Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Finally - Eclipse Mac Port!

relaxis

Hi guys,

I've been away from the eclipse scene for ages, mainly to do with the fact that 2d mmorpg making became a little redundant with the buying of my mac -

however, I have after long consideration started porting the VB code over to REALbasic considering the large increase in realbasic functionality and am in the process of doing a quick and dirty batch conversion of the code.

As soon as it is done I will post the source up here for anybody who wants to help with cleaning up the code and making a workable port. Advantages of realbasic are speed increase and flexibility with using opengl, sdl as well as advanced particle engines and 3d engines. With a little luck we may be able to create something quite special in the world of mmorpg engine making for mac.

@relaxis:

> Hi guys,
>
> I've been away from the eclipse scene for ages, mainly to do with the fact that 2d mmorpg making became a little redundant with the buying of my mac -
>
> however, I have after long consideration started porting the VB code over to REALbasic considering the large increase in realbasic functionality and am in the process of doing a quick and dirty batch conversion of the code.
>
> As soon as it is done I will post the source up here for anybody who wants to help with cleaning up the code and making a workable port. Advantages of realbasic are speed increase and flexibility with using opengl, sdl as well as advanced particle engines and 3d engines. With a little luck we may be able to create something quite special in the world of mmorpg engine making for mac.

great news!(if its true)
Hopefully I can get my hands dirty in the source

There will be some problems to address but it is doable.

I'm using vb convert! pro to port the project source but there will be some problems mainly to do with the socket code and whatever .net code the converter won't handle. These need to be addressed by potentially recoding the way all tcp connections are handled, client and server side (which is going to be a bitch to handle) but hopefully it should be ok. One article a while ago on the forum talking about porting from vb to realbasic did worry me which was that older versions of realbasic didn't use arrays within arrays - I don't know yet if this is fixed in the new version…

Either way, anyone willing to help out will be a great asset - I couldn't possibly do this one alone!

@V-Rage:

> fail

Lol, true, but it's better than writing the whole thing from scratch. At least this way we can conserve a lot of the built in functionality of the engine. Otherwise I'll just keep the source to myself.

My idea is to get engine v2.7 to work as Mac port v0.1 - and to finalise it as a working engine. From there on we can make expansion. If it works, I'm guessing we're going to need a dev forum and mac user forum on this site…

@ÅÐмiядζ:

> EE version 3.0 is written in Java; doesn't Java work on the mac?
>
> EDIT: Or wouldn't it alteast be easier to port into the mac?

I don't know much about Java but I do know that it can be slow and cumbersome - realbasic has 3d support and is infintely expandable using plugins…You only have to look at runescape to see the difficulty in implementing 3d in java - looks kinda shoddy don't it.

EE 3.0 is written in Java!

OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, *dances around the room*, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, *Scares old lady*, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, *Robs a Taco merchant*, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG…

Anyway, MR. Java-can-be-slow-and-cumbersome don't go judging Java on Runescape! We all know RS is slow and awful but that's not the languages fault - more the fault of the programmers and artists. And with Crank making Eclipse++ (in C++) and 3.0 being in Java, a Real Basic port isn't really needed. WE'll have so many version it'll be hard to keep track of 'em all.

@relaxis:

> I don't know much about Java but I do know that it can be slow and cumbersome - realbasic has 3d support and is infintely expandable using plugins…You only have to look at runescape to see the difficulty in implementing 3d in java - looks kinda shoddy don't it.

Your arguing that realbasic is faster then java….

Hey kids, I heard you liek mudkips?

Here is the rapidlink for the zip. It contains the original source and the quick and dirty conversion to REALbasic. The conversion log files are there too with all the conversion errors (of which there are surprisingly few) - enjoy.  :azn:

http://rapidshare.com/files/222098584/REALBASIC_CONV.zip.html