Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Am I the only straight guy here who likes The Phantom of the Opera-2004?

DrNova

Wait until your family has to go watch Swan Lake, Wagner's Ring Cycle and Madama Butterfly because your Father is the patron of the Opera House.

Ironically enough I really enjoyed them. They're so dramatic and beautiful, I was close to tears. The music is truly incredible and the dancing just makes the whole spectacle so… otherworldly.

@Bonk:

> Wait until your family has to go watch Swan Lake, Wagner's Ring Cycle and Madama Butterfly because your Father is the patron of the Opera House.
>
> Ironically enough I really enjoyed them. They're so dramatic and beautiful, I was close to tears. The music is truly incredible and the dancing just makes the whole spectacle so… otherworldly.

Awwl that was truly very tear filled to see a guy say that. *thumbs up*

@Bonk:

> Wait until your family has to go watch Swan Lake, Wagner's Ring Cycle and Madama Butterfly because your Father is the patron of the Opera House.
>
> Ironically enough I really enjoyed them. They're so dramatic and beautiful, I was close to tears. The music is truly incredible and the dancing just makes the whole spectacle so… otherworldly.

faggot.
;D

Just watch it. Buy a balcony, don't think about it.

I think it's a love or hate thing. If you don't feel it, you can learn to appreciate it, but it will never move you. Then there's those of us who really feel it, it stirs you.

Especially Pas De Quatres from Lac De Cygnes. Four girls dancing perfectly in time, they're hypnotising. It's incredible how they can jump up and down and pirouette, fouetté, with no sound, simply the music - it's like they're causing the music from their dancing.

TL;DR: I might be female.

@Bonk:

> Why thank you (:
> Just wondering, Why didn't you like me at first?

Because you're gay and nobody likes you trollface.jpg

Madama Butterfly Bonk? Madama? Still, it's horridly boring. Seen only 3 operas that were not a waste of time, usually they are just an expensive excuse to get some sleep listening to pompous guido moaning.

And no Azure, you don't go watch an opera when you can't see shit. Music is only part of it, music is always the same, people singing and playing it might be better or worse, but essentially you only hear that in the more famous parts like arias or shit. Most of the spectacle is about choreography and art direction… but for the most part, it's about the ducking chairs being comfortable, because you're spending the next four goddamn hours in them.

Basically, the only moment I'm 100% sure I will enjoy when going to an Opera is when the orchestra is tuning. I could listen to that for the rest of my life.

Musicals are better anyways. And whatever reaches you via the TV is more like a musical, and that is a good thing, the only thing on the TV that I can watch for longer than 3 hours straight are westerns and samurai movies.

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madama_Butterfly](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madama_Butterfly)

That's it's name.

Besides, I personally found it amazing, the way you enjoy Westerns and Samurai films - and I can't watch those (Apart from Young Guns I & II, but that's for Bon Jovi, really).

Plus it's one of those must-see legends, like everyone's heard All Star by Smash Mouth, or the Temper Trap's Sweet Disposition. It's something that everyone's heard of and a go-to, really.

@Kusy:

> Because you're gay and nobody likes you trollface.jpg

*Sob*

Found it incredibly boring… and it pissed me off considering how everyone praises it so much. The Queen of Spades is nice, managed to keep me interested from the start till the end and it was near four hours...  The Fall of the House of Usher was good, but that's 100% thanks to the scenography and general art direction it took... probably the only "modern art" thing I even enjoyed. There also was that one Jewish thing, can't really recall the name, but it was decent.

Seen Lucrezia Borgia, was kind of meh, seen a horrid attempt at Magic Flute... with Papageno being a nigger and Ku Klux Klan references. I can remember only the best and the worst… others kind of blend together. I honestly enjoy musicals more, Cats were grand, so was Dance of the Vampires. I need to go and see Les Miserables.

Btw. if you won't watch Seven Samurai, Ran and Unforgiven, I will find you.

Next person to make a blind crack will be reported. If it's a staff member I'll take it up with Marsh. The joke stopped being funny months ago, and I'm really tired of seeing it again and again in every thread I post in.

Opera is music, you listen to music. I am not missing much just because you can see people dressed up while singing… Broadway, Opera, a Music Video. All the same thing.