Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Amazing FREE Photoshop Alternative

JeffSventora

Not a big fan of pirating software AND it just so happens that you can't afford Photoshop? Well, here is an answer that may be right for you, Artweaver! Honestly, the UI is almost exactly like Photoshop. It's free version is amazing for game development and GUI creation. I hope you guys enjoy this as much as I have been. [http://www.artweaver.de/index.php?en_version](http://www.artweaver.de/index.php?en_version)

No Linux version, which completely destroys the purpose, for me. If this ran on linux, I would completely ditch photoshop, and move completely over to Ubuntu. But, since I already have photoshop, I don't need to make any sort of move.

As a heavy Photoshop advocate, I found this topic highly fascinating. However, I was greatly disappointed when it came to the actual program. Amazing? Sadly, I think not. While it's a nice program in it's own right, everyone would be better off learning GIMP instead of this one here, eh? Still a nice find, irregardless of my feelings towards it.

While we're on the topic of free, Paint.NET is 100% free, comes fully loaded with a good number of options, and is capable of multiple layers and blending. Only down-side to it concerns Linux users; Paint.NET is strictly windows platform only.

> It also does not have layer options like photoshop has. Paint.NET is pretty bad, in my humble opinion. I'd suggest GIMP over it any day.

Well, I'm not one to shake my fist at "free" regardless of how good or bad it is. It suites my needs (transparency and height map generation via "clouds") so I'm happy. Not like I'm trying to model 3D objects or anything. ;p

> I used GIMP a lot, but I absolutely hated the UI. Using this reminds me of Photoshop 7.0, I instantly knew my way around this program when I opened it which was huge for me.

I completely agree with you there. The UI never made sense to me, and I was always aggravated by it. Nothing in the program was logical or properly placed; it just seems like a hash of nonsense.

• 3 weeks later...
I prefer GIMP for any HD graphics or editing photos, but for pixelling I'm using ASEPRITE (a.k.a. Allegro Sprite Editor) which is free and after you get used to the interface (which isn't near as long as getting used to GIMP), you'll find it's awesome for pixelart and busts all competition like GraphicsGale. And its free!

Paint.NET is a really good program for doing more basic graphical work (even though it can also do very complex work), it lacks things like being able to edit text once it's placed and so forth.

GIMP is probably the best Ps alternative, but as has been said before, the UI is quite bad.. I also find the windows to be odd in how they behave. GIMP is much less refined.

Also, Inkscape is a good free vector program is anyone is interested. ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

• 3 months later...