Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I need help with operating system windows 98 SE (not eclipse related)

codemeister1990

Unfortunately, I've downloaded a lot of crap and my computer just can't take it much more, I need to re-format soon, and I have a…"legal" copy of windows 98.
basically what I'm asking for is someone out there with some time to spare and a good anti-virus to check and see if the disc works. I'll upload the files and you can burn them onto a disc

Also, if it does work, you have a copy of windows 98 :P
-This is of course 98 SE, first edition blew

But yeah, I really need this BAD, someone please reply quickly, I don't like restarting my computer twice (or more) a day from the blue screen

-edit ...I was checking how much ram my pc is using...it's not pretty...I uploaded the screenshot
![](http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q265/codemeister1990/RAMWTF.png)

Also, there is indeed a reason I can't just partition my hard drive and install windows 98, because…98 has to be installed BEFORE XP, but XP came with my computer, and I don't nor have I ever had the disc. So I'm in a really tight spot here.

On the one hand...I can not format my hard drive, and wait until it blows itself up, on the other hand, I can format it, and cross my fingers hoping the disc works.
I'd just like assurance as to whether the disc I have works or not, as I've never tested it before

agreed, I have gone from windows 98se to windows 2000 and back many of times, if xp will run then so should 98, the only downside is hardware, it could take days to find drivers for all of your hardware 98 will not come with.
Also you will be dissapointed how little software 98 can run, you don't notice until after you install it.
I say buy more ram and keep XP if it is just a bad virus I say format and re-install xp not 98.

If you really wish to install 98 go for it, it is faster with a computer like yours… heck, I got it to run on my psp without a problem (other than 10min loading time at first)

hope this helps ;)

Are you serious that you are running XP and will be SWITCHING to 98? You're going to hate yourself when you have no drivers for anything in your computer. For XP's faults, one thing it is awesome about is almost any component it has drivers for. It's also less stable (remember Blue Screen of Death? I've never had that in XP, it was commonplace in 98), and may not be compatible with many programs you are used to using.

Seriously, you need to acquire an XP disc if you want to reformat. Even if it means you won't have a computer for a little bit, I think you'd be in better shape than going from an XP machine reverting to a 98 machine.

Also, I know about OS compatibility
I accept that some programs won't
run or run properly with 98.
and like inception implied, xp requires
a lot more RAM than 98, so it'd
definitely help with that

-@ adrian, yeah I read the rules after
I won't bring it up again, I'm using a
laptop that supports up to 256 RAM
sticks at most, so 1GB is not an option

oh, you're on a laptop…

98 is better with that setup I guess, but you should consider upgrading.

My new comp is awesome, not talking about that. I still use my old comp. 1.2 ghz single core, 1.3 GB Ram (bought it a couple of months ago)

I'm thinking of buying a new motherboard + CPU. My powersurce, monitor, keyboard, mouse, case, video card, etc  are still at acceptable, so I don't see the point in buying another comp.

Oh yeah, I didn't think about your RAM. Get Windows 2000 then. But seriously, Windows98 is not good. 95/98/ME are all based on the old buggy BSOD windows systems…. where all the bad Windows stereotypes come from! 2000 is a good OS, I had that on my older computer for quite a long time before having to do a routine reformat and it was easier to just use XP at that time.

@Anna:

> Get Windows 2000 then. But seriously, Windows98 is not good. 95/98/ME are all based on the old buggy BSOD windows systems…. where all the bad Windows stereotypes come from!

I don't have 2000, I have xp and 98 SE
BSOD?

@AdrianC:

> lol, get a job

You don't think I'm trying to get one?
It's not as easy as I first thought

@codemeister1990:

> I don't have 2000, I have xp and 98 SE
> BSOD?
> You don't think I'm trying to get one?
> It's not as easy as I first thought

Blue Screen of Death.

The 9x/ME operating systems are like a program running on MS-DOS, they're pretty worthless to use. For instance: Windows 95 and 98 (not sure about ME) use interrupt 13 in VM86 task in order to access the floppy, that's a big no no in the world of operating development, it works, but it's a bad thing to do.

Regards,
  Goddianicus.

Oh wow, are you serious?

In my opinion, stick with XP. I assume your HDD is spammed with hundreds of processes you've installed but no longer used, as well as probably trojans, spyware, malware… etc.

If you can, burn your important data to a few discs, format your HDD, and reinstall XP. If you don't have XP anymore, then I'd best recommend buying it. If you have the money, get a new computer lol.