Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it possible?

Ricky

If you have the determination can anyone learn how to script VB6, make tilesets, characters, items, music? or do you have to be very artistic? I have great ideas for a game but when I try to draw out my plans it looks like junk. I used to code java a bit is VB6 a lot easier? And also I have no idea where I should start on my game I want to be able to code so I can re adjust the screen and make new menus. I want to move around the inventory, chat. etc but I also want to be able to get rid of stuff I don't want in the client/server and also add extra things I do want. I'm 17 years old turning 18 soon and I kinda feel like it might be too late for me  :sad: I see some of you guys are like 13 or so and you guys are so amazing at this stuff. I hope I don't sound too strange lol but it's been my dream for a long time to create my own MMORPG. I am willing to read all the tutorials necessary (already started) and I am willing to put around 3 hours a day into making this happen. The main problem I am going to have is making custom menus because photoshop lags like crazy on my computer I can only use GIMP but that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

My friend, anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

VB6 is very easy to learn if you know another language; another thing good for you, is that the version of Eclipse in development now (Solar Eclipse) is written in Java.

Now, I've never dedicated myself to graphics, but it took me about 2 days to learn vb-syntax, and a week to get proficient in Sadscript (aka vbscript); I'm 19, I started learning scripting, when I was 19 (as well as C++, abit of assembly, forth, fortran, some other stuff) and you can ask anyone, I'm a very good scripter; one of the best on the forums (I don't know too much VB6, as I don't think it's worth learning; I know the syntax though).

Well Ricky, i myself am also 17 turning 18 and the only scripting, tiling, mapping, etc ive done was about 2 years ago (which didnt last long) and a few years before that using tiles i merely recolored. Working on my new project ive learned scripting, made most of my own tiles and created custom sprites (working on custom guis); so it is completely possible for you to do it too and do anything you really want to.

As for photoshop, i personally use paint.net. its very similar to photoshop but is more lightweight and might be easier for you to run. (also known as PDN)

Good luck to you with whatever you choose!

@Godlordess:

> Not everybody has time for that. Some people want to do their own stuff, or have personal issues or whatever.
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

Oh please "nobody has time", who ever is HERE on the forums has time, that's for sure. If they didn't, they would be out having A LIFE.

@Ridrik:

> Off topic: Why didn't you help us with the pet script then since your "so good"?

I already said numerous times why I'm not making a pet script.

Primary reason: I don't need it.  Sure, I needed a Gun System, so I'm scripting that.  I needed spells that level up with EXP when you cast them, so I made that.  I've written a script using custom menus, where players can create their own spells by stepping on a scripted tile – effects and all.  I even re-wrote the NPC's attack system via scripting for my Rock, Paper, Scissors game, in which I dynamically would spawn the NPC on the map, control it to attack the players a certain way, and die/attack accordingly.  But I have no use for a pet script, so it's not worth the hassle.

With that being said, I was asked this about three other times, allow me to explain the 4th (I'm just copying-and-pasting now):
There are various problems with a scripted pet system.

You would have to have a way to spawn the NPC on the map; this is possible, actually, and there's even a command for it.  But you would have to get an available MapNpcIndex (and since it only goes to 15, you can have no more than 15 NPCs on a map at any given time; which means if the map is full of NPCs, you can't spawn your pet), then spawn an NPC.

The script may have to run a continuous loop (lag?) to force the NPC in-question to follow the player everywhere, unless you can setup hotkeys for the arrows, to tell the NPC to go left-right-up-down, if it exists.

You would need to rid OnAttack to check if you have an NPC out, then make it "look like" the NPC is attacking the player's target; this can go from simple to very complicated, depending on how realistic you want it to be.

You'll also have to rig the OnMapLoad sub, or w/e it's called, to check how many NPCs are on the target map, find an index (or kill your pet if there isn't an available index), and re-spawn the NPC there.

That's just afew things off the top of my head, but trying to get a pet script system working is a very difficult task; Cyrus did a full sourced pokemon battle system, and there are many, many, people who took his engine to claim it as their own, so them and their little friends can run around their small community saying "lookie what I did mommy" and get their pat on the head, while the hard work went unrecognized.  One member I know, was able to make a fully-scripted pet system, though he never released it....

Then again, if I made one and planned to release it, it would only be because I made it TO release, and wasn't intending on actually using it, otherwise I wouldn't release at all (well, maybe in the Veteran's Script board).

@мсичġġєт:

> Admiral has his own life. Don't expect him to do everything.
> If you want something nowadays. Do it yourself or look around in databases.

If I'm not mistaken, Ridrik is working on a pet system (atleast, he was last time I checked).

You guys are just hating as well, lots of people ask, and you wouldn't do it. All you do is some dumb-ass scripts no one wants.

EDIT: Not anymore, the team got in the argument, locked the topic and that's it. We were 70% done…

@Ridrik:

> You guys are just hating as well, lots of people ask, and you wouldn't do it. All you do is some dumb-ass scripts no one wants.
>
> EDIT: Not anymore, the team got in the argument, locked the topic and that's it. We were 70% done…

I'm sorry if I made you upset, and that I put you under the impression I was "hating you"; that was not the intention; I was just trying to answer your question on my personal reasons for not making a pet script (as you came abit aggressive at me, I wanted to clarify my response, hence the length, etc) :icon_crap:

I'm trying to understand what you meant by "All you do is some dumb-ass scripts no one wants.".

The scripts I make (usually) are scripts I think may be useful for scripters and users; most of them are not "dumb-ass" scripts that nobody wants.

Here are the scripts I've submitted to the Script Database; it would be hard to find the scripts that I've made in the Script Request board for users, as during the spring, I've made several a week.

The only ones I can think of that are "dumb-ass" scripts, would be the http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,42647.0.html and the http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,47649.0.html script, which I admit I pretty much made them to see if I could, and to screw around with vbscript (the RollRick was to get a feel for vbscript, the destorygame was mainly to exparemnt on player-indexes and inis), though the RollRick technically was a request.
I made the [Universal Spell Script](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,40424.0.html) core because nobody could get the spells working in EE (before unnown came up with a source fix), so I thought I'd contribute (as my first script, I was still learning when I made this one) to the community and give that out.  Many users appreciated it, and many users used the core; one member even extended it.
The [Directional Block](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,45984.0.html) was a request, because the vb version wasn't working, and many users were asking for a solution.
I made the http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,47360.0.html as a request; and users did use this script.
I made the http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,42418.0.html because someone requested it, I think it was my 2nd or 3rd script.
I made the http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,44509.0.html as one of my first scripts; though I suppose not too many people used it.
I made the http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,47747.0.html and http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,40937.0.html because I wrote them for Retarded Online, and figured I'd release them (as some users actually liked the Arcade system).
I made the http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,45565.0.html as a request.
I made the http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,47846.0.html for my Rock, Paper, Scissors, mmorpg, and decided to contribute it; I wouldn't call it "dumb-ass", but I don't know how many people actually wanted it.
I made [this plugin for Baron's Quest Script](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,5309.msg465937.html#msg465937) as a request, and thought it'd be useful for other people.
I posted the [Reputation System](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,47847.0.html), in hopes someone would debug it, as I didn't have time to figure out what was wrong (never tested it).
I threw up the [Main.txt that only uses #includes](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,44071.0.html) as I thought it'd be a more organized way of installing scripts, and now it's the Main.txt used in [Ambardia Online](http://www.ambardia.com/), and I'm honored that it is.

I may have missed one, but if I did, it still may be useful to someone, don't you agree?

"lots of people ask, and you wouldn't do it"
As I said, it's simply too hard to do; too much to work with, and would require source edits; I'm a scritper, not a sourcer.  Most things can be done in sadscript, and a pet system sorta can be done in sadscript, but it would simply be too much of a burden to do for free, for the reasons stated above.

I'm also very sorry that the system you were working on didn't work out; I was actually looking forward to seeing the contribution, especially since you guys have gotten so close from not just being another number on the "failed attempts" table :sad:

EDIT: If I have flamed you or your work in any way, please let me know, as I would like to know what warranted the insulting of my work, as it is quite a jab, when after spending the past 7 months doing virtually nothing but either answering questions, or making scripts to help users, that, instead of a thank you, you receive a comment saying how your work is "dumb-ass"-quality, and nobody wants it; regardless of the fact you are **wrong** (for reasons pointed above), the comment still "hurts"….  It's times like this, that I ask myself why I spend over 6 hours a day doing nothing but helping users on these forums.

@Ridrik:

> You guys are just hating as well, lots of people ask, and you wouldn't do it. All you do is some dumb-ass scripts no one wants.
>
> EDIT: Not anymore, the team got in the argument, locked the topic and that's it. We were 70% done…

I'm a programmer, not a scripter. We don't hate you, we just don't want to, you can't force everybody to work on it. I like messing with X11 instead of writing some pet script. Why? Because I don't use Eclipse for ages anymore and because X11 is more fun in C than a petscript in Sadscript. I'm sorry if this is not like you wanted it, but we can't make it any different.

Also such a lame comment as "dumb-ass scripts" wont bring any of us further, not at all. It's both insulting as well as de-motivating.

Regards,
  Godlord.

Wow so many offtopic posts. so if i do one it wont matter :D. anyways,Who cares about a Pet script anyways o.O its not something needed for games (more than 50% of games out there dont have one.) and for doign something you dont need lol i dint need to do It i just did it to sharpen My skills, and waste some time.

Reason why i dint need to do the script: I dont even have a game project of my own. I was planing on starting one when 3.0 comes out, buts ive been waiting for it for like 2 years now. Or something like that im not sure. So anything i code now wont be usefull for the new version.

About Ban Me Or Ridrik: Hes just mad that i left the team and the Pet System coulnt keep on being developed, so he took out his Anger on you two cause he wanted you to help him but you werent able to.

ONTopic: Ricky age dosent matter. im 16 and im still aroudn this forum and i plan to be around till it closes. Or until i Stop using computers lol, Also you can learn anythign aslong as you dedicate some time to it, and it will take a while but you will get it, If otehr people are abel to learn it so can anyone else.

@Bloodmyst:

> Wow so many offtopic posts. so if i do one it wont matter :D. anyways,Who cares about a Pet script anyways o.O its not something needed for games (more than 50% of games out there dont have one.) and for doign something you dont need lol i dint need to do It i just did it to sharpen My skills, and waste some time.
>
> Reason why i dint need to do the script: I dont even have a game project of my own. I was planing on starting one when 3.0 comes out, buts ive been waiting for it for like 2 years now. Or something like that im not sure. So anything i code now wont be usefull for the new version.
>
> About Ban Me Or Ridrik: Hes just mad that i left the team and the Pet System coulnt keep on being developed, so he took out his Anger on you two cause he wanted you to help him but you werent able to.
>
> ONTopic: Ricky age dosent matter. im 16 and im still aroudn this forum and i plan to be around till it closes. Or until i Stop using computers lol, Also you can learn anythign aslong as you dedicate some time to it, and it will take a while but you will get it, If otehr people are abel to learn it so can anyone else.

Ridrik should had have behaved himself; he shouldn't have it taken out on **anybody**. For the amount of spam, flaming and insulting he has gained his punishment by both a moderator and an administrator, well to say. This subject however, should be dropped though as there's no point (anymore) to speak about him and his behaviour.

@Ricky:

> If you have the determination can anyone learn how to script VB6, make tilesets, characters, items, music? or do you have to be very artistic? I have great ideas for a game but when I try to draw out my plans it looks like junk. I used to code java a bit is VB6 a lot easier? And also I have no idea where I should start on my game I want to be able to code so I can re adjust the screen and make new menus. I want to move around the inventory, chat. etc but I also want to be able to get rid of stuff I don't want in the client/server and also add extra things I do want. I'm 17 years old turning 18 soon and I kinda feel like it might be too late for me  :sad: I see some of you guys are like 13 or so and you guys are so amazing at this stuff. I hope I don't sound too strange lol but it's been my dream for a long time to create my own MMORPG. I am willing to read all the tutorials necessary (already started) and I am willing to put around 3 hours a day into making this happen. The main problem I am going to have is making custom menus because photoshop lags like crazy on my computer I can only use GIMP but that shouldn't be a problem.
>
> Thanks

I'm sorry that your topic got ruined and de-railed for this nonsense, but let me at least answer your question.

Age doesn't really tell anything. It's mainly the dedication and the amount of time you spend.

Regards,
  Godlord.