Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I got Ubuntu

Harris6310

@Harris:

> I downloaded Ubuntu because I was fed up with vista and I have got to say this is awsome! I love it were you can have two desktops and switch between them. Just one question to someone who has it though. How do I get my vista files on here?

Just mount the other partitions, my Ubuntu does this automagically as I've configured this during set up. Linux Ubuntu has full FAT support and full NTFS support since 8.10, if I remember well. I'm running a quattroboot (Solaris 10, Windows XP Professional SP3, Windows 7 Ultimate RC and Linux Ubuntu 9.4) on this computer, the laptop I'm going to buy will be running a sexboot (Windows XP Professional SP3, Windows Vista Ultimate Edition SP2, Windows 7 Ultimate RC, Linux Ubuntu 9.4, Mac OS X 10.5 and Solaris 10) which is full of win.

Regards,
  Godlord.

I am using Kubuntu 9.04 here :) Dual booting with Vista just in case I desperately need to play a game (not that my laptop can handle much anyway) or use Office 2007 for something.

I like the fact that everything just works, apart from a slight hiccup getting the Wi-Fi driver to work.

@♥♠DDunit:

> Hrm, you can't get a virus in Linux.

Oh trust me it's possible, just a hell of a lot harder because Linux is a less popular target. But having said that, Windows Vista/7 with UAC enabled has an arguably similar level of security. I'm not taking sides, I'm not a fanboy. Both OS's have their ups and downs.

I discovered today that Linux is not entirely crash-proof. A mistake in some code I was writing managed to hog up all of the resources on my laptop, making it impossible to do anything without forcibly turning it off by holding the power button.

@shane91c:

> Oh trust me it's possible, just a hell of a lot harder because Linux is a less popular target. But having said that, Windows Vista/7 with UAC enabled has an arguably similar level of security. I'm not taking sides, I'm not a fanboy. Both OS's have their ups and downs.
>
> I discovered today that Linux is not entirely crash-proof. A mistake in some code I was writing managed to hog up all of the resources on my laptop, making it impossible to do anything without forcibly turning it off by holding the power button.

Or that day when I was writing a shell script and it interpreted a part of my code as rm -r / and just started removing everything it could remove being non-root. Suddenly I had only 3-4GB left.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Godlord:

> Or that day when I was writing a shell script and it interpreted a part of my code as rm -r / and just started removing everything it could remove being non-root. Suddenly I had only 3-4GB left.
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

Lucky you didn't put "sudo" in front of that.

By the way, does anyone use Kopete? In my experience it's a pile of crap - It takes forever to send messages. And don't even think of using it for sending files… Anyone else had that problem?

@shane91c:

> Lucky you didn't put "sudo" in front of that.
>
> By the way, does anyone use Kopete? In my experience it's a pile of crap - It takes forever to send messages. And don't even think of using it for sending files… Anyone else had that problem?

My shell script doesn't allow me to run it as root. Oh and it was from 12GB to 3-4GB :icon_nif:.

Regards,
  Godlord.