Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question for you gutiar people

Gwen

I have a friend that wants to buy her husband a guitar. He is more interrested in an acoustic guitar, but she found one that is an electric acoustic guitar. I assume that is an acoustic that has electric pickups?

Her question is would an electric acoustic sound like a normal acoustic, or will the electric componets interfear with it?

@Sherlock:

> Pretty sure they are just acoustic guitars with pickups.
> And it will sound like an acoustic guitar until you plug it into an amp.
>
> Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
>
> Yeah..

It's not actually pickups, I think there is a mic on the inside to pic up the acoustics.
I forget exactly how though.

yeah… she was mostly concerned about it not being plugged in and sounding different.

Basically he had a bass with an amp, and wants to learn guitar, but wants to learn acoustic. She found this electic acoustic and thought why not, since he already has an amp, but wanted to make sure that if he wasnt plugged in it would sound ok.

umm… i dont think it has anything to do with inteligence or sanity....

The inside of it could be filled with electronics so it could give a muffled sound, compared to a regular guitar. electic guitars dont sound like acoustic guitars when they are not plugged in....
(Yes i know because they are not hollowed out like an acoustic)... but still for people that are not familiar with guitars, its a valid question.

@Gwen:

> umm… i dont think it has anything to do with inteligence or sanity....
>
> The inside of it could be filled with electronics so it could give a muffled sound, compared to a regular guitar. electic guitars dont sound like acoustic guitars when they are not plugged in....
> (Yes i know because they are not hollowed out like an acoustic)... but still for people that are not familiar with guitars, its a valid question.

I don't think that the extra electrical components will mess up the sound.
Most guitar shops will let you try them out anyway.

I did not read the replies so it may already been answered.

A acoustic/electic guitar like you call it is ineed a acoustic guitar with a ?soundhole? and pickups. Which gives you the opportunity to also play with a amp.

Also for guitar recording this is pretty good, as the pickup registrates other tones then the ?soundhole?

Its a diffrent sound, for recording.. record both and put together for the nicest sound. For regular playing, i prefer normal with my accoustic.. but that depends on the musician himself/herself :)

Enough info?