Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Microphone in game?

@[SB:

> ¤Valkrie¤ link=topic=51567.msg541814#msg541814 date=1252413066]
> How can I make it to where if you insert a microphone into your comp, how can you speak on a Eclipse game? I think it might be a source edit. :P

Just get TeamView, Ventrillo or perhaps even Skype. The use of a microphone in a game isn't really useful as you aren't focusing on the development of the actual game, instead you're focusing on a feature, which might be totally useless.

Regards,
  Godlord.

• 2 months later...
@Tyr:

> dx has nothing to do with it.
> Use ventrillo, teamspeak, mumble or skype. i recommend vent though.

Sorry I miss understood what you mean dx8 has nothing to do with it?

> DirectPlayVoice: real voice network communication during a game. This feature can be combined with the DirectSound in order to create different sound effects and with the DirectPlay for transmission via the Internet.

well someone has to confirm if its even possible in dx7 but dx8 for sure. I don't know if dx7 offers the correct capabilities to perform such an operation. You have to understand back in the day voice on the internet was like our cams over computer. Crappy quality not crystal clear always issues :P

• 2 months later...
DX7 is capable of supporting it.  We all tend to think of DirectX as a graphics-only system, but DirectSound7 would be able to do streaming audio across pre-configured channels.  The issue I have with this is that it tends to get sloppy as far as data-consumption, and would likely bog down the server.

Vent is the best for this.  It would have to be done in source, but I don't rightly know how off the top of my head.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow..  I know Robin has the same feelings I do here, hence his "directplay is shit" and "We do? :|" at Crypto's post.

But, it's true.  DirectPlay is terrible.  And I look at DirectX as a widespread API. >_>

Now, ontopic.  The whole "inserting TeamSpeak into a game" sounds retarded.. If you're gonna add microphone support, it'd be "inserting microphone support into a game."  I was actually thinking about doing this, but having it all operate through Private Messaging, I suppose I could say.  But, you could easily have a little menu where you type a players name and hit a send button, and sends him a request to stream Audio with you, pretty simple, in my opinion.. I might add this feature to Eclipse.NET for testing purposes, and if it works, and everyone wants it, I'll leave it in.

• 1 month later...
i can help with this i did this for my self so just follow the steps

1\. download and install ventrilo
2\. go in to your ventrilo file directory (ex. C:\programfiles\ventrilo )
3\. copy all the files in the ventrilo directory.
4\. make a new folder named "voice" in you games client folder
5\. paste the ventrilo files in this folder
6\. open the eclipse vb6 project (client side) and create go to frmStable or w/e your game screen's form is
7\. make a button named vent and lable it w/e
8\. double click that button you just added and past this in it's private sub
```
Call Shell(App.path & "\voice\Ventrilo.exe", vbNormalFocus)
```9\. create client and test it make sure the voice folder with everything in it is in your client folder do not change the name of the folder or u will get an error

Note: I created a ventrilo help button that tells people how to access my server.

ventrilo download: http://ventrilo.com/download.php
(be sure to download the clent!)

ventrilo server: http://ventrilo.com/download.php
(under server programs THIS ONE DOES NOT GO INTO THE CLIENT FOLDER THIS IS YOUR VENTRILO SERVER!)

if you have any more questions just pm me