Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can't seem to find an answer anywhere…

JeffSventora

I read, while working on RMXP and RMVX games for a while, that you can use the RTP as long as you are making a free game or if you buy the RMXP or RMVX license before selling a product. Basically if your project becomes large enough you should spend the like $30 on the license.

@Duders:

> I read, while working on RMXP and RMVX games for a while, that you can use the RTP as long as you are making a free game or if you buy the RMXP or RMVX license before selling a product. Basically if your project becomes large enough you should spend the like $30 on the license.

Yea that's utter bullshit.

@Duders:

> I read, while working on RMXP and RMVX games for a while, that you can use the RTP as long as you are making a free game or if you buy the RMXP or RMVX license before selling a product. Basically if your project becomes large enough you should spend the like $30 on the license.

Did you fuck. You just pulled that garbage out of your arse. Says very clearly in the license agreement that you can't use it for anything other than the RPG Maker RTP.

@Harris:

> Basically, don't be lazy and create your own graphics.

Yes, because using something pre-made which is better than anything you can do yourself is being 'lazy'. If that was the case then everyone on this forum apart from me is a lazy bastard because they use my bloody engine.

Get rid of that silly mentality.

@Robin:

> Get rid of that silly mentality.

No. If someone truly wants to create something good with Eclipse then they need to get rid of the default graphics and create their own. The visual aspect of a game is one of the main factors which will make it stand out. If you can't be bothered to create something new for something that's so important, then you are lazy.

@Robin:

> Yes, because using something pre-made which is better than anything you can do yourself is being 'lazy'. If that was the case then everyone on this forum apart from me is a lazy bastard because they use my bloody engine.
>
> Get rid of that silly mentality.

You do realize that most commercial games are built on public engines now, right? People should at least learn pixel art if they aren't programmers.

@Harris:

> No. If someone truly wants to create something good with Eclipse then they need to get rid of the default graphics and create their own. The visual aspect of a game is one of the main factors which will make it stand out. If you can't be bothered to create something new for something that's so important, then you are lazy.

1\. I'm not working on an Eclipse project. I'm building a game from the ground up. So if that makes me  less lazy, then so be it.

2\. I was not asking this question for personal gain in my project. I asked because I could not find the license without downloading the software. My true reason for wondering was because I saw some Indie projects using them and I wondered how they were bypassing any legalities associated with them using the graphics. Also, I AM using them for prototyping purposes only.

@Robin:

> If that was the case then everyone on this forum apart from me is a lazy bastard because they use my bloody engine.

I mean, yeah… everyone that uses a premade engine instead of making their own is simply lazy, at least in the sense that they don't want to spend the time to make their own engine.

@Zonova:

> I mean, yeah… everyone that uses a premade engine instead of making their own is simply lazy, at least in the sense that they don't want to spend the time to make their own engine.

I still don't get how this makes someone lazy. Robin developed Origins on top of Mirage, so isn't he lazy as well?

@Zonova:

> I mean, yeah… everyone that uses a premade engine instead of making their own is simply lazy, at least in the sense that they don't want to spend the time to make their own engine.

Open up the source for CryEngine and you tell me people who use it are lazy because they don't make their own. Lol

@Harris:

> No. If someone truly wants to create something good with Eclipse then they need to get rid of the default graphics and create their own.

So you're saying that something can only be good if it's completely made from scratch?

Good luck with that. I'll see you in 5 years when you finally have enough time to handle such a stupidly large task.

The most important part of game design is knowing your own skills and being able to work to deadlines. Learning to do absolutely everything yourself is simply impractical, especially when there are so many fantastic public resources to use.

Laziness is where you know you _need_ do something yet don't bother. Cleverness is where you know you _can_ do something yet have the ability to find a quicker, more beneficial route.

@Harris:

> So you're saying that people don't _need_ to change the default graphics?

It seems you're arguing a seperate point here. He doesn't have any default graphics. He's not using Eclipse. He's asking if anyone is aware of the license agreement for the RMXP RTP so he could use that.

The RMXP RTP is not 'default' in any definition of the term.

Just because a handful of idiots from this community gave the set a bad name doesn't mean it's a bad tileset. You can make amazing things using RMXP style graphics.

![](http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1848/devrotownts8.jpg)

@DrNova:

> i actually read a lisence of theirs that stated if your game is free you are allowed to use the graphics. I dont know if its changed since, and I dont recall where it was i read it, but it was an actual copy of the lisence agreement

Nope, nope, nope. Go read the license you agree to on their RTP download page. It couldn't be clearer.

Then you probably read it on here. Everyone swore they could do whatever they want as long as they weren't making any money off of it. Of course once I posted the license agreement people started to realise that copyright infringement is a crime regardless of income.

@Robin:

> It seems you're arguing a seperate point here. He doesn't have any default graphics. He's not using Eclipse. He's asking if anyone is aware of the license agreement for the RMXP RTP so he could use that.

Well, yeah. My argument is separate.

@Robin:

> The RMXP RTP is not 'default' in any definition of the term.

It is the default for Eclipse.

@Robin:

> Just because a handful of idiots from this community gave the set a bad name doesn't mean it's a bad tileset. You can make amazing things using RMXP style graphics.

I know, I've seen it put to good use and I prefer to the RMVX style.

For those interested, here is the response I got from Enterbrain, it was expected but hey, it was worth a shot by at least asking? :p

> Hey Jeff,
> Thanks for your inquiry.
>
> Unfortunately, the developer, Enterbrain, does not allow the material usage as mentioned even if you add some credits. The tile sets and all other materials (music, character graphics, etc.) should be used with Enterbrain products only, such as RPG Maker XP/VX and IG Maker, and should NOT be used nor sold with other software or game engines.
>
> Thank you for your understanding.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> RPG MAKER Sales Support
> http://www.rpgmakerweb.com
> [email protected]

@Harris:

> No. If someone truly wants to create something good with Eclipse then they need to get rid of the default graphics and create their own. The visual aspect of a game is one of the main factors which will make it stand out. If you can't be bothered to create something new for something that's so important, then you are lazy.

But what if you don't have the talent? That's not lazy, just untalented. You make it sound like everyone can make perfect fucking graphics. Get the fuck out.