Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shady phonecall

Anna Comnena

So anyway I got this wierd phone call a few days ago, some guy with a heavy Indian accent whom assured me he was a Microsoft Certified Engineer (big whoop), was informing me that a "genuine microsoft product" was sending error codes which were vital and that I had to resolve the problem.

Anyway he went on for a good three straight minutes assuring me he was an MCE and so what he said was legit (which was a red flag for me). I kept trying to ask which product in particular (without giving away any details or what products and OS we had or use) for him to specify; he would say "any genuine microsoft device". He was asking me to go to a computer and follow instructions (which he wouldn't specify as yet).

I had the feeling it was a scam to get me to enable some vulnurability inherent in winblows. I understand there is a limitation on what information legitimate diagnostic messages send, but the fact he couldn't even specify a product annoyed me. I hung up when he insisted I go to a computer without him specifying a product, and then he called back right after asking why I hung up and I told him he was a scam and to not call here again (I report u huehuehue)

But yeah anyone else have heard of any scams or stuff like this?

I had a woman with an indian accent call me before about a year ago asking me to do the same thing. She hung up after I told her I didn't have internet and it would be impossible for my computer to send such reports. ![^_^](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/happy.png)

This is why you don't list your number, input your number into random websites that require SMS to "register" or to "continue", and why you never reply to unsolicited e-mails that request your name, address, and other contact information.

Oh, and beware your local Indian tobacco shop and chinese gold farmers. They'll sale your CC to shady individuals.

Yeah I was thinking about going along with it but after 4 minutes on the phone listening to the exact same thing ("I am a engineer trust me" in a thick Indian accent) I was getting poonbox whipped of it.

@Budweiser: hur dur it was my parent's ancient landline. We don't even have caller ID on it. Not that it matters because we maybe get 1 or 2 calls an entire day; and the majority of the calls are to confirm appointments or prescriptions (given that my parents are both retirement age).

> you should have said your Lieing because "I am a engineer that works for microsoft".
>
> Bet he would not know what to do then lol

If i ever get one of these calls i am so doing that ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png)