Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Seamless maps*

MadalinV

It's called seamless maps.

In summary, you effectively handle it by having the client grab the map your players' on, and the surrounding 9 maps. You can then render the edges of the maps as you get near the edges, and when you transition over, you shift the cache of the adjacent maps to the new map, to represent their position (Or don't, but I feel that makes it more organised.), grab the three new surrounding maps, and repeat.

There are several optimisation issues surrounding the way I've described it, so, I'll allow you to research and apply your knowledge to make it work. :]

> It's called seamless maps.
>
> In summary, you effectively handle it by having the client grab the map your players' on, and the surrounding 9 maps. You can then render the edges of the maps as you get near the edges, and when you transition over, you shift the cache of the adjacent maps to the new map, to represent their position (Or don't, but I feel that makes it more organised.), grab the three new surrounding maps, and repeat.
>
> There are several optimisation issues surrounding the way I've described it, so, I'll allow you to research and apply your knowledge to make it work. :]

and can it be implemented in ER?

> and can it be implemented in ER?

If you're asking, it's likely to be out of your current scope. Put it out of your mind for now, and focus on developing your coding skills with simpler things. :]

Also, given that it took you one minute to read that, did you actually think on it, or give it a quick glance, and decided to completely ignore my advice? :}

> If you're asking, it's likely to be out of your current scope. Put it out of your mind for now, and focus on developing your coding skills with simpler things. :]

i'm making the ideea, Lavos does the coding thing :]

EDIT: i would need it for developing the game too, because i'm making resources, sprites and GUI changes, so i would need it from now.

A good mapper can make maps seamless anyway, and you should try to do that even when you have noticeable map edges and map switches. Aesthetically and design your maps should flow together seamlessly anyway, even if the technical side (tile/entity rendering and positioning) isn't or can't be in place.

ya but not al engines can handle ur way XD… and + resources as trees... ur map explodes forever XD.

but as exception said its catching the next map.

how i look at it. and not 9 maps.

a new map property.__: nothing its just to keep the posstion of the XX for the example. XX: the map in dat direction. CM: current map. then this be coded to catch map as you in geting close to the edge not on the edge.. and you have to enter this for all maps u would make. no idk how to code it. but i understand how it can work.

____XX

XX CM XX

____XX

> My solution is making the max X and Y of a map not set to a limit so make a map like 500 by 500 there ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png)

That's clever, let's fling 500x500 maps as one massive packet repeatedly! ![^_^](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/happy.png)

> …ya but not al engines can handle ur way XD... and + resources as trees... ur map explodes forever XD...

Hm, well, fundamentally speaking, the method is more or less exactly the same in terms of Mirage-derivatives.

> …catching...

Dearie me.

> …and not 9 maps.

Well, let's compare using the 4 adjacent maps and the current map, to the surrounding 8, and the current map. I'm standing near the corner of my current map. Ew, how fugly, there's a great black space in the corner!

gwt wat ur saying but lets say u go toward a corner so it will catch all 3 in dats side? currently i think chances of seamless maps being actualy explained instead of guessed at or talks. ppl should try showing ppl how .