Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tilesets for a commercial project!?

Khalus

Hi everyone, long-time lurker for years, but never said anything.  Anyway for the past few years I've been in the process of designing a 2D MMO and have always planned on using the Eclipse Engine, but my project was put on hold and I've recently started working on it even more of late.  Even have several friends to help now and make it something many will enjoy.

Well, my ultimate plan is to make a commercial MMO; one which will generate money eventually.  I've an incredible idea which I'll share eventually, but the question I'm looking for an answer too, **_"what currently existing tile sets are basically free to use if said game does go commercial, and does changing a tile sets' colors make a new creation free from cease and desist notifications!"_**

Now I don't plan on using any tile sets from existing 2D RPGs from Square and others, and I plan to make as many custom ones as possible.  One tile set I'm particularly interested in are these Red Caves I found here on Eclipse.  Can I use these tile sets and change the colors of them freely!?

![](http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww198/Khalus_Akuhei/Red-Cave.jpg)

hrm, kinda figured it wouldn't be that easy.  Most of my game is written down and I'm ready to start creating the maps and putting it together.  That of course will take the next year or so, but was hoping to get a jump on it with some free-to-use tile sets somewhere that I can just change the colors of.  _{and of course credit the creator of…}_

Does anyone know of some tiles for which I'm talking about, or know of any tutorials for creating your own sets…like a guideline.  More than likely I'll just end up making my own off of something existing as a guide but change the shapes and style drastically...

You can't rip off copyrighted graphics, adjust the hue a bit in a program, and then think it will protect you from cease and desist letters or any other copyright breaches. It should be painstaking obvious that your still using their hard work, regardless of whether you edited it or not. It does not change the fact that it does still use their work.

Either use free source tilesets, (if you can find any), or make your own from scratch.

@Kreator:

> You can't rip off copyrighted graphics, adjust the hue a bit in a program.

Yeah I get that and never said I'd do that{thats why I'm asking questions}….I clearly said that I'd use an exiting set as a guide, and change the shapes and style drastically making it my own.  It would then look nothing like the original copyrighted one...  There are only so many ways you can make a 2D cave look...heh

Thank you very much Munro and ddunit for mentioning it!  Its a great start and does allow me to use them commercially with permission and credit given, though I'm going to ask if I can change them slightly as well so its not a complete copy!  …and Kreator, sorry if I sounded as if attacking you.

@Munro:

> http://www.rpgrevolution.com/lunaproductions/br/index.html

You have just doomed every game that has used breeze…
and by the way, before anyone uses breeze you should read the Terms of Service so you don't get sued.

**Regards,
Chao**

there is a set of tiles you can use commerically which can be found by googling

inquisitors rpg palace

and clicking the first link. shit ill do it right now and link the two sets.

http://www.rpg-palace.com/artists/xpexterior.php
http://www.rpg-palace.com/downloads/details.php?id=22

Actually, I was just about to mention that set by the Inquisitor as I love it very much and it'll do just about everything I need, except interior tiles like caves.  I've already spoken with the Inquisitor about using his tiles commercially and unfortunately I can't unless I purchase the rights from him to do so, which is ok as I didn't expect to get much if anything for free. 

Here are the prices he quoted me, which looks like he has them posted somewhere on the forums there and I missed them.
![](http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww198/Khalus_Akuhei/Inquisitor-Fees.jpg)

Those are a rather good deal to me, roughly I'd say about **$309.48** for the use of the Outdoor and Interior tiles, I don't need the worldmap tile since I'm making an MMO.  Now I just need to find an interior cave tileset that would fit well with these that I can buy or find someone that would be willing to make a set for me!  _{I tried several hours this morning to make my own and failed miserably…I have no sense of shading or texturing skill at all...couldn't make a single 32*32 tile look even remotely ok...heh}_

I can't quite afford them yet, but until I get the money and a cave set I'm going to base my game off these tilesets which it perfectly ok, I just can't attempt to charge for my game until I buy the rights to use them, which is going to be at least a year from now before I get a fully working MMO.  I'm also awaiting the 3.0 update to Eclipse before a friend an I make a custom UI, menus and other things underwraps for now!