Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Reputation/Rating System.

JohnPony

Well, as marshy dearest has just explained. We all need to be a bit nicer to each other. (Myself Included). I figured a good way to portray a users 'Reputation' would be through none else then a Reputation system. I am sure most of you have seen this on some other forum before, the overall concept is simple. When a user provides good feedback, a decent tutorial, or just a helpful post in general. People can bump up the said users reputation. And if the user is being, well rather nasty. Others can - the users reputation.

Of course i have thought this through, and i do realize the benefit from having a system such as this is minimal. But it is a way to award members who follow Marshy Dearest's guidelines and are overall helpful to the community, and also a way to punish users who aren't the best guys to be around.

Just think it over, of course i do know its down to Marshy Dearest's decision in the end, but i will leave a poll above as a way to display your feelings on the subject. And of course you can post your feedback on this idea below.

Have A Great Summer (Or What Ever You Call A Summer In Your Location),
General Pony

Reputation systems make everything worse in my opinion. Everyone just gets big egos and does stupid things to get there reputation higher. Some people will create tutorials to actually help out to get it higher but it does just come down to a popularity contest.

Of course, and i considered that myself. But it would be possible to have a overall vote for the person in the said topic. Such as yahoo's best answer system. And it would be a bit more of a job, but one could keep track of the reputation bumping, to make sure all is fair.

@General:

> Of course, and i considered that myself. But it would be possible to have a overall vote for the person in the said topic. Such as yahoo's best answer system. And it would be a bit more of a job, but one could keep track of the reputation bumping, to make sure all is fair.

Yea but that wouldn't stop people from posting 100s of useless tutorials with the words on the bottom saying things like Please Repp me or ++ 

People shouldn't be awarded if they are making a tutorial or helping someone just to get a popularity boost. Good deeds are done without expecting something in return just a good feeling that you helped someone out is enough.

I doubt a rep system will really solve the issue at hand though, whether a high or low rep, people are still going to be who they are towards others; A nicer eclipse doesn't mean everyone has to support Q/A or tutorials. It just means be nicer to the new members, as Marsh would like to have the new members stay around just as much as the older members, it makes for a better Eclipse experience.

(Maybe some more females will come around if you guys chill out.) LOL :P

• 5 weeks later...
I know this is a closed poll but I would just like to reiterative the common consensus here, I think on the whole it would be a bad idea. In my opinion displaying the post count is bad enough, people instantly judge or trust specific opinions based on the post count of a specific user so to further this instant bias with a reputation count which could potentially be unfairly gained seems pointless.