Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can I legally sell a game made with Eclipse Engine?

YaelDD

I'm wondering if I can legally sell a game made with Eclipse Engine or any of it's successors?

As I understand, Eclipse Engins is open source and normally open source comes with a copy of a "agreement" about what you can or can't do with that code, in case you modify or change stuff in the code or content, you are able to modify the credits to add your own but you are too obigated to keep the original credits.

In the case I start selling a game, or even if it is F2P but I want to sell content on it, like objects for appearance, or even if I dont think on selling but I think on receiving donations to help me to develop the game, is this legally allowed?
In case that no, the answer is obvious but in case of yes, which would be the requirements (other than keeping original credits)?

No you cant because it is impossible

**im·pos·si·ble**
**im'päs?b(?)l/**

adjective
not able to occur, exist, or be done.

This means that no one that actually works for there money would pay a dime to play a vb6, (eclipse based game).

Legally….......yes you can...I don't mean to sound harsh but its the truth....

Its true. I've seen a few be able to make something here and there and if your PokeCyrus you make tons through donations, however it is legal, but you CANNOT use RMXP graphics , I believe you must use your own or free to use graphics to be able to legally make money off it .

As far as I'm aware, the Engine itself allows you to make money with it.

However, depending on which engine you use, you must give them credits afaik. And you have to make sure that everything (music, graphics etc.) is free to use for you commercially.

I'd also suggest you to stick with the base or renown custom version of the Engine, since I've seen plenty of Eclipse-Based Versions, which came with plenty of ripped stuff.

Personally, I'm having a look at Unity… since it has a 2D Mode and MMO-Support (unlike Unreal for no additional fee), I figured I should at least consider it, even tough it's gonna add at least 1 year on top of the time I'll need to make my Game.

Yes you can make money off your game if you use custom content for it, sound files, music, graphics ect all must be custom made by you or someone you know who gave you permission to use their work.

However I would not expect to make anything off it. Not saying your game isnt going to be fun or anything it's just really hard to get a decent population playing your game and even harder to get players who will be willing to pay for stuff in the game.

I personally found eclipse as a good learning engine to start off in game development.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, yes you can. Guess every other owner beat me to the punch. There's nothing in the current license you can violate that includes selling a game made with the engine, in fact I encourage it, sucks that's it's vb6 right now. Now if you tried to re-sell the engine as your own, that might violate some things within the license for obvious reasons and it would disrespect the developers who put their hard work into it. Goodluck! ^_^

- Link

@'Link':

> Now if you tried to re-sell the engine as your own, that might violate some things within the license for obvious reasons and it would disrespect the developers who put their hard work into it. Goodluck! ^_^
>
> - Link

Wait.. Isn't that exactly what you did?

I never tried selling the engine, even if I had, the license was signed over to me. I think you're confusing me with Amish in which case he still had the right to sell the engine as the license was signed over to him. Personal opinions don't really matter or what people think they may know, only the people in which have had the site transferred to them or have tranferred the site know it. The rest is just member drawn conclusions. This would be a different case if just the site had been handed down and Amish had not gotten the license agreement from Robin. But I don't really know much about legal stuff and it doesn't matter because it's vb6 and personally no one gives a shit.

Sincerely,
          DTK

• 2 weeks later...
@'Link':

> No one gives a shit.
>
> Sincerely,
>           DTK

Obviously.  :rolleyes:  The funny thing about open source projects (Eclipse being a derivative work of Mirage) is that to sell it you must have explicit permission from ALL of it's contributors.  There's only been one legitimate sale of Mirage since it's inception over a decade and a half ago.  But no one gives a shit, as you said. Buy, sell, trade, and do it openly.  :P

@'Mal':

> The funny thing about open source projects (Eclipse being a derivative work of Mirage) is that to sell it you must have explicit permission from ALL of it's contributors.

Mirage Source is public domain, though.

EDIT: Not to say anything about the state of EO's licensing.