the things thta have meaning, like your various weapon proficiencies and abilities, and in doing so would let you learn new new combat and spell techniques, something like that. Your character would actually literally get better, instead of you just getting a higher number and better EQ really being your main boost

@DrNova:

> They should make an MMO without main har levels, and instead focus on leveling the things thta have meaning, like your various weapon proficiencies and abilities, and in doing so would let you learn new new combat and spell techniques, something like that. Your character would actually literally get better, instead of you just getting a higher number and better EQ really being your main boost

Monster Hunter Freedom :D