Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've discovered the secret of hit songs.(AKA my rant)

munro

So on my way back from "I love you, man" my Mom but it on sng hip-hop station. Now we had to drive across the town to get back home so I lisened to alot of this. In lisening to all this hip-hop and hit music I started looking up music trends and then came up with theory.

Lets cover the idea before I get into detail. I'm not targeting any specific music but I'll be using Hip-hop and rap because those are "in". Ps: pop music is under Hip-hop. And when I say hip-hop, rap is counted under that.

First my rant. Out of the, I don't know, 8 hip-hop songs I heard….6 where based on old 80' rock songs. Now I have no problem with this as long as they keep the idea. Today one of thoses songs where a remix on a dance-rockish song. Do you know what they turned it into? A song about "going down" on someone. Thats the ducking line with me. I don't know abou any of you but I take music seriously. Its not just something I lisen to on my Ipod when I'm bored. It means something to me. And when something clean is turned into something about blowjobs I'm pissed. It's just a song, it's just a fad, but get some ducking originality music should mean something. Not "Take a song change the lyrics to mean something dirty and make millions".

Now my theory. The one's that this apply to might be pissed and disagree but people who understand music will get it.

Forget everything you were told about music. Music lost it's meaning years ago, now its just about image. You really want to become the next producer or the next whatever. My tip? take psychology. Why? Because music is about image. As I said I started looking at trends. Every new hit song has at least one part of the song with the same beat as the next. Thats because more then 70% of us don't even lisen to the lyrics or the song. We just hear a catchy beat and decide we like the song. Each "Hit" song has a common beat the only difference, the image.

If I took a Britney Spears, added some hard guitar, made the voice rugged and sold it as punk. I'd be the new Nirvana or something. Why? People couldent give two shits. It's the image they want. They want to walk down the street and say "I lisen to ____" and they could care less. Examples? "Metro station", "Simple plan","Headley". Honestly lisen to some. Its pop music, but look at the image. And because of that image it's being sold as "Punk".

My advice for an upcoming band: Use old 80's beats and add a modern twist.

If you want to start a band down the road: Take a psychology class or at least read some psychology books. Look at producers these days. These guys are smart, they use fads to make money.

I 100% agree! Finally someone with my thoughts! All this bullshit in the media does is take once great songs and turning them into some bullshit about sex and poo tang.. Seriously? I especially hate the hiphop artists who take brilliant techno (the reason i say techno is because thats the music im passionate about) and turn it into sex and drugs. For instance..
Kanye West: Took a Daft Punk Song and turned it into something dirty, vial and vulgar…

Also, on the note about the punk and hit trends.. They are just bullshitting their way out of making up something original and new. They find a song, say "that sounds cool, lets make something completely retarded out of it and ruin the songs meaning"
That upsets me like no Ducking other... seriously.

Um, I agree with you… but I wanna point out that people are completely wrong about right round...

it's about her being a stripper and spinning around while going down the pole. the whole songs about being in a strip club.

He's just a dumb ass and Duck up the song which made people thing it's about oral sex.

Still, I agree with you. That's one song... and uhhh that song Live your Life by T.I. and Rihanna took music from Numa Numa Yei...

But not all of it is remakes. For example, Chris Brown. I don't know of one of his songs that uses a previously made song. Too bad he went and f-d all that up...

I completely agree. I hate the rap/hip-hop/pop/crappy music trend going on as well. There is no call for a rap remake of "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger." It happens. Rap is not what it used to be, it was once about originality and making a statement, but now it's about conformity. I refuse to listen to anything that has crap lyrics about something illegal or something that should be illegal. I HATE it. Gawd. Music is supposed to portray messages and emotions, but there is no emotion in a simple drum beat mixed by a guy who is not even affiliated with the musician. People will see, but not anytime soon.

How to make a hit song:

1\. Create a catchy repetitive beat consisting of rasta island steel drums.
2\. Make subliminal remarks about how society "doesn't understand you" in the lyrics.
3\. Suggest the fact that you have more than one sexual partner.
5\. Act like your still a underdog in the business and living in the ghetto, even if you live in the suburbs.
6\. Allow the song to fade out on a A chord repeating the chorus.

Bam, millionaire tomorrow.