Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Speeding Up Your Windows Computer

Alster

Windows, probably the slowest operating system out there. Lets face it, Unix based operating systems like Linux or Mac run 10 times as fast as a Windows machine. But this isn't a debate about which OS is better. This simple tutorial will show you some very easy ways to speed up your Windows computer. It's advised you use at least 2 of the methods below.

Method 1 - Clean Up.
Microsoft's Disk Clean Up Utility isn't the best thing in the world. That's why I'm recomending CCleaner for this tutorial. You can download it [here](http://www.ccleaner.com/). Just install it and start it up. Then click "Run Cleaner"

Method 2 - Fix the Issues
CCleaner also provides us with a utility to fix registry issues. These can cause system slow down and cause applications to malfunction so it's a good idea to fix them. In CCleaner go to the left hand menu and select "Issues". Then check all the boxes in the "Issue Scanning Settings" pane and finally click "Scan for Issues". When it's finished scanning click "Fix Selected Issues". Make a backup of your registry if you wish then click "Fix All Issues" in the new window that opens.

Method 3 - Defrag!
The built in defrag sucks. The XP one is as slow as hell and the Vista one doesn't even tell you what's going on! So I recommend downloading Auslogics Disk Defrag. You can get it [here](http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-Disk-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10567503.html?tag+dl-blog). Install it then run it. When it starts up you'll see a list of hard drives. Select the one you wish to defrag then click "defrag". This utility will defragment your hard drive twice as fast as the built in one!

Method 4 - Don't Run So Many Programs!
Simple.

I'll add pictures soon.

Unless you're running a server, there's actually no need for defragmentation unless you have moved, copied, removed and created a lot of files and I really mean a lot. The performance gained is usually disappointing for the time spent doing it.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Godlord:

> Unless you're running a server, there's actually no need for defragmentation unless you have moved, copied, removed and created a lot of files and I really mean a lot. The performance gained is usually disappointing for the time spent doing it.
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

True. But for someone like me who hasn't defragged their computer in about a year a half it increases the speed quite a lot.

@>.<:

> I suggest Tuneup Utilities 2009 it has all of that plus 8x more things that are so much better.

That's only a 30 day trial. Both the programs I listed are 100% free.

> True. But for someone like me who hasn't defragged their computer in about a year a half it increases the speed quite a lot.

I'm running several computers for several years and I never saw the need for defragmentation and if I did it, I'd be mad because I just wasted my time running some random application trying to restructure everything.

Regards,
  Godlord.

Method 5- Check your running processes every few weeks, as well as startup items and such in Msconfig. (ensure theres nothing running you don't want, especially malicious processes). Revising the files that load on startup can greatly increase loading time when starting your computer.

@xelander:

> What does that do Godlord?
> If it fucks up my computer Id be sad.

It allows you to change what programs run on startup. Obviously, don't disable the important things, like explorer.exe and others, but you can get rid of a lot of things that don't always need to run.