Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Seeking Opportunity To Gain Experience As Forum/In-Game Moderator

Finalroge

Hey there everyone, what I'm looking for is the chance to show that I can manage/moderate an online gaming community.

I am looking to spend all my free time learning about whichever community wishes to invite me to fill this role.

As far as my qualifications go, the only experience I have moderating would be on my guild forums underdogs.enjin.com.

It may sound silly, but online gaming community participation is really a big part of my life, and I would like to make it my profession.

The sort of projects I'd like to join in on need to be something that plans on going for at least a solid year, that is how long I would like to offer myself for, but will stick with a successful project as long as I am needed. 

This is my first time making a post like this, if you need more information about me please feel free to send me a message or post in this thread.

Thanks.

Edit: For clarification

> Ur trying to get Moderator status from Newbie, even if you dont know Eclipse admins in real life or you'r not even friend with em?
>
> You should show yourself, learn vb6, help out community users so admin can see that your doing something for community… But, im not admin, maybe they will accept u xD

I'm not looking to moderate for Eclipse. I'm looking to join a game development team and assist with their project.  

> But, what would you do in this team? Could you answer on questions how to avoid issues? Do you have any useful PHP knowages to improve community site?
>
> You have to inform about what you can do and show some of your work to get in team, and what do you expect if they will take you in team? They wont pay u.  :D

The idea is to manage their forums, keep the player base happy, police the game to make sure exploits aren't cropping up. I see a few projects trying to appeal to an english audience and making a few mistakes with how they put things. The community manager role is what I'm talking about, and I always thought online games needed someone to be in that role to excite the players, keep them active, and keep that connection between the player and the development team there. 

I'm not looking to help make a game, I'm looking to help maintain an already released/about to release game COMMUNITY. So the players is who I will be giving support to, to help them play the game and promote positive interactions between players.

**Here is a link to one of the communities I dabbled in:**

[http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?351501-Feedback-Recent-Changes-and-Upcoming-Changes-to-Neverwinter](http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?351501-Feedback-Recent-Changes-and-Upcoming-Changes-to-Neverwinter)

I'm known as Osadamask in the Neverwinter community. This post was basically me running around the forums collecting player feedback and putting it all in one place.

**Here are some links to a wiki I used to edit:**

[http://wizardryonline.wikia.com/wiki/Grandfathering](http://wizardryonline.wikia.com/wiki/Grandfathering)

[http://wizardryonline.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:The_Horn/Thief:_The_Class_You_Should_Be_Playing](http://wizardryonline.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:The_Horn/Thief:_The_Class_You_Should_Be_Playing)

[http://wizardryonline.wikia.com/wiki/Environment_Traps](http://wizardryonline.wikia.com/wiki/Environment_Traps)

I'm known as "The Horn" in the Wizardy Online community. My wiki edits were mostly from when the game first released. New content is coming out on the 3rd of next month though :P

**Here is a link to a guide I threw together for a dungeon in a horrible game:**

[http://forums.warpportal.com/index.php?/topic/114505-guide-wolfs-cave-dungeon-lvl-17/page__p__1311926#entry1311926](http://forums.warpportal.com/index.php?/topic/114505-guide-wolfs-cave-dungeon-lvl-17/page__p__1311926#entry1311926)

Known as Theoretical in this WarpPortal community.

Ur trying to get Moderator status from Newbie, even if you dont know Eclipse admins in real life or you'r not even friend with em?

You should show yourself, learn vb6, help out community users so admin can see that your doing something for community… But, im not admin, maybe they will accept u xD

> Ur trying to get Moderator status from Newbie, even if you dont know Eclipse admins in real life or you'r not even friend with em?
>
> You should show yourself, learn vb6, help out community users so admin can see that your doing something for community… But, im not admin, maybe they will accept u xD

I'm not looking to moderate for Eclipse. I'm looking to join a game development team and assist with their project.

> I'm not looking to moderate for Eclipse. I'm looking to join a game development team and assist with their project.

There comes a question, how are you going to help them?

If they are not searching for coder or something else, then they dont need it.

If they would have some problems they would ask it in forum and lots of great programmers would help them out. :)

> There comes a question, how are you going to help them?
>
> If they are not searching for coder or something else, then they dont need it.
>
> If they would have some problems they would ask it in forum and lots of great programmers would help them out. :)

I'm looking to join an established game, that is moving along with regular updates, or a game just on the verge of a beta release. I would imagine they would want a website/forum for their game and would need a moderation team of sorts.

> I'm looking to join an established game, that is moving along with regular updates, or a game just on the verge of a beta release. I would imagine they would want a website/forum for their game and would need a moderation team of sorts.

But, what would you do in this team? Could you answer on questions how to avoid issues? Do you have any useful PHP knowages to improve community site?

You have to inform about what you can do and show some of your work to get in team, and what do you expect if they will take you in team? They wont pay u. :D

> But, what would you do in this team? Could you answer on questions how to avoid issues? Do you have any useful PHP knowages to improve community site?
>
> You have to inform about what you can do and show some of your work to get in team, and what do you expect if they will take you in team? They wont pay u. :D

The idea is to manage their forums, keep the player base happy, police the game to make sure exploits aren't cropping up. I see a few projects trying to appeal to an english audience and making a few mistakes with how they put things. The community manager role is what I'm talking about, and I always thought online games needed someone to be in that role to excite the players, keep them active, and keep that connection between the player and the development team there. 

I'm not looking to help make a game, I'm looking to help maintain an already released/about to release game COMMUNITY. So the players is who I will be giving support to, to help them play the game and promote positive interactions between players.

_edit: grammatical error_

> You can do that without higher rank in forum or game. . . Do you?

I understand that, and I already fill that role in some communities. However, I would like to be able to work alongside a game development team so I can use them as a reference.

• 1 year later...
When i look for moderators its usually not the people that ask me about it that get it.

Personally, I  stalk potential mods either in-game or by following their forum activity and see how they act as a normal member.

big question for you though, how could this be a profession? Not trying to crush any dreams just curiocity about where one would apply for a paying job as a online moderator. its VERY easy to find unpaid moderators and its moderatly difficult to find good unpaid moderators but both dont take that much effort.

> big question for you though, how could this be a profession? Not trying to crush any dreams just curiocity about where one would apply for a paying job as a online moderator. its VERY easy to find unpaid moderators and its moderatly difficult to find good unpaid moderators but both dont take that much effort.

Big companies hire Community managers, they get paid to manage the community on a large basis, however, there's very few jobs for this, and a lot of potential candidates.

Alright.

As an actual Moderator at a current existing website for a MMO game and a ex-Mod for 6 other sites and Administrator for 2 websites, I can say with experience that you are asking for a world of trouble and you will not get what you desire this early in the process. 

You need to be well received within the community that you join. You can't just join and in the same week decide to pioneer for modship. You need to know what goes on with the community. Do you know all of the functions on this website? Can you safely walk someone through errors to get something to work? How will you handle defiance? Just because you have a history editing guides and writing wiki's doesn't mean that you're automatically qualified for Modship.

Finally, I don't think you realize what a Forum Moderator's job entails. From my own history, you are to log onto the forum you're moderating multiple times every day; Sift through a bunch of posts and threads; Check reports and decide how you can take care of the problems that caused the report without any bias at all.

Everyday, this is what you do as a Forum Moderator. With what you're asking, I think you want to be a reporter for someone's game. Goes with the fact that you can already do this with in the state you currently are in. You've done it before on other websites as a normal user, what's stopping you now?

Take the time to know your community and it's functions. Don't take on more than you can chew. You'll choke.