Find results in...

What makes a game fun??

Valon328

@Bazareth:

> Like on Left 4 Dad

XDo_0?XD

New divorce mmorpg?
–----------------------------------------------

#1 rule on making/keeping a game fun... as soon as you start to open up to the public... LISTEN to their suggestions!
I am not saying strive to complete/add everything they suggest... but if the majority of people interested in your game feel the same way... choosing what you want instead of what they want COULD lead to them not wanting to play... best is to make it sound like it was their idea anyway... mwahahahaha

@Robin:

> Bullshit. Valve overhyped their systems as usual. The AI may be 'random' but patterns emerge and you can plan for everything eventually. Item spawns _aren't_ random, they're in pre-set positions.

But what i mean is the idea of randomness is a good element to a game - If it was EXACTLY the same everytime - then levels such as the Farmhouse Finale would be much too easy as explosives and such would be in the same place everytime and therefore everytime you played you would know what to expect.

I liked the idea of going through Expert - almost dead and having to search for your health not having it handed to you on a plate.

Although agreeably it could have been a lot better  ;)

• 3 weeks later...
The number one most important thing a game has to have is: The game's setting needs to be superbly done.
The game world has to be original and imaginative yet also be believable at the same time. I hate how almost every single fantasy book or game is almost all unoriginal, borrowed content. When I play a good game (and these are rare) I need to feel like I am completely immersed in a different world. It is even better when I am playing as something other than a human or in the very least a human under special or interesting circumstances. Customization in both character abilities/career and choices are very important.

A great game should not be played to simply: level up, get new gear, and in general become more powerful. I've played quite a few grinding games (I must shamefully admit I played Maple story once upon a time, though fortunately saw the trend after a time and left.) which may have be somewhat fun for awhile, but the novelty always wears off. There's no point of becoming powerful in a game when the horizon of exploration does not open up and become more rewarding. Whats the point of becoming more powerful in a grinding game? Besides higher numbers on the player, monster/opponents part and flasher skills there really is no difference from the start to the end of the game.

A truly good game will do things not seen in other games. That will likely be under professions, or many small different ways of doing a game. These types of breakthrough's have been seen when implemented for the first time as: player houses, or a player morality based off of in game decisions.
I'm really tired now and so I will finish this post tomorrow. It is likly the most important question that can be asked on this site and deserves a lengthy and proper response.

-I vote to sticky this too, it is too important a question not to do so.