Find results in...

Auto Updater

Marsh

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wait wait I think this still works right? Theres only like 9 types of things I need others to upload, and I got the FTP stuff all wrapped up but I still have one question, how will the newversion.txt be changed? Like after it is

> client.exe
> 2

Wouldn't it end forever there because its in the clients folder??

@Marsh:

> No it will download it from online and update it

like would the number "2" be stuck forever when its on someone elses computer? cause if I send this to someone elses computer and if it stays on 2 forever in their newversion.txt it wont update D:

No, i dont think you understand. It will download a NEW FILE, new! off the internet… a new file. It will take some data from the internet, then it will download a new newversion.txt and replace the one that used to be there.

so ok, now if I change something in my FTP, the updater automatically auto updates from the ftp? really? its that cool?? like all I ahve to do is to change my items.bmp (for e.g) and then on someone else' computer it will just automatically say its updating? If so that is soooo freakin cool

@Vålöñシ:

> so ok, now if I change something in my FTP, the updater automatically auto updates from the ftp? really? its that cool?? like all I ahve to do is to change my items.bmp (for e.g) and then on someone else' computer it will just automatically say its updating? If so that is soooo freakin cool

I think you may need to reread the tutorial. When you change the newversion.txt in your ftp it will download that see its new and download the file that was updated…

@Vålöñシ:

> so ok, now if I change something in my FTP, the updater automatically auto updates from the ftp? really? its that cool?? like all I ahve to do is to change my items.bmp (for e.g) and then on someone else' computer it will just automatically say its updating? If so that is soooo freakin cool

The person running the updater has a file on his computer also containing the stuff newversion.txt contains, if you change your newversion.txt on the server the updater sees it's changed, looks which file is changed, downloads it, and changes it's own newversion.txt to match the one on your server.

EDIT:
![](http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/russell32896/autoupdaterhelp.png)

This is what I have for my ftp, but it still doesnt work for some reason :cry:

> CurrentVersion:
> Client.exe
> 1
> GFX/Arrows.bmp
> 1
> GFX/BigSpells.bmp
> 1
> GFX/BigSprites.bmp
> 1
> GFX/Emoticons.bmp
> 1
> GFX/Items.bmp
> 1
> GFX/Sprites.bmp
> 1
> GFX/Tiles0.bmp
> 1
> GFX/Tiles1.bmp
> 1
> GFX/Tiles3.bmp
> 1
> GUI/MainMenu.jpg
> 1

> NewVersion:
> Client.exe
> 1
> GFX/Arrows.bmp
> 2
> GFX/BigSpells.bmp
> 1
> GFX/BigSprites.bmp
> 1
> GFX/Emoticons.bmp
> 1
> GFX/Items.bmp
> 1
> GFX/Sprites.bmp
> 1
> GFX/Tiles0.bmp
> 1
> GFX/Tiles1.bmp
> 1
> GFX/Tiles3.bmp
> 1
> GUI/MainMenu.jpg
> 1

> Data:
> Cartoon World Online
> http://www.cartoonworldonline.net/
> Client.exe

It proberly just doesnt work then, it seemed fine for me though i didnt do much testing. The source is availible for anyone who wants to test it out. I will not be finding the problem or bothering to update. I have another project that is taking up my coding time.