Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Some old sprites & tiles

Dark Crusade

@Likestodraw:

> That would explain it. They still are nice, though! Are you still working on them?

Picked it back up. Going to continue to design the entire game world. Currently writing up over one hundred monster designs. Already have huge portions of the music and graphics done, so realistically I want all the designs done before I turn it into a game or such.

If you're looking to improve your color picking, here's some rules that I always go by.

1\. Define the environment. Is this a place with full on natural lighting? Is the sun the source of light?
2\. If the sun is the source of light, try to balance the palette by using all of the colors in the spectrum. This may mean that you have to create more tiles with a large variety of extra plants. Which is certainly not a problem!
3\. If the sun isn't a source, maybe it's best to think about what the source is. Most likely it'll be a colored light, so when hue shifting you should consider drastic changes in the highlight colors to match the color of the light source.
4\. Do my characters read well with the tiles? Personally this one is the hardest. The answer is almost always no. The way to fix this isn't by just applying some dark outline around the character. Instead, take off the outline (as horrific as that sounds). After it's been taken off, you'll likely have to tone down the tiles saturation, contrast, or maybe even remove colors. One trick I use is to give my characters colors that I couldn't use in the tile set. This usually means reds, pinks, light blue (or dark blue depending on your water), etc. Using these colors will force it to pop out. Once you feel that the character is visible you can go ahead and reapply the outline. Unless you think it looks better without one… usually the case if your sprites are larger.

Anyway I hope that helps. One thing I noticed is that you have almost no hue-shifting going on in your tile set. I'd recommend looking at the [Syosa's interview on pixel joint](http://www.pixeljoint.com/2009/10/03/2938/Pixel_Artist_-_Syosa.htm). He brushes up on colors a bit. Or [Cure's tutorial on the forums](http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299&PID=139392#139392).

Good luck with this, if it's still active.

@slym:

> If you're looking to improve your color picking, here's some rules that I always go by.

Some good tips and tutorials, thanks.

@Likestodraw:

> It's cool you're picking this up again! Are these graphics going to be used in a special project, or are you releasing these as a resource?

Personal project