Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Money from Game

Qazek

@Qazek:

> But Aphelion Online can make money. why?

Unless they aren't using things like MP3 and graphics/music made by others, it would be illegal.

You can make money, but if you're using MP3, it would be illegal. Same with non-self-made graphics and music.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Godlord:

> Unless they aren't using things like MP3 and graphics/music made by others, it would be illegal.
>
> You can make money, but if you're using MP3, it would be illegal. Same with non-self-made graphics and music.
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

It's illegal using them anyway, unless the owner specifically say they're usable in a non-profit product.

@Robin:

> It's illegal using them anyway, unless the owner specifically say they're usable in a non-profit product.

The chance to get sued by using those for a non-profit product is usually smaller though, although that exists. Best way to find out is to contact the author.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Godlord:

> The chance to get sued by using those for a non-profit product is usually smaller though, although that exists. Best way to find out is to contact the author.
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

Yeah, that's how most of us get away with it. They don't really care about a shit little game with a dozen players.

@Robin:

> Yeah, that's how most of us get away with it. They don't really care about a shit little game with a dozen players.

Haha, true. Plus they wouldn't care a shit, after they found it on Google, whenever they figure out what they need to type to find it.

Regards,
  Godlord.

the only legal way you can make money is if you put a dontate bit on the site whitch you put up to say to players that you need help with money to get better servers and cost wise. your not gurented money but at least is legal :P

@craze:

> the only legal way you can make money is if you put a dontate bit on the site whitch you put up to say to players that you need help with money to get better servers and cost wise. your not gurented money but at least is legal :P

Did you not read my fucking post? These types of games using copyrighted images, music, sounds and the like, it's illegal. Whether you charge people to play or not, the legality doesn't change.

@craze:

> the only legal way you can make money is if you put a dontate bit on the site whitch you put up to say to players that you need help with money to get better servers and cost wise. your not gurented money but at least is legal :P

Besides if using content where you only got rights for as non-profit, then you can't get any money even not via donating, because that's seen as profit.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Kimimaru:

> Can't you use Google Adware to make some money?

Yes, that has nothing to do with your game. It's just about advertising, which is a whole other story.

@craze:

> oh fair do's youll have to get permission from alot of people if you want to make money

Depends on how much you're depending on other people. For my current products in development I don't need any permission, as far as I know.

Regards,
  Godlord.

In short, you are allowed to make money with your game using the Eclipse Engine.
But you must use your own graphics and music (and as Godlord said, you cannot use mp3s, even if you made them youself)

Here is some information on copyright: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,40644.0.html
@Krankzinnig:

> **What you cant do:**
> 1\. You can not accept any form of payment in exchange for the services you provide. This includes sales, donations, server fees, add on costs (for special items or etc.). As a role of thumb, there are no loop holes, if your making money, its illegal. The ONLY way you can make money is by using Google AdSense or AdBrite. I would suggest reading their specific license terms for more information.

@Frogurt:

> That was fan games the quoth aR made.

I facepalm'd so hard my laptop broke because the rule is EXACTLY the same when you use content which is not yours and where you don't have permission for.

Learn to think before you post.

Regards,
  Godlord.