Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Worth it to continue?

RedJacket7

I currently have an EO game in development along with a small team helping me work on it. We have people doing the following:

Implementing sprites/animations
Mapping
Music
Quest/Plot writing
and various other aspects.

We even have a community that's getting decent members/traffic. 88 registered users within the first week.

We do however have one dire problem. Recently after getting into a big argument, both our programmers bailed on us. (one of which was also hosting the server) Getting all of the other things back is no problem, we can even host the server. But, none of the remaining team know much at all about programming.

The point of this post: I planned on making a topic showing what my game is about and recruiting people who are interested in helping develop the game (not just programmers) or are interested in possibly playing this type of game. But I've browsed the forums here and I've noticed that if you don't have half the programming done already or are willing to pay someone to do the work for you that no one will even consider it.

So I'm asking in you, would it be a waste of my time to even recruit/go on?

It's not really a matter of 'they won't work with your game as a programmer if you hardly have any done' its more about what is it that YOU are doing to make the game possible. Most of the programmers here don't want to waste their time with a dead-end game that will never go anywhere, and they don't want to program for someone whom is the 'founder' fo the game who does nothing but dictate orders and set out game plans for production.

If you can prove that you're pulling your own weight and your game is on the right track (it doesn't look like a piece of turd and your visions are clear) then someone may approach you if you're recruiting. Show us your progress, post detailed story, post finished maps, pixels, websites, forums, and show that you are serious.

@Aeri:

> Pay someone to do it.

Well, I'd be looking for more of a teammate then an employee. Someone to be a member of the community rather than just a paid programmer. So paying wouldn't be an option.

@Lynxaria:

> It's not really a matter of 'they won't work with your game as a programmer if you hardly have any done' its more about what is it that YOU are doing to make the game possible. Most of the programmers here don't want to waste their time with a dead-end game that will never go anywhere, and they don't want to program for someone whom is the 'founder' fo the game who does nothing but dictate orders and set out game plans for production.
>
> If you can prove that you're pulling your own weight and your game is on the right track (it doesn't look like a piece of turd and your visions are clear) then someone may approach you if you're recruiting. Show us your progress, post detailed story, post finished maps, pixels, websites, forums, and show that you are serious.

Completely understandable. Thanks alot Lyn. I myself am the founder and actually work in pretty much all aspects to make sure work gets done efficiently. I'll have no problem posting this.

Thank you both for replying.

@RedJacket7:

> Well, I'd be looking for more of a teammate then an employee. Someone to be a member of the community rather than just a paid programmer. So paying wouldn't be an option.

Eclipse doesn't work like that. If you were to hire someone, they'd probably play the game anyway and participate in the community. These forums are nowhere near professional.

Plus you wouldn't be employing anyone. If you're paying for someone to do it on here, it's usually a one off of, say, "£X to add this tutorial and £Y to make this feature". You're not going to be continually hiring someone and paying them a monthly fee to cater to your programming whims. There was a guide running topless around this place a while ago called 'Tips on hiring a programmer'. Seemed pretty helpful and would get the job done faster than a tumble-weed post in the Talent Centre.

Don't get other people to do something if you can learn it yourself.

Origins is an entry point in to the industry. Learn everything you can about it, including programming.

If you go around asking people to join your team when they know more than you do then you'll be sorely disappointed.

Would you join the team of someone who has considerably less experience than you? Didn't think so.

Just because this is the internet doesn't mean general life rules don't apply.

Good programmers are one of the most sought after commodity on this forum. If you learn how to do advanced systems then you're going to have _everyone_ trying to get you to join their projects and plenty of people throwing money at you.

Why would they join your team when they can work for someone else with considerable financial backing?

Well, my game only incorporates some of the code from Eclipse 2.0 but it has been a good experience in some very cool VB6 programming. Worth it to continue? that would be totally up to the developers, if they believe they are being appreciated for their efforts. Although my game is quite different than your run-of-the-mill Eclipse MMO. The community here will be credited predominately in the game credits for all the knowledge and information.

Thanks for the great code and techniques.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
@RedJacket7:

> The point of this post: I planned on making a topic showing what my game is about and recruiting people who are interested in helping develop the game (not just programmers) or are interested in possibly playing this type of game. But I've browsed the forums here and I've noticed that if you don't have half the programming done already or are willing to pay someone to do the work for you that no one will even consider it.
>
> So I'm asking in you, would it be a waste of my time to even recruit/go on?

If you're even *considering* dropping the project over a single lost member, you've got bigger issues at play here. No programmer is going to sink hundreds of hours into making your game wickedsick when this thread is bouncing around showing you not even being sure if you want to continue :S

I think you should keep going with the game even without programmers.

I don't even think you need a programmer at this point, you had programmers do some of the important stuff already.
```
If you need to add more script you could ask on the forums: What's the code to make a tile do this? and usually some one would give you the code then you just copy/paste it into your game.
```
And with the descent amount of players your game has got eventually some one would come along who's willing to do it.

Your game has gotten farther than some other attempts, so I think you should at least keep it up.