Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rayo's First Map

Rayo

This is the first map that I've ever made for quite some time. Feel free to criticize. I'd like some suggestions on how I could map better. Thanks.
![](http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/JDDaniel22/firstmap.jpg)

This is map is great! 10/10
The only Problem with this map is in the bottom right by the water, The lamppost is on the grass and sand, This isn't a bad thing but, most likely a city/town wont put an electric device near water.
Great Job!

@Alex:

> It's a great map and i have no bad comments about it but i think that dogs gonna suicide of that cliff in a minute.. I give it 8/10\. If your whole game had all maps like these then it's going to get many players!

give the dog a break :P

I like this map 9/10 :D

Hah. Alex has a point. The dog belongs to the child at the bottom of the cliff. I was going to make the first quest be finding his dog for him, so I figured I'd make it pretty straight forward.

Last time I checked, the sea doesn't have lily pads growing in it. They grow in still water. And before you all say 'It could be a lake', lakes don't have beaches. Sand is created by the tide, lily pads wont grow in water which has a tide. Contradiction much? :D

I like the paths, and the map in general. Only things that are off are the lily pads in the water, basically what Robin said - also they look like they are there to camoflage an incomplete corner water tile. Also, the tree near the top is messed up. The trunk shows the tree is placed farther back than the wall of the building, yet the foliage of the tree shows it in front.

Oh, and about the lamp post, there were lamps like that before electrification, so I don't see any problem with its location (even if it was electrical, big whoop its still alright).

@Robin:

> Last time I checked, the sea doesn't have lily pads growing in it. They grow in still water. And before you all say 'It could be a lake', lakes don't have beaches. Sand is created by the tide, lily pads wont grow in water which has a tide. Contradiction much? :D

It could be a lake. Your a dumbass if you think lakes don't have tides. A tide is caused by movement, a lake is effected by wind as well as earth. Wind isn't in constant motion, so the force on the surface of the lake becomes 0, >0, 0, >0, 0, etc. Which causes a tide.

But enough about that, I give the map an 8/10.

Basically the same aspects as Anna pointed out, the tree/building bit, the few errors and what not. But nice map for a 'first'.

@Soljah:

> It could be a lake. Your a dumbass if you think lakes don't have tides. A tide is caused by movement, a lake is effected by wind as well as earth. Wind isn't in constant motion, so the force on the surface of the lake becomes 0, >0, 0, >0, 0, etc. Which causes a tide.

xD

If you're going to tell me what a tide is caused by, at least get it right.

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tide](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tide)

@Anna:

> Stating they are gas is the same as saying they are electric. You can't really tell.

No, but you can have a very educated guess. Look at the context. Swords, bows + arrows, magic…

Hey, they could be magic powered!

@Hairo:

> No offence but Soljah,
> http://soljah.justgotowned.com
>
> I still think it's a good map though :P

No I wasn't. Robin, you are talking about Tide on a global scale, If you read up on that, its caused by the earth's/moons movement, gravitational pull and everything. I used to think like you do before I met my physics professor. He taught me all about the worlds Tides, and I asked the exact question "Do lakes have tides?". He replied yes, although they aren't as noticeable.

@Robin:

> No, but you can have a very educated guess. Look at the context. Swords, bows + arrows, magic…
>
> Hey, they could be magic powered!

Or maybe an oil lamp? Remember gas powered is relatively recent, a precursor to electrification. To have gas powered lamps require an infrastructure to pipe the gas, whereas you can have a peasant light/restock an oil lamp anywhere.

And you know what, lakes DO have beaches. They aren't as extensive as sea coasts but the banks of lakes can have beaches because although tidal forces aren't as powerful, they are still in effect. And as Soljah pointed out wind and other movement causes waves on lakes as well.