Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Windows 8 and Eclipse.

iSnow

Microsoft recently released the Windows 8 Consumer preview and I am running Virtualbox on my mac to test its functionality.

It seems like VB6 is working fine, just a little error about the OLE registry but I can do everything with it I would normally be able to do, EO and CS:DE Are running fine after installing the runtimes for the setup and thats it. I'd say if you have a Mac or Linux and you want the functionality of a new Windows platform but dont have a disk for Windows 7 or XP (If your still into XP) then you might want to grab while you can. The preview expires 1/15/13 so you might want to use virtualbox to keep your other OS and maybe set a fake time in BIOS if you want to make it last longer.

Some people dont have money to throw at a new OS, so you may want to look at it on the Microsoft website.

@SnowGear:

> I'd say if you **have Linux** and you **want the functionality of a new Windows platform** but dont have a disk for Windows 7 or XP (If your still into XP) then you might want to grab while you can.

I threw a desk to my face, right there.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

@S.J.R.:

> I threw a desk to my face, right there.
>
> Yours faithfully
>   Stephan.

I dont think I'm the first person to mention running EXEs on Linux around here, and Virtualbox exists for Linux Distros.

Just a suggestion if you want Windows inside Linux, even though Linux users dont opt for that stuff often.

@SnowGear:

> I dont think I'm the first person to mention running EXEs on Linux around here, and Virtualbox exists for Linux Distros.
>
> Just a suggestion if you want Windows inside Linux, even though Linux users dont opt for that stuff often.

Let me emphasise what I already put emphasis on: actual Linux users have no interest in the "new functionalities" Microsoft Windows might offer. Either it exists on Linux already, or it is completely useless and actually breaks the system (e.g. Microsoft Windows 7 offers machine checks, which are actually completely broken on some motherboards, causing numerous kernel panics to occur for no apparent reason).

Microsoft Windows 8, just like Microsoft Windows 7 and Microsoft Windows Vista barely offers new "functionalities". Unless, of course, you consider Metro UI to be useful that it actually can be considered a "functionality". In that case, I'd beg to differ.

The fact that you actually justify the usage of both WINE and VirtualBox just tells me you are still heavily dependent on Microsoft Windows applications, and haven't been capable of using actual Linux alternatives instead (unless we are talking about games, or actual application development, in which case I wonder why you just don't use Microsoft Windows instead, which is what I do for just those two cases).

It's great that Eclipse works on Microsoft Windows 8, or well, the preview edition. But don't try to convince Linux users, and perhaps Mac OS X users to actually use that operating system. There's a reason why the latter two communities have grown over the years.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

@S.J.R.:

> Let me emphasise what I already put emphasis on: actual Linux users have no interest in the "new functionalities" Microsoft Windows might offer. Either it exists on Linux already, or it is completely useless and actually breaks the system (e.g. Microsoft Windows 7 offers machine checks, which are actually completely broken on some motherboards, causing numerous kernel panics to occur for no apparent reason).
>
> Microsoft Windows 8, just like Microsoft Windows 7 and Microsoft Windows Vista barely offers new "functionalities". Unless, of course, you consider Metro UI to be useful that it actually can be considered a "functionality". In that case, I'd beg to differ.
>
> The fact that you actually justify the usage of both WINE and VirtualBox just tells me you are still heavily dependent on Microsoft Windows applications, and haven't been capable of using actual Linux alternatives instead (unless we are talking about games, or actual application development, in which case I wonder why you just don't use Microsoft Windows instead, which is what I do for just those two cases).
>
> It's great that Eclipse works on Microsoft Windows 8, or well, the preview edition. But don't try to convince Linux users, and perhaps Mac OS X users to actually use that operating system. There's a reason why the latter two communities have grown over the years.
>
> Yours faithfully
>   Stephan.

I use Windows for Games and Application Development, and I know of the alternatives Linux can offer. Trust me I do use Linux on occasion, and WINE isn't very helpful to me because I know of the alternatives and I only use Virtualbox so I can run the new OS or some other system inside the OS I was already using.

I didn't want to install a new OS alongside my OSX but just try the Windows 8 preview inside it, I didn't post about it to convince anyone, why would I persuade people to install an OS that will expire in about a year and become useless unless you throw more money at a new OS?

There are been questions about it around the web and around Programming groups about whether or not Windows 8 will support VB6\. For any of you who are asking the same question, GOOD NEWS! It will be supported!

Here is the amended statement by Microsoft in regards to VB6 compatibility:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708

@Ryoku:

> There are been questions about it around the web and around Programming groups about whether or not Windows 8 will support VB6.

Windows 8 will not _support_ VB6; however, VB6 should still be able to run on a Windows 8 system.

There sill be no support for the IDE, but there will still be support for the VB6 runtime files. =P Same as it is now. Basically there is no major changes to its support or its performance.

It doesn't really matter what I said, the statement from Microsoft is attached. Its just semantics.

@Ryoku:

> There sill be no support for the IDE, but there will still be support for the VB6 runtime files. =P Same as it is now. Basically there is no major changes to its support or its performance.
>
> It doesn't really matter what I said, the statement from Microsoft is attached. Its just semantics.

So nothing changed, pointless Microsoft Statement is pointless.

I like the new look for it but the new App store stuff should just be left on Xbox, I would enjoy a nice little app to download content from but so many people use freeware and what not it's kind of pointless.