Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Quick Update

Link

Hey everyone, I know I haven't been very consistent with updates and you haven't heard much on the Java engine. I've taken some advice from a few members in a recent skype chat, we've made some new plans and hopefully I can bring better news to you later. Just wanted to share this with y'all!

We've placed Jaxx on the development team as his engine will head to the front as the official supported engine, more about this will be explained in another topic. This will help us by giving us time to work on the Java engine while Jaxx pushes out consistent updates with his engine. Thank you all.

Regards,
        Link

It's a main engine change because Eclipse Worlds isn't being supported by its developer. Jaxx is consistent with updates and people like his engine so it will serve as a placeholder as we begin to shift to the Java engine. I'll see about the Github repository, may be very helpful, but atm it's not even bare bones so there's little to nothing to work off of.

Currently it's going to be from scratch without the use of libraries due to limitations with the libraries, this is the decision of the deveoper(s) atm. As far as features we'll focus more on getting a solid foundation, optimization vs stuffed with cool features in the beginning. Hopefully get a prototype out of some sort, but you shouldn't expect to see a fully featured engine for about a year.

@'Link':

> It's a main engine change because Eclipse Worlds isn't being supported by its developer. Jaxx is consistent with updates and people like his engine so it will serve as a placeholder as we begin to shift to the Java engine. I'll see about the Github repository, may be very helpful, but atm it's not even bare bones so there's little to nothing to work off of.

Not surprised tbh with eclipse worlds being dropped predicted this all along. But ik jaxx will be good to step up and take over. Hopefully the java engine will come soon.

Yeah, it's the integrated graphics library of java which utilizes opengl on most modern machines in order to perform better. You could just go with lwjgl, since performance is just better and I think it has no real limitations. Anyhow, java2d should be enough for a tile-based 2d game for now. As for a solid base though, I'd personally prefer lwjgl.

-Seal