Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Image-Based Website

Antidote

Alright, I'm working on creating a website for my game as some of you know, and I'm not a CSS whiz, so I'm having trouble getting the text where I want it to go.  I'm wondering….would it be alright to have an image-based website?  I'd do a simple border around the text box, create a semi-transparent background, and have text on the back.

Would this load too slowly, or can you see any other problems with it?

Also, if you know any tips for letting web pages load faster (compressing images, maybe?) please let me know, as if I do this image-based design, I'd like it to still load as fast as possible.

@Antidote:

> Alright, I'm working on creating a website for my game as some of you know, and I'm not a CSS whiz, so I'm having trouble getting the text where I want it to go.  I'm wondering….would it be alright to have an image-based website?  I'd do a simple border around the text box, create a semi-transparent background, and have text on the back.
>
> Would this load too slowly, or can you see any other problems with it?
>
> Also, if you know any tips for letting web pages load faster (compressing images, maybe?) please let me know, as if I do this image-based design, I'd like it to still load as fast as possible.

That isn't SEO-friendly at all and if images are slow then use either JPEG or PNG but then again you could probably better have a website made with only Flash.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@IceCream:

> wait.. huh? Whats wrong with using just html?

I'm having too much trouble trying to get the text to go where I want to go, and it'd be a lot easier just to use images.

@Smithed:

> That isn't SEO-friendly at all and if images are slow then use either JPEG or PNG but then again you could probably better have a website made with only Flash.
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

Aahh, that makes sense.  I guess I'll just keep working at it 'til I get what I want.

Another question, how would I be able to make a custom wooden border around a text area?  Like…a custom border, not a simple wooden line.  I'm having a lot more trouble than I thought to get my site to look the way I want it to...

@Antidote:

> I'm having too much trouble trying to get the text to go where I want to go, and it'd be a lot easier just to use images.
>
> Aahh, that makes sense.  I guess I'll just keep working at it 'til I get what I want.
>
> Another question, how would I be able to make a custom wooden border around a text area?  Like…a custom border, not a simple wooden line.  I'm having a lot more trouble than I thought to get my site to look the way I want it to...

Use a div with a textarea inside and style the div.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Antidote:

> Alright, I'm working on creating a website for my game as some of you know, and I'm not a CSS whiz, so I'm having trouble getting the text where I want it to go.  I'm wondering….would it be alright to have an image-based website?  I'd do a simple border around the text box, create a semi-transparent background, and have text on the back.
>
> Would this load too slowly, or can you see any other problems with it?
>
> Also, if you know any tips for letting web pages load faster (compressing images, maybe?) please let me know, as if I do this image-based design, I'd like it to still load as fast as possible.

Eh. ust use microsoft frontpage. I'm using it for my school website and you can change the formatting and stuff. Hope you have it.

Wow, Gedit's amazing - thanks guys.  I was just using a simple text editor before and didn't think it'd make much of a difference, but wow, it has. 

Also, DDunit, I'm not an idiot when it comes to CSS and HTML, I know all about that kind of stuff, but I'm just having trouble getting my pages to align properly.

And McNugget, I already have a WYSIWYG editor, and I really prefer to make my websites from scratch, as I already know CSS and HTML, and I don't think it'd be worth my time to learn another system.

To show you guys what I mean by an image-based site, just take a look at this:
[GhostX](http://ghostx.gamengame.com/guide/gameinfo.jce?mID=21)
If you right/click anywhere where it displays the information, and select "view image" you can see that the page is made up of images.  Now, I know that this isn't good for SEO, but I honestly don't think that this is going to make a difference.  Maybe later on if I have a decent playerbase, then I can consider re-working the website, but not now.

Thanks for the help so far guys, you're awesome!

> Wow, Gedit's amazing - thanks guys.  I was just using a simple text editor before and didn't think it'd make much of a difference, but wow, it has.

I know, I use it for shell scripts, makefiles, C, C++, Assembly, (X)HTML, CSS, PHP, JS, etc. Simple program with many highlighters and without a (usually messed up) WYSIWYG-editor, which I don't use anyway.

> To show you guys what I mean by an image-based site, just take a look at this:
> [GhostX](http://ghostx.gamengame.com/guide/gameinfo.jce?mID=21)

That site looks awesome. If you want to make a SEO-friendly site then just pass text (HTML-only) through via PHP if you detect it's Google or something. If you want to know what crawlers/bots can see, then get Lynx.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@The:

> That site looks awesome. If you want to make a SEO-friendly site then just pass text (HTML-only) through via PHP if you detect it's Google or something. If you want to know what crawlers/bots can see, then get Lynx.
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

Yeah, I know!  I honestly think that a lot of it has to do with the fact that it's images, too.  I don't think you could do that with just HTML.  And I don't believe that I know what Lynx is, what it does, or how to get it.  I understand kind of what you mean by passing the text through PHP, but…yeah, a little bit more, like a tutorial or a deep explanation would be good.

Alright, I don't know what I'm looking for exactly.  It's just a browser, not like a web editor or something….sorry if I'm missing the point, but I'm not finding exactly what I want.

Also, I doubt that I have the capability to make a good site - especially the kind of site that I want - with just HTML and CSS.  Thanks for the help guys, I'll start putting together some images and the like pretty soon!

> Alright, I don't know what I'm looking for exactly.  It's just a browser, not like a web editor or something….sorry if I'm missing the point, but I'm not finding exactly what I want.

Was just an example to show what Google, Yahoo and MSN bots see.

Regards,
  Godlord.

I use NuSphere phpED for all my coding on the trial right now, It's good to have as an IDE but now much difference from notepad except highlighting and autocompletion (If you look at the code editor only.)

Btw, my website also uses css and html and the layout is done with divs, It doesn't use crappy tables for layout, http://x3tech.com

Regards, Xeross

Edit: Oh yes and the links on my website use an unordered list and the text is not embedded in the images.

Hey, I like that, Xeross!  Mind if I use the CSS as a bit of a guideline with my site?  It'll look different, but just the general divs and stuff like that.

Also, Godlord, the Gedit isn't working the way that I need.  First of all, it's not even opening my .css file that I'm working on, and when I save the .css files, it's not…I don't know, it's just acting weird.  I don't know if it makes much of a difference, but I'm using it on a Mac (yes, I downloaded the .dmg).