Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bots/Spyders….

YOUR-DOOM

Bots are created for many different reasons. The only time I needed to create a bot is when I was farming for Gold on StarWars Galaxies. The bot basically handles all the exceptions that may occur.

Bots just automate tasks that would otherwise be boring as batpoo, or to create fake accounts , spam - or automatically update news feeds etc.. there are some legitimate purposes for them.

Just google "Creating a Bot"

Google is God.

The best language would obviously be something like C/C++ but also VB6 and Java could do the job for instance it all depends on you and the references available.

Also if Google's bots/spiders/crawlers go around and spam then it's certainly not from Google unless they got insane and tried to test stuff.

Regards,
  Godlord.

I went to a website (proboards.com), and it had an obvious Copyright at the bottom of there page.
If a website doesn't have a copyright on there page does that meen it and its objects (swf, php, gif…) are free for the taking?
For example there are arcade sites, and I would like to take some of there .swf files. However if it is illeagal then I would rather stear clear. :)

The copyright is for the web page mainly. The content may/may not be affected by the copyright depending on the content.

If copyright is unavailable it doesn't mean the content is free or not. It just means that you're not allowed to copy it or claim it to be yours as that would be plagiarism.

Also PHP can't be downloaded unless a link is provided for it to be downloaded.

Regards,
  Godlord.

Even if something is not copyrighted, you cannot take it and use it for your own use. Anything created by someone else is considered "intellectual property". The only thing the copyright does is prove that X was created by person Y on Z date in case they have to go to court to protect it.

For you to be able to download it and use it on your own site, the owner must give permission. This means that they must state in clear language that it is either A. Intended for the public domain or B. Offering a publicly available (such as GNU) license or custom license giving users the ability for some uses of the property while they still retain partial control over it. Option B is uses far more often these days than Option A.

It does not matter if you plan to make money from the property or not. Someone else's property is still their property, and you could be sued for damages occurring by your use of it.

When in doubt, contact the owner and ask them if your use of their material is appropriate.

• 3 weeks later...
@dacypher:

> Even if something is not copyrighted, you cannot take it and use it for your own use. Anything created by someone else is considered "intellectual property". The only thing the copyright does is prove that X was created by person Y on Z date in case they have to go to court to protect it.
>
> For you to be able to download it and use it on your own site, the owner must give permission. This means that they must state in clear language that it is either A. Intended for the public domain or B. Offering a publicly available (such as GNU) license or custom license giving users the ability for some uses of the property while they still retain partial control over it. Option B is uses far more often these days than Option A.
>
> It does not matter if you plan to make money from the property or not. Someone else's property is still their property, and you could be sued for damages occurring by your use of it.
>
> When in doubt, contact the owner and ask them if your use of their material is appropriate.

But is it the same with Flash Games?
Because some places like max games (maxgames.com), or pog (pog.com) just use flash games from all sorts of different sites. Personally I think it would be impossible to contact that many owners, and get their approval.