Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What would you like in the FAQ?

I'm working on a FAQ for EclipseVB. What else would you like to see it besides the stuff below?

>! **EclipseVB - Frequently Asked Questions.**
>! **Q: I receive [insert runtime/automation error here] when I try and run the engine.**
>! A: If it mentions a .dll or a .ocx file or anything about 'ActiveX' then you've installed the library files wrong. If mentions an automation error then you either have dodgy drivers or, if you get it running the client, your might not have a working sound card at all. If it mentions a file path then you haven't extracted EclipseVB properly.
>! In both cases you need to go read the installation instructions on the download page. If it's an actual RTE in the source code then go post a question thread and take a screenshot of the error and post the line it errors on. That's the line which is highlighted yellow.
>! **Q: All the images aren't lined up and some things are really big. Everything is positioned differently from in the screenshots.**
>! A: Set your DPI to 100%.
>! **Q: I get 'Address already in use' as an error.**
>! A: Close the server you already have running. If you're not running a server (please check your processes first) then simply change the port on the game.
>! **Q: What are the controls?**
>! A: WASD to move. Enter to chat. Space to pick up items. Ctrl to attack/interact.
>! **Q: How do I open the admin panel?**
>! A: Either type '/admin' in the chat or press 'Insert'.
>! **Q: How can I bring up a list of commands?**
>! A: Type '/help' in the chat window.
>! **Q: How do I make myself an admin?**
>! A: Go to the server, right click your name in the player list and choose 'Make admin'.
>! **Q: Why don't you support [insert Eclipse version here] any more?**
>! A: We only support engines that are supported by their developers. Currently EclipseVB is the only supported engines that we are pushing out updates for.
>! **Q: How do I change map sizes?**
>! A: EclipseVB allows you to have each map a different size. Change it through 'MapEditor -> Properties -> MapX and MapY'.
>! **Q: What is difference between Eclipse Origins and EclipseVB?**
>! A: Barely any. EclipseVB is a continuation of Eclipse Origins with feature additions, bug fixes and optimisations. The reason behind the name change is to centralise all the Eclipse engines under the title "Eclipse" with the language in the name.
>! **Q: When will the next version be released?**
>! (CurrentYear) + (Number of times people ask)
>! **Q: How do I add more graphics?**
>! A: EclipseVB reads all graphics located in the directories on load. If you want to use a tileset simply copy & paste it in to the /tilesets/ folder and name it to match the rest of them in ascending order. The extension must be .bmp.
>! **Q: How do I place shops or banks?**
>! A: In the map editor, click the "Attributes" radio button.
>! **Q: Where can I add NPCs to my map?**
>! A: 'Map Editor -> Map Properties -> Npcs'.
>! **Q: What does each stat do?**
>! A: Strength:
>! Adds to your max melee hit at [STR / 2]
>! Adds to your base melee damage reduction from a successful block at [STR / 2]
>! Adds to your base parry rate at [STR * 0.25]
>! Endurance:
>! Adds to your max health at [END * 5]
>! Intelligence:
>! Adds to your max mana at [INT * 10]
>! Agility:
>! Adds to your base armour rating at [AGI * 2]
>! Adds to your base dodge rate at [AGI / 83.3]
>! Adds to your base crit rate at [AGI / 52.08]
>! Willpower:
>! Adds to your health regen rate at [(WILL * 0.8) + 6]
>! Adds to your mana regen rate at [(WILL / 4) + 12.5]
>! **Q: My friend says he can't connect to the server? What do I do?**
>! A: Refer to this: [http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/topic/132729-how-to-port-forward/](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/topic/132729-how-to-port-forward/)

> ![:Cici:](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ciciissexy.png)
>
> The truth, the full truth, and nothing but the truth.

Thank you for this wonderfully relevant post. I really feel like you've contributed something useful and constructive here.

In other news, something about how the conversation system works? Not sure if that needs to be released as a separate tutorial or not.

Also, maybe some credit to Robin for some of the FAQ answers at some point… ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)

> Thank you for this wonderfully relevant post. I really feel like you've contributed something useful and constructive here.
>
> In other news, something about how the conversation system works? Not sure if that needs to be released as a separate tutorial or not.

We'll be doing documentation for the editors so that doesn't need to be in the FAQ.

> Hope you also plan on having someone proofread this before setting it out into the world on its own officially.

Yeah, me, when I'm not tired.