Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse and linux vps

bintin

Hello world, i'd like to know if this is okay to run a eclipse server on a linux vps

Disk Space **10** GB

Total: **4**CPU

**512** MB RAM

1 IP address

**Unlimited** Traffic

Based on OpenVZ

Remote Management

ubuntu 12

and if so, could i possibly have help setting it up? i have never ever ran a vps before. ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

512MB ram is a bit short to run a desktop environment on. It's recommended to get atleast 1GB of ram.

Please understand that linux is not directly supported but the server has to run through Wine and a 3rd party library called Winetricks. If you are new to the linux system this may be tricky to get running.

> You won't be able to run the server on a linux vps.

Are you kidding? Never heard of wine?

Why you installed ubuntu with gnome and alot shit, when you can just install some clean distro and then install xfce4, what will consume alot less computer resources.

> Why you installed ubuntu with gnome and alot shit, when you can just install some clean distro and then install xfce4, what will consume alot less computer resources.

Since when is GNOME, and more importantly X11 being shipped with Ubuntu's **server** edition, and why do you want him to install X11, or even worse XFCE 4 on a server, where a graphical environment isn't required, and mostly discouraged? Besides, GNOME (not GNOME 3) itself isn't really that bad for desktop environments, actually. Exactly because of the amount of programmes, and the user experience it has to offer, and in the case you don't want some of its applications, you can always get rid of them, or simply not install them (depending on whether they are actually being shipped with your distribution or not). On top of that, XFCE 4 and LXDE are mostly interesting desktop environments for low-end desktop computers, that will still heavily depend on several applications that are part of GNOME. Otherwise, it's likely you just want GNOME (or something similar) instead, simply because of the experience it has to offer. As for a different kind of experience, you are usually going to be looking to replace some of the default applications, such as the window manager, rather than the entire desktop environment.

Yours faithfully,

S.J.R. van Schaik.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If it's just a development box (and not a serious game server) and you just need something to run your game for a while, feel free to just install a desktop window manager and a copy of WINE. I can atest it runs fine under WINE. Some people will flame me out for this, but there's no reason that if the Linux VPS is what's in your budget that you can't do that.