Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First Map

Rithy58

This was done in less than 10 minutes just to test out the tilesets, my mapping ability and the auto-tile-selection system.

The tilesets are surprisingly difficult to map with, however, they give me a lot of options. For example, the buildings are broken down into many very small pieces so it take a while to make one building but I can have thousands of combinations of different buildings.

I am open to all suggestions because after about 10 minutes, I don't know what else to do. This is pretty much the best I can do but I know I still have a lot of room for improvements.

>! ![](http://i39.tinypic.com/a1k01w.jpg)

Sincerely,
Rithy

See the collection of trees to the right of the house? You messed up a bit there.
For the rest it looks a bit decent, the ground as in the grass and the river fortunately doesn't look square but it does look a bit bald near the house (No flowers and etc).

Also when you turned in direction with the trees it supposed to have corners of trees to support the floating leafs. Perhaps if the tile set contains it, add some shade marks to the house, it looks a bit square to me at this moment.

@Rusher:

> See the collection of trees to the right of the house? You messed up a bit there.
> For the rest it looks a bit decent, the ground as in the grass and the river fortunately doesn't look square but it does look a bit bald near the house (No flowers and etc).
>
> Also when you turned in direction with the trees it supposed to have corners of trees to support the floating leafs. Perhaps if the tile set contains it, add some shade marks to the house, it looks a bit square to me at this moment.

Oh, I know why I messed up there. What happen was, I actually did have trees supporting the "floating leaves" but decided to put a river there instead and so I messed up the collection of tree and the "floating leaves." I actually have Auto-Tile-Selection coded in so I can avoid having square stuff easily. As for the "bald," I notice that, too. I'm not sure what I can do about it. I tend to make it worse if I try to put flowers and stuff, you know. Like decorate with details.

Sincerely,
Rithy

@Rithy58:

> Oh, I know why I messed up there. What happen was, I actually did have trees supporting the "floating leaves" but decided to put a river there instead and so I messed up the collection of tree and the "floating leaves." I actually have Auto-Tile-Selection coded in so I can avoid having square stuff easily. As for the "bald," I notice that, too. I'm not sure what I can do about it. I tend to make it worse if I try to put flowers and stuff, you know. Like decorate with details.
>
> Sincerely,
> Rithy

It doesn't have to be flowers, but it could be. You could have the farm land tiles beside the house, and maybe a drying rack.

@DovahTech:

> Looks pretty good. All I could say is add a bit more detail. I was wandering. Is that tileset avalible for download or is it custom. If it is could you throw the download link my way? Good work.

http://downloads.rpg-palace.com/details.php?id=102

@DovahTech:

> Looks pretty good. All I could say is add a bit more detail. I was wandering. Is that tileset avalible for download or is it custom. If it is could you throw the download link my way? Good work.

If you've read my thread, you'd know where to get all the stuff I'm using for this project.

http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,78336.0.html

Sincerely,
Rithy

Eh, it's boring but not bad. Try adding maybe a couple small stones, some more flowers and mushrooms by the house, and some more trees that aren't in a forest by the house. Your river is also kinda thin, but it works. Another thing you could add maybe is some dirt or mud.

Or just pre-render the trees on various backgrounds to keep the effect intact.

You learn much more working in a restricted environment than a limitless one. Once you've managed to get advanced graphical techniques working in a 24-bit environment going over to 32-bit is a damn dream, believe me.

The shit you learn doing things the hard way is always useful.