Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thorn's games (Free!)

Thorn

Some of you might remember me. Most probably don't.
I'm taking a pretty intense two-year course on game art and design, looking at actually going into the field. In my Minigames and Prototyping class we actually make small games on a (usually) weekly basis, and I figure I might as well put them up here in case some people can have some fun playing them.
We use gamemaker for these, though we don't use the drag and drop function at all, unless there is literally no other way to perform that function within the system. All scripting, all the time.

Anyway, the first one I've got for you lot is a top-down raiden style game. Only got one level of roughly four minutes in length.

It's apparently harder than I thought it was, but it can be beaten. Especially once you get the dodge mechanics down.

Anyway, here's the url for it!
[http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CYBZJVY3](http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CYBZJVY3)

Okay, so Megaupload has died. Here's the new link.

https://rapidshare.com/files/3330160421/SixDayWar.exe

And the class that uses that also does stuff with photoshop and other things, it's about being able to quickly and efficiently get a mockup of a game going to test out the idea of it.
I'm also taking 3d modeling, scripting, industry writing and game design II this quarter.

Looks like the next game to go up will be a sidescroller, in a few weeks.
Depending on how much extra work it would be, there might be a hidden pony mode. Hard part would be finding the sprites, I'm not that great at building them from scratch.

Like I said, the big challenge is getting a pony sprite animated.
Or hell, just getting one to start with. I could probably do the animation myself, I just need a starting point. It's gotta be small, 32x32, but if someone has just a sideview of a pony at that scale I would totally drop it in and give them credit for it.
Assuming it doesn't snowball and turn into way more work then I think it would be. I'd quite like to do that.

@Thorn:

> Some of you might remember me. Most probably don't.
> I'm taking a pretty intense two-year course on game art and design, looking at actually going into the field. In my Minigames and Prototyping class we actually make small games on a (usually) weekly basis, and I figure I might as well put them up here in case some people can have some fun playing them.
> We use gamemaker for these, though we don't use the drag and drop function at all, unless there is literally no other way to perform that function within the system. All scripting, all the time.
>
> Anyway, the first one I've got for you lot is a top-down raiden style game. Only got one level of roughly four minutes in length.
>
> It's apparently harder than I thought it was, but it can be beaten. Especially once you get the dodge mechanics down.
>
> Anyway, here's the url for it!
> [http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CYBZJVY3](http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CYBZJVY3)

Gamemaker, eh? I've just started a game developers course that starts out with GM, too get the beginner's feet wet :P and then it moves onto C++, 2d and 3d :cheesy:

• 4 weeks later...
Quick personal review of your 2 projects you posted:

Six day war:
Actually I was quite disappointed that this was worse than the older demo of this gametype which was included in earlyer versions of gamemaker. The airplanes should be moving on their own and not stand still. It also gets too hard too fast. Buttons that don't react to the mouse also suck to be honest (especially in gamemaker where stuff is really easy to make). But for a first project this is ok i guess… I loved the dieing-music i love that song (mad world) :D

Lyras quest:
The first button i saw, reacted to my mouse even though he was ugly, better. Using gamemakers standard-dialoque-boxes isn't good practice i'd say but okay... The 8-way movement feels smoth and the animation-speed fits. the music isn't a good choice i think. The enemy-ai is pretty basic but i think they are too fast, especially for the first enemies... you should be able to get away from them. Enemies only attack on sight but not if they get hurt.. i don't know if that's intended but it doesn't feel so. more achievements would be cool even though this is just for testing..You should be able to turn around even though you can't move in certain directions (the part with the water... you can't turn into water-direction when on the small part of the ground). I liked the idea with the crystal destroying those parasytes... All in all this felt more like a game and is kinda cool.. ai could be better but i think this could be fun with more work. good job.

keep going, i'll follow your progress :)
-seal

Generally the stuff that I'm capable of doing is based off what we learn in class. For Six Day War, we hadn't gone over how to make the buttons change or anything. Also, once you get the faux-depth dodging going it becomes really easy. I agree that I should have had the enemies move at a different speed than the background though, they aren't attached although they look like they are.

As for Lyra's Quest, I decided to use the background music from the actual show as much as possible. I don't actually know how to change the dialogue box style or I would have.
I began scripting for the first time in my life less than six months ago, and the level of AI present is as much as I know how to do. If I had another week to work on it (I had two days to go from pretty much scratch to having that) I likely would have figured out how to make them react to being attacked. Same goes for being able to shoot up and down on the bridge. Right now you can, it's just finicky and annoying to do so.
Also, the achievement is more an easter egg than anything else.

There's a very good chance that after this quarter I'll go back and tweak some stuff in that one, mainly the ai and bridge aiming.